Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rest of itinerary cancelled after first flown segment - United IT strikes again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rest of itinerary cancelled after first flown segment - United IT strikes again!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 8:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat

I've seen (and experienced) some of the horrors of post-3/3 "glitches", but I haven't seen any stories posted as fundamentally frustrating as this one. Mods, if this belong in a consolidated thread, please feel free to merge.

My outbound was BOS-LAX-SAN, and my return was SAN-IAH-BOS. This was a revenue booking directly with United. No codeshares, all UA metal. No protected segments or other funny business. Straight-up round trip booking.

I printed physical boarding passed at BOS for both outbound segments, and the gate agent scanned my BOS-LAX boarding pass at the gate. I even saw my name on the display with seat number.

Upon arriving at LAX, I notice that the entire reservation disappeared from my account. Putting in the PNR directly shows that it was "cancelled." I saw a CSR at LAX who told me that my reservation was cancelled because I no-showed the BOS-LAX flight -- which would be quite unexpected considering I just arrived on that flight!

Thankfully, the agent was able to manually reconstruct my itinerary, complete with the upgraded segments; there was no harm done because my layover was over an hour. However, if this had been a tight connection (I actually considered taking the earlier flight that was a 30-minute same-terminal connection), a passenger in my situation might have been SOL.

The CSR said that she had never seen anything like this before, and spent quite a while after fixing my reservation trying to research the problem.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Old May 27, 2012, 8:39 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Did you have any sort of IRROPS that would have required a backup flight put into your record?

SHARES will cancel any "no show" segment, even if it is not ticketed. If an agent puts a backup segment in the itinerary, and forgets to remove it, it will cancel everything.

It is much more ruthless than Fastair, which would only remove segments if a TICKETED segment was not flown.
Old May 27, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
Did you have any sort of IRROPS that would have required a backup flight put into your record?

SHARES will cancel any "no show" segment, even if it is not ticketed. If an agent puts a backup segment in the itinerary, and forgets to remove it, it will cancel everything.

It is much more ruthless than Fastair, which would only remove segments if a TICKETED segment was not flown.
It's almost like they dream of ways to mess with us.
Old May 27, 2012, 8:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Good question, but no irrops handling of any sort. I took the originally booked flight without any changes.

When I looked at my reservation the morning before departure, it had exactly the 4 segments I was going to take.

I'll also write to 1kvoice and hope for a response within 6-8 weeks
Old May 27, 2012, 8:50 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

I didn't read your post closely enough. Looks like you didn't have any protected segments.

I wonder if you were accidentally unseated after you were boarded onto the flight.
Old May 27, 2012, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
I'll also write to 1kvoice and hope for a response within 6-8 weeks
If it were me I'd also do a "Contact Customer Care" & give the g/a a compliment for his/her help, honesty, and professionalism!
Old May 27, 2012, 9:02 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I see it happen almost every day.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastair
I see it happen almost every day.
Wow. That seems problematic... Do you know why it happens? Or is it a variety of reasons?
Old May 27, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
This happened to me too flying LAX-EWR-FLL. On the outbound flight, the return portion was cancelled. Then upon checking in for my return flight and printing out boarding passes for both flights, I received a message on my United app that I needed to check in for my connecting flight at EWR, even though I had already checked in and received a boarding pass. Upon clicking on it, I saw that it re-assigned me another seat (away from my other family member) and gave away the seat I had a boarding pass for. It took me over an hour to get back my seat.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:06 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Wow. That seems problematic... Do you know why it happens? Or is it a variety of reasons?
Most likely a variety of reasons, most that the OP touched on as exclusions from his reservation. Dupe bookings, not boarded, not scanned, irrops reroute without cleaning up the PNR...
Old May 27, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
........... I saw that it re-assigned me another seat (away from my other family member) and gave away the seat I had a boarding pass for. It took me over an hour to get back my seat.
As we say back home --- "This is rare as hen's teeth"!
Nobody hardly ever get's their seat back on this airline.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:26 pm

Red face This happened to me a year ago to the dayiego

I've seen (and experienced) some of the horrors of post-3/3 "glitches", but I haven't seen any stories posted as fundamentally frustrating as this one. Mods, if this belong in a consolidated thread, please feel free to merge.

My outbound was BOS-LAX-SAN, and my return was SAN-IAH-BOS. This was a revenue booking directly with United. No codeshares, all UA metal. No protected segments or other funny business. Straight-up round trip booking.

I printed physical boarding passed at BOS for both outbound segments, and the gate agent scanned my BOS-LAX boarding pass at the gate. I even saw my name on the display with seat number.

Upon arriving at LAX, I notice that the entire reservation disappeared from my account. Putting in the PNR directly shows that it was "cancelled." I saw a CSR at LAX who told me that my reservation was cancelled because I no-showed the BOS-LAX flight -- which would be quite unexpected considering I just arrived on that flight!

Thankfully, the agent was able to manually reconstruct my itinerary, complete with the upgraded segments; there was no harm done because my layover was over an hour. However, if this had been a tight connection (I actually considered taking the earlier flight that was a 30-minute same-terminal connection), a passenger in my situation might have been SOL.

Same as you a united ticket round trip pwm through washington, huston then sandiego. With same return a week later. I was flying with my daughhter. Her flights were fine. I was told in portland that I would need to get seat assignments in washington. Upon talking with agent she said my flight was completed and Washington was my final destination. Long story short (6) agents later and with the pilot coming out to see why the plane was delayed was Me saying that is my continuing flight and I need to be on it.. I did get on, with my daughter. Thank god I had printed out my itinerary and showed them. They said with united/ continental combining my trip had been deleted on its first leg. Nice Way to start our trip out... Geeze

The CSR said that she had never seen anything like this before, and spent quite a while after fixing my reservation trying to research the problem.

Old May 27, 2012, 9:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

SHARES will cancel any "no show" segment, even if it is not ticketed. If an agent puts a backup segment in the itinerary, and forgets to remove it, it will cancel everything. ....
yeap, this happened to me earlier this month (the icing on the cake of a bad day) -- seems asking to be protected in the case of irrops / delays / .... is a recipe for disaster.

Is there a specific action to take as the passenger to make sure a request for protection does not do more harm than good?

Any word if UA is going to change procedures to correct this?
Old May 27, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP , Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Plat, Global Entry
That's crazy, glad you got it resolved and that you found a competent agent that could help or least try to help.

I just experienced something similar but certainly not while flying. I logged into my UA account this morning to find an international flight SFO-ORD-AMS-FRA-SFO simply missing in my reservations. I did more research and found that it was cancelled. Called the Premier Line, after 40 minutes they managed to rebuild the itinerary including upgrades but it took a supervisor. The answer as to why this happened was wait for it, "a schedule change". It's a good thing I check them almost daily. The PMUA agent apologized profusely and told me to keep checking my reservations for this stuff. Of course, it wasn't until later I realized they booked me on the wrong flight out of FRA to AMS giving me only a 2 hour connection rather than the 3 I originally planned. And they took an additional GPU out of my account. I guess I'll need another 40 min phone call to get that part resolved. Oneworld is more and more attractive by the day.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:55 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yeap, this happened to me earlier this month (the icing on the cake of a bad day) -- seems asking to be protected in the case of irrops / delays / .... is a recipe for disaster.

Is there a specific action to take as the passenger to make sure a request for protection does not do more harm than good?

Any word if UA is going to change procedures to correct this?
I believe technically we aren't supposed to be putting in backup protection at all.

When getting protected on a flight, make sure you confirm the backup(s) are at the end of the reservation, the last segment(s). This way, if you do not use them, it doesn't affect any segments below it.

I usually place backups in this way, but I know some agents place them immediately after the original flight, as the PNR is easier to read this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.