Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rest of itinerary cancelled after first flown segment - United IT strikes again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rest of itinerary cancelled after first flown segment - United IT strikes again!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 9:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
I believe technically we aren't supposed to be putting in backup protection at all. ...
not good

.... When getting protected on a flight, make sure you confirm the backup(s) are at the end of the reservation, the last segment(s). This way, if you do not use them, it doesn't affect any segments below it. ....
thanks for the suggestion
Old May 27, 2012, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by C5Driver
And they took an additional GPU out of my account. I guess I'll need another 40 min phone call to get that part resolved.
A call to MP should get your GPU returned to your account in a matter of minutes!
Anyway, that's how long it has taken for my RPU's to get returned, as they can see how many were pulled and for which flights. You may need to explain exactly which flights were cancelled that one of the upgrades was attached to, so they don't pull the latest one again, putting you back to square one.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:01 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I believe technically we aren't supposed to be putting in backup protection at all.

When getting protected on a flight, make sure you confirm the backup(s) are at the end of the reservation, the last segment(s). This way, if you do not use them, it doesn't affect any segments below it.

I usually place backups in this way, but I know some agents place them immediately after the original flight, as the PNR is easier to read this way.
Add an ARNK at the end, then place the backup segment after it. That is the way the automated CARS system does it. When cncling the backup becuase they made the earlier flight, you must cnl both the segment as well as the ARNK or the PNR will not end (an ARNK cannot be the last segmnt on a PNR.)
Old May 27, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by cranky1K
It's almost like they dream of ways to mess with us.
Just wait until they decide they want to bring back mandatory paper tickets
Old May 27, 2012, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Beerman92
Just wait until they decide they want to bring back mandatory paper tickets
Mis-connected in IAH a few months ago. Requested to return home instead of continuing on --- It took a UC lady nearly an hour to redo my itinerary and I needed to sign some sort of a credit card slip with red ink on the bottom of each page that was run through a 1950's impression slide thingie-majigger. Got red ink all over my hands.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Mis-connected in IAH a few months ago. Requested to return home instead of continuing on --- It took a UC lady nearly an hour to redo my itinerary and I needed to sign some sort of a credit card slip with red ink on the bottom of each page that was run through a 1950's impression slide thingie-majigger. Got red ink all over my hands.
Awesome. Maybe United has mastered time travel and that is how they will drive loyalty
Old May 27, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
Upon arriving at LAX, I notice that the entire reservation disappeared from my account. Putting in the PNR directly shows that it was "cancelled." I saw a CSR at LAX who told me that my reservation was cancelled because I no-showed the BOS-LAX flight -- which would be quite unexpected considering I just arrived on that flight!
I've had this happen on PMUA. I've had it happen on PMCO.

It happens. People screw up, type in the wrong number, and suddenly you're not on the flight. It shouldn't happen, but whilst ever there's humans involved somewhere in the process it will!

Any chance you were near the top of the upgrade list? Maybe they were trying to process the upgrade and forgot to re-board you afterwards?
Old May 28, 2012, 12:08 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by docbert
I've had this happen on PMUA. I've had it happen on PMCO.

It happens. People screw up, type in the wrong number, and suddenly you're not on the flight. It shouldn't happen, but whilst ever there's humans involved somewhere in the process it will!

Any chance you were near the top of the upgrade list? Maybe they were trying to process the upgrade and forgot to re-board you afterwards?
I would be willing to wager that there are significantly more itineraries on UA being cncld by automation than by manual cnls. I would give odds that it isn't even close to a 1:1 ratio, but that the automation is cncling bat the minimum 5:1 vs manual. No maybe an agent hasn't done something perfect to cause som of the auto cncls, lik show a passenger boarded, or rebook with an ARNK and new segment at theend, but the machine is brutal, it doesn't have an overseer who does QC on it, it just does what it does.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fastair
I would be willing to wager that there are significantly more itineraries on UA being cncld by automation than by manual cnls.
Absolutely. I wasn't suggesting that a human canceled the reservation - but that a human did something that triggered the automatic cancellation (unboarding to process an upgrade and forgetting to re-board, etc)
Old May 28, 2012, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Absolutely. I wasn't suggesting that a human canceled the reservation - but that a human did something that triggered the automatic cancellation (unboarding to process an upgrade and forgetting to re-board, etc)
That's one of the few airport related (now shares does have numerous reservations related) beneits of shares. No need to deboard, upgrade, and reboard. It is all tied to your "sequence number" (the order you check in on that flight number <Not that flight segment, but number, regardless of how many legs tat flight number has>) and reservation. Sequence number 50 is Mr docbert in 32c. He shows onboard. I upgrade him to 2C. He now shows onboard in F. No need to do anything except notify him. UA's system was tied toseat number. Mr Docbert of 32c is onbaord and we upgrade him. Can't. Need to deboad 32c, upgrade 32c, then reboard him.

The whole PNR and sequence number stinks compared to te apollo way in just about every aspect, except for changing a seat of a passenger who has already boarded. In this single instance, the shares method is better. The same logic applies to seat dupes on the gate reader. Th sequnce number is never duplicatd, no matter how many times you changethe seats. I've yet to have a shares gatereader say there was a dupe seat assignement. When someone's sequence tries to board with the wrong seat assignment (they changed seats an they didn't trow away the correct boarding pass,) the shares machine just spits out the right boarding pass for him. It doesn't matter what seat he is in, a unique identifier (sequence number) is queued per person, vs the UA system that showed "seats" as boarded.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. Almost a real nightmare. I was on JFK to SFO to HKG and cleared JFK to SFO leg an hour earlier flight to give myself more time in SFO. While on the PS flight, I noticed my existing reservation disappeared and my seats were available on the remaining 3 flights segments. When I landed in SFO, United Club agent said never seen it and couldn't reconstruct. Told to call 1K, and it took them 45 minutes to reconstruct and almost lost the only business class seat to HKG. Return legs were also cancelled. Was told that agent at JFK didn't do something right when I boarded, which caused Shares to think I was a no show. Never told what agent did wrong, so I have no idea how to prevent in the future. Extraordiarily frustrating. If I had to wait on phone, I would have missed the only flight from SFO to HKG that day.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've had this happen twice this year so far. No IRROPS, no protections, nothing that should have caused it.

The first time was boarding in SIN returning to the US. Toward the end of boarding one of the GAs came up to my seat and asked to see my BP. She then confirmed my presence into her walkie-talkie.

A few weeks later I went to look at a return flight (different itin) and found it gone. Turns out I was registered as a no-show. Getting the flight back (and my upgrade) took some time I'd prefer to have used in other ways.

The only reason this was caught in the first instance was likely due to checking a bag. Otherwise my layover in NRT would have been interesting.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fastair
Add an ARNK at the end, then place the backup segment after it. That is the way the automated CARS system does it. When cncling the backup becuase they made the earlier flight, you must cnl both the segment as well as the ARNK or the PNR will not end (an ARNK cannot be the last segmnt on a PNR.)

And if the backup is used, make sure the GA cancels all appropriate of the old segments. I recently rebooked SMF-IAH-XXX to SMF-LAX-XXX during the change, and after getting my BPs and going on my way, I did my customary double check of what the GA did because I don't trust SHARES, and sure enough my booking was:

SMF-LAX
LAX-XXX
IAH-XXX
(and then my return)

I called to get 1K, er, the Premier desk, to cancel IAH-XXX for me before it became a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.