FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1350437-upgrades-ua-mp-flyer-copa-post-mp-separation.html)

qisu Jun 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

CPU will be gone july 1, but at least RPU/GPU can still be used on copa.

xaxacatla Aug 11, 2015 9:45 am

Turbulence

Maybe the Copa schism isn't working out real well, at least not yet. I called yesterday to ask when online ConnectMiles redemptions would become available and the representative put me on hold to find out what I was talking about. Finally, she said that's set for November.

ermintrude Sep 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Using ua systemwides on copa

I was thinking of going to South America in a couple of months and I found out that I could use my systemwides on COPA without fare class restrictions (above N). Anyway as I would be flying through PTY I wondered if each systemwide would cover both legs: NYC to PTY to XXX like UA would (stopover in PTY would probably be just a few hours).

If you know please let me know...

boat9781 Sep 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 25464503)

There has only been one post on that thread since the breakup of the UA/Copa relationship. I've been wondering about this too... what exactly are the rules for UA-issued certs for travel on Copa? Thanks!

qisu Sep 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Back in January, I upgraded my friend LAX-PTY-EZE. that one way 2 segments on Copa required just 1 united RPU.

ermintrude Sep 22, 2015 5:39 pm

chaps thanks for your replys

qisu that's helpful and thanks for letting me know but as you know since January COPA has (IMO unfortunately) become it's own company and lots of rules have changed.....

CAPT Tee Sep 22, 2015 6:48 pm

I booked a Copa flight after the break-up (on UA stock to get the PQD): JFK-PTY-MDE. I called to use my RPU to UG the flights. Only JFK-PTY leg was available and PTY-MDE was not. No big deal, PTY-MDE is only about an hour flight. So I got UG'd for the JFK-PTY leg. But I was told that if PTY-MDE UG becomes available later, I will have to use another RPU to UG that leg.

One RPU can be used on both segments only if UGs on the both flights are available at the same time.

rob_flies_ua Sep 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee (Post 25464866)
I booked a Copa flight after the break-up (on UA stock to get the PQD): JFK-PTY-MDE. I called to use my RPU to UG the flights. Only JFK-PTY leg was available and PTY-MDE was not. No big deal, PTY-MDE is only about an hour flight. So I got UG'd for the JFK-PTY leg. But I was told that if PTY-MDE UG becomes available later, I will have to use another RPU to UG that leg.

One RPU can be used on both segments only if UGs on the both flights are available at the same time.

That ain't right. I've used a single RPU and extended it to cover another segment when that became available.

CAPT Tee Sep 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua (Post 25464906)
That ain't right. I've used a single RPU and extended it to cover another segment when that became available.

Was it for flight after 1 JUL 2015?

rob_flies_ua Sep 23, 2015 12:33 am

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee (Post 25465007)
Was it for flight after 1 JUL 2015?

mid August

CAPT Tee Sep 23, 2015 7:39 am

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua (Post 25464906)

I called again today to UG the return legs. UG'd both segments of the return trip with one RPU. Asked about UG on the second leg on the outbound and was told again it would take another RPU. This is the third person told me the same thing.

Kacee Sep 23, 2015 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee (Post 25466803)
I called again today to UG the return legs. UG'd both segments of the return trip with one RPU. Asked about UG on the second leg on the outbound and was told again it would take another RPU. This is the third person told me the same thing.

That's what the Copa ConnectMiles website says - 1 segment per instrument.

ConnectMiles - Upgrade Certificates

swaigiux Sep 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25468466)
That's what the Copa ConnectMiles website says - 1 segment per instrument.

ConnectMiles - Upgrade Certificates

which is irrelevant as he is trying to upgrade with United instruments.

ermintrude Sep 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Written response from GS agent today:

One certificate covers an entire journey from original to destination of your outbound flights and then another certificate if you had return flights on Copa.

Also, when upgrading on Copa it is wither available or not available, they do not allow waitlists or upgrade stand bys.

All multi-cabin flights operated by Copa Airlines are eligible for Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades without fare restrictions

Kacee Sep 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by swaigiux (Post 25469491)
which is irrelevant as he is trying to upgrade with United instruments.

It's really not because there are several reports that CM is now requiring an instrument per segment.

And, as is typical, agents are giving out conflicting information.