Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
COPA ceased using MileagePlus in July 2015 --forming its own program, ConnectMiles. However, COPA has continue to allow the use of UA MP GPUs.RPUs
With the introduction of PlusPoints, those are usable on CM.

FAQs:
Q: Can I use United GPUs/RPUs (and PlusPoints) on Copa?
A: Yes, both GPUs and RPUs can be used on Copa operated flights.

Q: What fare class do I need to be available for a GPU/RPU?
A: Z space on Copa. Or is it X? There are conflicting reports.

Q: Where can I find out what fare class is available?
A: Expertflyer is the best best. There are a few (old) reports that you can look for Z space on the UA site using expert mode. But that does not appear to be true.

There are also reports that Copa's I and Z inventory are closely, if not directly, correlated. Use the UA site to search for business saver award.

Q: Who do I call to process the upgrade?
A: Upgrades are processed by the "Star Alliance Desk" (which is not part of UA). Instead it appears to be a facilitator for travel on different *A carriers. Call United and asked to be transferred to the Star Alliance Desk. (Please add a direct number here if anyone has it).

Q: How does this work?
A: the Star Alliance Desk will create a United PNR for your Copa reservation and then apply the instrument for upgrade. You can see this PNR later in your UA account.

Q: Can I waitlist for an upgrade?
A: No. There is no current mechanism to wait list for flights. Keep checking back to see if space opens up.

Q: What fares are mileage upgradeable?
A: Copa Airlines – M, H, Q, K, V, U, S, O, W, E, L, T and A class

Pre-separation thread
COPA Upgrades for United members?
Related thread
Mileage Plus PQD/PQM for Copa?

Print Wikipost

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
Usually, the food and the crew makes up for the old hardware. I wouldn't call it reliable though, as with any airline
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone have experience on whether elites using MUAs on COPA incur a copay when upgrading from discounted fare buckets?

Last edited by dkc192; Dec 26, 2018 at 12:33 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by Kacee
SFO-LAX-BOG-MDE (two stops) can be had in the $1400 range (earlier in the year it was even cheaper). LAX-BOG is the 788 with lie-flats. UA will sell the ticket, so you get full PQD.

It's definitely superior to the UA routing via IAH, which is also two stops, much more expensive, and no longer has lie-flats.
I cannot get the UA website to quote me CM metal on various routes (SFO-xxx-BOG,BOG-xxx-LIM,etc), it will offer AV or UA... It will offer award bookings on CM on those routes though...
UA does have the 757-200 lie-flats on the afternoon (evening arrival) flight into BOG...
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1k
I've never done a COPA upgrade with RPUs. It sounds pretty interesting, but looks like I may need some help. I was trying to look for Z but when I look at SFO-PTY for any given date I don't see that fare class in expertflyer anymore, here's an example: C9 J9 D7 R0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 V9 U9 S9 O9 W9 E0 L0 T0 A0

Should I be looking for R now, or did they just hide Z?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:11 am

You don’t see the upgrade bucket on expertflyer, you need to call the United Copa desk (Mexico) only they can check
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by mrt88
Should I be looking for R now, or did they just hide Z?
You can't see Copa's Z bucket. However, if you can book a Saver Award on them through United, that apparently closely tracks Z or is the same...
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k
This is very helpful, thank you to both!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Seems like if you want to apply an RPU on a Copa flight that is UA codeshare is like winning the lottery.

I've confirmed the following after multiple calls. Assume you booked a UA ticket (016 ticket) AAA-PTY-BBB and PTY-BBB is a UA code share and you want to use an RPU on PTY-BBB then they need to convert the PTY-BBB UA codeshare flight into a Copa flight and then they can apply the RPU. However, this involves two steps:

1) the exact fare class that you are originally booked on the UA codeshare flight must be available on the Copa flight.
2) there needs to be availability on the upgrade fare. This means that they can not waitlist you.

Both conditions need to be satisfied in order to use the RPU.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:24 pm

Correct. This is why I always call them and check for availability before buying the ticket
Old May 20, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Advice on booking on COPA

I need to fly from MCO to PTY at the end of this month and there are some great nonstops on COPA. However, I've never flown them, and while they appear to have previously been tightly "married" with United, it seems they split off several years ago. In my searches, it seems it's possible to use RPUs for upgrades. However, there seems to be differing data on HOW to apply for the upgrade. Hence I've got two questions:

1) How should I best book the ticket? Do I need to be in a specific fare class to upgrade?
2) How do I go about actually requesting the upgrade?

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1k since 2010
RPU with Copa, GPU with LH/NH manual mileage credit request?

Hi,

It occurred to me several times that whenever you get an RPU with Copa airlines (or GPU with LH or NH), your booking class changes to a Z class and United fails to credit miles (or PQM, PQD). Is this some kind of system glitch that I need to ask them to re-credit miles manually? It happened back in November 2018 and I had to request manually (and worked). This time in May, an agent told me that Z class with Copa is not eligible for miles (even though the original itinerary was a W class). I had to send another email saying that it was an RPU from W to Z class. Any ideas or comments? Thanks,
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I read this also on a blog. Sounds like one of those things United takes years to fix. I guess you should keep complaining up the chain of command and hope that it eventually gets the ball rolling.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The wast majority credits correctly without any intervention, definitely on 016 ticket stock. If it does not retro credit is usually quite painless
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is a long-standing issue also with cash upgrades and other types of upgrades and many times this a partner issue and not UA.

It is the partner that reports the earning to UA and tells UA no miles are earned -- normally it is not UA that posts the partner flights, And much of this occurs because partners use the same fare class for upgrades as awards and unless the partner tracks the needed unlying information correctly, the upgrade get reported to UA as an award and not the underlying purchased fare. There are numerous examples of this over the years. Last year there was a period time where LH was having this problem but it seems to have been resolved. COPA has had this issue on and off for years.
Previuous COPA reports
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29134603-post51.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30352543-post72.html

- Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)
SA (SAA) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27524649-post266.html
dkmatter and SydUAflyer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 2019 at 7:59 pm Reason: links
Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:21 pm

UPDATE: MileagePlus / UA Reservations will punt you to the UA website's CM/LH/NH GPU page instead of UA's Mexico Reservations / Star Alliance Desk, the online upgrade tool now includes Copa. Unfortunately, UA is requiring 40 PlusPoints _per_ _leg_ according to Web Support and that page...
(and whilst Copa is telling me Z availability, the UA website tool is not showing me any upgrades )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.