Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
COPA ceased using MileagePlus in July 2015 --forming its own program, ConnectMiles. However, COPA has continue to allow the use of UA MP GPUs.RPUs
With the introduction of PlusPoints, those are usable on CM.

FAQs:
Q: Can I use United GPUs/RPUs (and PlusPoints) on Copa?
A: Yes, both GPUs and RPUs can be used on Copa operated flights.

Q: What fare class do I need to be available for a GPU/RPU?
A: Z space on Copa. Or is it X? There are conflicting reports.

Q: Where can I find out what fare class is available?
A: Expertflyer is the best best. There are a few (old) reports that you can look for Z space on the UA site using expert mode. But that does not appear to be true.

There are also reports that Copa's I and Z inventory are closely, if not directly, correlated. Use the UA site to search for business saver award.

Q: Who do I call to process the upgrade?
A: Upgrades are processed by the "Star Alliance Desk" (which is not part of UA). Instead it appears to be a facilitator for travel on different *A carriers. Call United and asked to be transferred to the Star Alliance Desk. (Please add a direct number here if anyone has it).

Q: How does this work?
A: the Star Alliance Desk will create a United PNR for your Copa reservation and then apply the instrument for upgrade. You can see this PNR later in your UA account.

Q: Can I waitlist for an upgrade?
A: No. There is no current mechanism to wait list for flights. Keep checking back to see if space opens up.

Q: What fares are mileage upgradeable?
A: Copa Airlines – M, H, Q, K, V, U, S, O, W, E, L, T and A class

Pre-separation thread
COPA Upgrades for United members?
Related thread
Mileage Plus PQD/PQM for Copa?

Print Wikipost

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I've finally gotten MPSC to acknowledge it at least, so will see how it goes from here. The last person who got my email seems to at least understand what's going on. Although they did say it could be 4 weeks for credit, lol.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
Looks like United now has to re-issue the ticket in case of a codeshare flight?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by schlang
Looks like United now has to re-issue the ticket in case of a codeshare flight?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
Here is what happened:
- I had booked a Copa flight on UA metal with codeshare flight numbers
- The agent on the phone said she has to re-issue the ticket with Copa flight numbers in order to apply the RPU
- Now I have Copa flight numbers on my re-issued ticket, and then afterwards the RPU was applied through the Copa Upgrade Desk in Mexico
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Copa - upgrades using RPUs and baggage allowance

Hopefully helpful to at least one person and in the right place.. did a quick search and couldn't find anything relevant.

Flights booked on COPA through a regular travel agent, and with COPA ticket number. JFK-PTY-ASU for a GS and a non-status on separate record locators.

Managed to upgrade with RPU, by callng UA who reissued the ticket with a UA ticket reference.

PTY - ASU was confirmed with the first call, and was told that although JFK-PTY was showing available for upgrade, the agent couldn't get it to go through.. call back and see if it would work.

Called back a day or two later, and agent said yep, no problem to get the JFK - PTY confirmed.

Note that the RPUs were being applied to Mrs Limey (GS) and MIL Limey (no status, different record locator).

Mrs Limey being well educated in the way of the world called 24 hours before departure to check (maybe she just doesn't trust me, which based on what happened would be well founded) and found out that the tix had not been properly synced, so spent a while on the phone as United had a friendly chat with COPA.)

During the course of a couple of conversation, Mrs Limey was given incorrect info by a COPA person regarding the extra bag for *G, so I printed off the COPA policy and she called back and spoke to an agent who confirmed there was an extra 70lb bag.

(The concern during this period is that COPA isn't accepting even paid "excess" baggage, so it would suck to show up with a 70lb bag and be told to leave it behind.)

Hopefully useful for someone... seems like one of the better uses of RPUs to get out of a terrible economy seat into a slightly less terrible "business" class on 737s.

Btw one RPU covered both legs, which is almost 12 hours..... that's a good deal IMHO.

Last edited by LimeyFlyer; Aug 1, 2018 at 2:22 pm Reason: Clarify that UA had to take over the ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

confirmed RPU gives premium cabin bag allowance. Not had an issue w/ that on Copa. *G allowance should also apply. I see no issues here.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are times when even UA in the past has not allowed 70# bags even for elites due to embargoes. I would be very cautious in such situations.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1k
Do UA Elites still get CPU's on Copa? It's been years and i know the UA(CO) - COPA relationship has changed.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
no more CPU - only RPU/GPU
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Does a mixed-carrier itin (eg, IAH-PTY on UA connecting to CM for PTY-SCL require 2 UA RPUs or will one suffice for the entire one-way?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Does a mixed-carrier itin (eg, IAH-PTY on UA connecting to CM for PTY-SCL require 2 UA RPUs or will one suffice for the entire one-way?
Mixed carrier upgrades require separate upgrades. Each carrier requires a separate upgrade.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:39 pm

I bought a round-trip U class ticket on Copa with United directly on a 016 ticket.
I received the receipt showing the PQM/PQD, award miles, etc.

I then used a United regional upgrade for both segments. This changed the class from U to Z.
My new receipt showed 0 earning in all categories. I asked the agent and they said it was just a glitch and would post. Well it hasn't and Mileage Plus says all they can do is send the request for mileage credit to Copa even though it is a 016 ticket.
Has anyone experienced this before?

Numerous calls to MPSC and get all kinds of nonsense about them having to deal with CM. Why? It's a 016 ticket. They can see history and usage.
And the idea about boarding passes, what about people who use their phone? Welcome to 2018.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 24, 2018 at 8:40 pm Reason: merging posts by same member
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chuck1
I bought a round-trip U class ticket on Copa with United directly on a 016 ticket.

I then used a United regional upgrade for both segments. This changed the class from U to Z.
My new receipt showed 0 earning in all categories. I asked the agent and they said it was just a glitch and would post. Well it hasn't and Mileage Plus says all they can do is send the request for mileage credit to Copa even though it is a 016 ticket.
Yes this has occurred with COPA and other partner flights --- it takes persistence (may 3, even 4 tries) but usually can be corrected.
It may take a human to contact COPA. COPA has to approved the mileage to be creditted.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 24, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Numerous calls to MPSC and get all kinds of nonsense about them having to deal with CM. Why? It's a 016 ticket. They can see history and usage.
And the idea about boarding passes, what about people who use their phone? Welcome to 2018.
don't call. Send an Email to [email protected]. Send a copy of your original receipt showing U class and state that you used an RPU to upgrade.
schlang likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Numerous calls to MPSC and get all kinds of nonsense about them having to deal with CM.
I had a heck of a time several years ago getting UA to properly credit an upgraded CM itinerary. Have they given you the "Z is not a mileage accruing fare class" excuse yet?

Originally Posted by cfischer
don't call. Send an Email to [email protected]. Send a copy of your original receipt showing U class and state that you used an RPU to upgrade.
Yep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.