Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
COPA ceased using MileagePlus in July 2015 --forming its own program, ConnectMiles. However, COPA has continue to allow the use of UA MP GPUs.RPUs
With the introduction of PlusPoints, those are usable on CM.

FAQs:
Q: Can I use United GPUs/RPUs (and PlusPoints) on Copa?
A: Yes, both GPUs and RPUs can be used on Copa operated flights.

Q: What fare class do I need to be available for a GPU/RPU?
A: Z space on Copa. Or is it X? There are conflicting reports.

Q: Where can I find out what fare class is available?
A: Expertflyer is the best best. There are a few (old) reports that you can look for Z space on the UA site using expert mode. But that does not appear to be true.

There are also reports that Copa's I and Z inventory are closely, if not directly, correlated. Use the UA site to search for business saver award.

Q: Who do I call to process the upgrade?
A: Upgrades are processed by the "Star Alliance Desk" (which is not part of UA). Instead it appears to be a facilitator for travel on different *A carriers. Call United and asked to be transferred to the Star Alliance Desk. (Please add a direct number here if anyone has it).

Q: How does this work?
A: the Star Alliance Desk will create a United PNR for your Copa reservation and then apply the instrument for upgrade. You can see this PNR later in your UA account.

Q: Can I waitlist for an upgrade?
A: No. There is no current mechanism to wait list for flights. Keep checking back to see if space opens up.

Q: What fares are mileage upgradeable?
A: Copa Airlines – M, H, Q, K, V, U, S, O, W, E, L, T and A class

Pre-separation thread
COPA Upgrades for United members?
Related thread
Mileage Plus PQD/PQM for Copa?

Print Wikipost

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Has anyone been able to upgrade on Copa with PlusPoints?
Is it really 40 points per segment, or 40 points per direction?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Not sure about PlusPoints upgrade. But in the past RPU was for the direction. My guess would be same rule applies to PlusPoints It was a great use one time I was able to use one RPU to upgrade JFK-PTY-EZE.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
It is per segment. It was even per segment with RPUs when they separated from the Mileage Plus program.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by timbre
It is per segment. It was even per segment with RPUs when they separated from the Mileage Plus program.
yikes, 40 points per segment... thats a lot for Copa!
Of course one may have lots of points sitting around come next year....
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Can someone please tell me if I'm missing something? I'm trying to use PlusPoints for an upcoming segment (BOS-PTY). I went on the site that United to tells you to go on and enter my info and it says "We can not process your request. Inventory not available and no waitlist exists". Is that the end of it, or is there another way I can get this processed?

Also, does anyone know what fare class PlusPoints book into on Copa? I'd like to set an alert in ExpertFlyer. Do I really just have to check back constantly?

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Can someone please tell me if I'm missing something? I'm trying to use PlusPoints for an upcoming segment (BOS-PTY). I went on the site that United to tells you to go on and enter my info and it says "We can not process your request. Inventory not available and no waitlist exists". Is that the end of it, or is there another way I can get this processed?

Also, does anyone know what fare class PlusPoints book into on Copa? I'd like to set an alert in ExpertFlyer. Do I really just have to check back constantly?

Thanks.
Z
TravelTheWorld66 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
Z
Z class? I don't even see Z class as a fare bucket option. Is that a special Copa-only upgrade fare class like PZ on UA metal?

ETA: Ok, it appears Z is the upgrade class indeed:

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/co.../upgrades-max9

But it doesn't appear on ExpertFlyer. Anywhere to check the space?

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Aug 8, 2021 at 8:45 pm
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Rate classes Copa Airlines offers different classes of fares to its passengers in order to offer them the options that best suit their needs. Copa Airlines has several classes of fares within its cabin classes: Executive Cabin and Main Cabin, which are broken down as follows: Executive cabin: C, P *, J, D, Z, I *, R Main cabin: Y, G *, B, M, H, Q, K, F, V, U, S, O, W, E, L, T, A, N *, X * *

https://help.copaair.com/hc/en-us/ar...rlines-offers-
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:45 pm

Booked on COPA S fare.

PTY to ORD. Trying to upgrade my sister in law, just got error---

The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight.

Please contact the operating airline for the required information and try again.

Anyone have any insight into what the issue is and how to fix? I called Copa, got them on the phone with United web support and got nowhere.
Original flight was for this upcoming Saturday, but had to shift 5 weeks due to someone testing CV positive.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2022 at 6:35 pm Reason: Mileage upgrade issue, moved to COPA thread
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Looking to book IAD-PTY on CM. If I want to use PlusPoints, should I book UA* op by CM via United or book the flights through the Copa website? Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Looking to book IAD-PTY on CM. If I want to use PlusPoints, should I book UA* op by CM via United or book the flights through the Copa website? Thanks!
whichever is cheaper. UA should be able to covert to CM flight numbers like they do with LH and NH to be able to apply +Ps. Easiest is to book CM straight up ... if it doesn't make a lot of difference in terms of price and miles/PQD earned
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:21 pm

whichever is cheaper. UA should be able to covert to CM flight numbers like they do with LH and NH to be able to apply +Ps. Easiest is to book CM straight up ... if it doesn't make a lot of difference in terms of price and miles/PQD earned
OK thanks! So just to be clear - I can buy from the Copa website with Copa flight numbers OR on United website with UA flights numbers (operated by Copa) and doesn't make a difference? Much better seat selection booking directly through Copa.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK thanks! So just to be clear - I can buy from the Copa website with Copa flight numbers OR on United website with UA flights numbers (operated by Copa) and doesn't make a difference? Much better seat selection booking directly through Copa.
makes a difference for what? It will make a difference on earning if you wan to credit to MP. You will have the same seat selection in the end; UA needs to convert to CM flight numbers to make +P upgrade work. So in the end less hassle (because no flight number conversion business needed) buying from CM but earning can be different when crediting to UA MP
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:01 pm

makes a difference for what?
Using PlusPoints to upgrade
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Using PlusPoints to upgrade
does not make a difference. Purchasing from United will take an extra step, but either one works in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.