Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
COPA ceased using MileagePlus in July 2015 --forming its own program, ConnectMiles. However, COPA has continue to allow the use of UA MP GPUs.RPUs
With the introduction of PlusPoints, those are usable on CM.

FAQs:
Q: Can I use United GPUs/RPUs (and PlusPoints) on Copa?
A: Yes, both GPUs and RPUs can be used on Copa operated flights.

Q: What fare class do I need to be available for a GPU/RPU?
A: Z space on Copa. Or is it X? There are conflicting reports.

Q: Where can I find out what fare class is available?
A: Expertflyer is the best best. There are a few (old) reports that you can look for Z space on the UA site using expert mode. But that does not appear to be true.

There are also reports that Copa's I and Z inventory are closely, if not directly, correlated. Use the UA site to search for business saver award.

Q: Who do I call to process the upgrade?
A: Upgrades are processed by the "Star Alliance Desk" (which is not part of UA). Instead it appears to be a facilitator for travel on different *A carriers. Call United and asked to be transferred to the Star Alliance Desk. (Please add a direct number here if anyone has it).

Q: How does this work?
A: the Star Alliance Desk will create a United PNR for your Copa reservation and then apply the instrument for upgrade. You can see this PNR later in your UA account.

Q: Can I waitlist for an upgrade?
A: No. There is no current mechanism to wait list for flights. Keep checking back to see if space opens up.

Q: What fares are mileage upgradeable?
A: Copa Airlines – M, H, Q, K, V, U, S, O, W, E, L, T and A class

Pre-separation thread
COPA Upgrades for United members?
Related thread
Mileage Plus PQD/PQM for Copa?

Print Wikipost

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cfischer
does not make a difference. Purchasing from United will take an extra step, but either one works in the end.
10-4 thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:14 am

BUMP...Is there any way to check Z class before purchasing? I bought a ticket on a Copa flight with completely empty business class and still said upgrade not available Nice thing is if you cancel within 24 hours Copa immediately refunds to your credit card unlike UA which can take a few days.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Z class? I don't even see Z class as a fare bucket option. Is that a special Copa-only upgrade fare class like PZ on UA metal?

ETA: Ok, it appears Z is the upgrade class indeed:

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/co.../upgrades-max9

But it doesn't appear on ExpertFlyer. Anywhere to check the space?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
BUMP...Is there any way to check Z class before purchasing? I bought a ticket on a Copa flight with completely empty business class and still said upgrade not available Nice thing is if you cancel within 24 hours Copa immediately refunds to your credit card unlike UA which can take a few days.
ExpertFlyer.

I ensured the space was there before booking and it cleared immediately, though it took repeated phone calls for COPA to re-issue the tickets. For a week they said to be patient, but it came upon departure day and the ticket still was not re-issued and I could not check in.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
ExpertFlyer.

I ensured the space was there before booking and it cleared immediately, though it took repeated phone calls for COPA to re-issue the tickets. For a week they said to be patient, but it came upon departure day and the ticket still was not re-issued and I could not check in.
Thanks, not sure what I'm doing wrong but can't find Z even listed for any Copa flight. Have tried Flight Availability and Awards & Upgrades searches.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:10 am

Has anyone recently tried to use Pluspoints to upgrade a Copa flight with the online tool? It is telling me that an upgrade is available, but it fails to go through when I try to confirm the upgrade.

When I called the 1K desk, they transferred me to United web support which told me that the only way to process the upgrade is through the online tool and that there was nothing else they could do. Only other thing they suggested was trying different browsers and that didn't go anywhere. They were able to at least confirm that my flight was eligible for upgrades (booked directly with Copa), but couldn't do anything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially since the flight is in just a few days!
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eelnomis
Has anyone recently tried to use Pluspoints to upgrade a Copa flight with the online tool? It is telling me that an upgrade is available, but it fails to go through when I try to confirm the upgrade.

When I called the 1K desk, they transferred me to United web support which told me that the only way to process the upgrade is through the online tool and that there was nothing else they could do. Only other thing they suggested was trying different browsers and that didn't go anywhere. They were able to at least confirm that my flight was eligible for upgrades (booked directly with Copa), but couldn't do anything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially since the flight is in just a few days!
Yes, I was able to do this with United's online Star Alliance tool. I did it about two weeks ago for an upcoming flight in February. The online tool worked for me on the United side, but then when I pulled the reservation up on Copa it said I needed to check with an agent for assistance. I called Copa and related that to them, they put me on hold for about 3 minutes, and everything was resolved.

The only catch was it was 40 PlusPoints per segment! Felt like a lot for a PTY-ASU leg in a barcalounger, but it is what it is.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Try leaving out some of the not required info on the UG page. I have found too much info sometimes confuses the system. That said, strange you get to the ‘it’s available’ screen and it fails to confirm. Indeed nothing UA web support can do AFAIK
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:53 pm

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still having the issue with using the minimal amount of data. The issue doesn't seem to be the tool fetching the flight info, but the actual act of applying / confirming the upgrade. As an extra check, I pulled up the reservation on Copa's website and didn't find anything - perhaps most annoying is that they keep asking me to bid $ for an upgrade. Don't mind using the pluspoints since I still have a bunch since upgrade requests never clear anyways. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:54 am

Pluspoints or Mileage Upgrade on Copa

I'm planning to fly from Washington DC to Quito Ecuador and want to upgrade to First Class. If I fly United, the United system shows me that the upgrade on United (flying through Houston) is 20 points. However, there's a better flight on Copa through Panama. It's hard to find out how many Pluspoints would be needed, but if I parse what I find online, it looks like I might need 40 Pluspoints per segment (or a total of 80 points for the full one way flight). Does that sound right? 20 on United versus 80 on Copa one way?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvogel
I'm planning to fly from Washington DC to Quito Ecuador and want to upgrade to First Class. If I fly United, the United system shows me that the upgrade on United (flying through Houston) is 20 points. However, there's a better flight on Copa through Panama. It's hard to find out how many Pluspoints would be needed, but if I parse what I find online, it looks like I might need 40 Pluspoints per segment (or a total of 80 points for the full one way flight). Does that sound right? 20 on United versus 80 on Copa one way?
Yes, those values are correct.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
In case anybody was wondering, it seems that you can apply PlusPoints to a Basic Economy booking on Copa. (That was not my choice; a conference at which I'm speaking uses a really bad booking service that sometimes only displays BE inventory for flights.) The upgrade went through immediately in United's tool, with the 40 PP showing as applied.

Copa's site then didn't show my booking afterwards, returning an error message that it needed to be looked at by an agent and that I should call--same situation that IMissThe747 reported above. But that call took barely 5 minutes*, with the only new info I provided to the agent being a phone number. It took a few tries at Copa's site for the seat selection to stick, but now I seem to be set.

* No hold music or wait time on the call. What sorcery is this?!
SPN Lifer and IMissThe747 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCA writer
In case anybody was wondering, it seems that you can apply PlusPoints to a Basic Economy booking on Copa. (That was not my choice; a conference at which I'm speaking uses a really bad booking service that sometimes only displays BE inventory for flights.) The upgrade went through immediately in United's tool, with the 40 PP showing as applied.

Copa's site then didn't show my booking afterwards, returning an error message that it needed to be looked at by an agent and that I should call--same situation that IMissThe747 reported above. But that call took barely 5 minutes*, with the only new info I provided to the agent being a phone number. It took a few tries at Copa's site for the seat selection to stick, but now I seem to be set.

* No hold music or wait time on the call. What sorcery is this?!
Thanks for the report! Good to know. Partner UGs tend to work with lite fares ... just the fare class that matters. Same on LH
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Can tickets purchased directly with Copa on CM ticket stock be upgraded using PlusPoints, or must the tickets be originally purchased through UA?

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Can tickets purchased directly with Copa on CM ticket stock be upgraded using PlusPoints, or must the tickets be originally purchased through UA?

-FlyerBeek
Easier actually to UG CM tickets
FlyerBeek and IMissThe747 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:32 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

How do I determine how many miles are needed for a 1 class upgrade under the Star Alliance mileage upgrade award.

The system and notes are VERY vague.

I am considering booking an eligible CM fare, or just booking the trip using miles.
CM Q: $594 (SFO-PTY-GRU) + UA *A UG miles (value unknown)
UA P: 155,000 (SFO-PTY-GRU)

Is the logic that if award space exists it is eligible as an upgrade award?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.