Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do Elite members get CPU (EUA/UDU) on International Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,

Hi- former CO person here. I'm a Plat member, and wondering if, on United Flights, there are any complimentary upgrades to First/BF. On CO the answer was no, so I'm not judging if that is the answer with United, too.

If the answer IS no, are we allowed to UG with miles/extra $? I'm looking at a long flight with an injury and just can't afford the BF prices. I'm not expecting anything, just wondering if it IS a possibility.

I've flown round-trip to London, Dublin, Edinburgh and Paris for approximately $2,500 for BF in past 4 years on CO. They often had a BF sale and I'm also open with my dates. One of the fares I just looked at was over $10,000.

Again- no bad vibes here- just wondering about possibility of upgrades, or any ideas about cutting fares in First/BF for European flights.

PS- I am aware that the Olympics are causing flights and hotels to go up in price. I'm talking about going soon, or in the Fall.

Thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 30, 2012 at 11:37 am Reason: edited thread title
Old May 26, 2012, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
No complimentary elite upgrades on international flights.
You can upgrade from economy to BusinessFirst either with $$ or miles and $$ or a GPU (Global Premier Upgrade - which you receive as a 1K).
Suggest this thread might be helpful to you http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html
Old May 26, 2012, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thanks!
Old May 30, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
No complimentary elite upgrades on international flights.
You can upgrade from economy to BusinessFirst either with $$ or miles and $$ or a GPU (Global Premier Upgrade - which you receive as a 1K).
Suggest this thread might be helpful to you http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html
Just to clarify, it is possible to get Complimentary upgrades (CPUs) on 'international' flights; it just depends on destination. Central and 'Northern' South America are eligible for CPUs per United's website. (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx)

[I realize the OP was talking about Europe, but wanted to clarify the response for future searches]
Old May 30, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Only if you pay for it with cash, SWU, miles or cash+miles.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: Won Kay
As an aside, the only airport I have received an Op-Up is NRT. The flight wasn't oversold, and I was flying on a non-upgradeable fare as a 1K.

It was a nice surprise. I recently went through NRT and the GA apologized for not being able to upgrade me, which I though was strange - but I wasn't
T sure if she didn't have seats available or if UA put the screws to the staff at NRT about Op-Ups.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i've been CPU'd on ICN-NRT lots of times.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by bsmnsr
Only if you pay for it with cash, SWU, miles or cash+miles.
Of which cash at check-in or boarding is the only offer that assures you of a seat; miles+copay won't clear without "R" inventory being available, and SWUs require a relevant (more expensive) fare class at booking and "R" inventory availability. Until check-in/gate, at which time it's no longer "R" inventory but a waitlist.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by tehiota
Just to clarify, it is possible to get Complimentary upgrades (CPUs) on 'international' flights; it just depends on destination. Central and 'Northern' South America are eligible for CPUs per United's website. (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx)

[I realize the OP was talking about Europe, but wanted to clarify the response for future searches]
Wasn't it also established in another thread that CPUs are running on intra-Asia routes?
Old May 30, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Critic
Wasn't it also established in another thread that CPUs are running on intra-Asia routes?
Not sure of the thread, but the link I cited does show Intra-Asia as being included.
Old May 30, 2012, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Critic
Yes, though excluded (according to .bomb) are:

Tokyo (NRT) to Bangkok (BKK) or Singapore (SIN)
Honolulu (HNL) to Guam (GUM)

I had thought HNL to GUM was CPU-eligible, but .bomb does indicate otherwise.
Old May 30, 2012, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
I had thought HNL to GUM was CPU-eligible, but .bomb does indicate otherwise.
It is not, despite being on a domestic config 772.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold
As a Gold on a W class flying LAX-PVG, they were announcing $600 voucher, hotel and business class for flying the next day. I was considering it while I arrived at the gate during boarding. I was stopped at the gate and told that I was moved to business class. I was definitely surprised and I guess it may make up for the ~15% complementary upgrade success rate I had this year.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dolomite
As a Gold on a W class flying LAX-PVG, they were announcing $600 voucher, hotel and business class for flying the next day. I was considering it while I arrived at the gate during boarding. I was stopped at the gate and told that I was moved to business class. ....
Sounds like economy was overbooked and you got a operational upgrade (op-up). It happens but can be rare.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sounds like economy was overbooked and you got a operational upgrade (op-up). It happens but can be rare.
Agree - though the other option was better - upgrade and hotel and $600!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.