Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
PLEASE READ FIRST: WIKIPOST and MODERATOR NOTE

MODERATOR NOTE:
Please note: Insensitive or attacking posts, discussion about other posters and their motives, and other off-topic posts/comments are not allowed, per FlyerTalk Rules.

--> If you have a question or comment about moderation, use the "Alert a Moderator" button left of every post, or send a PM. Do not post such comments/questions on-thread. Thank you.

N.B. Please do not alter the above message.

• • • • •

[Please post NLY status updates and relevant Q&A here.]

Plaintiff: George Lagen, on behalf of himself and all others similarly situated
Defendant: United Continental Holdings, Inc. and United Airlines, Inc.

Filed In The United States District Court For The Northern District Of Illinois Eastern Division

Case No. 1:12-cv-04056
Filed: 05/24/2012

Judge Harry D. Leinenweber
Magistrate Judge Young B. Kim

Proposed class: All persons, as of midnight, December 31, 2011, who were members of the Million Mile Program under United Airlines’ Mileage Plus frequent flyer program.

Filings/rulings can be found on www.pacer.gov (requires registration)

12 June 2012 - Amended Class Action Complaint filed
Spring 2013 - Court denies United's request to close case
Spring 2013 - Plaintiff files for suit to become a class action, United asks Judge before he decides if there could be limited discovery (which typically happens after case becomes class-action). Judge allows it.
August 2013 - Depositions/Limited Discovery completed and transcripts were handed over to the court.
22 October 2013 - Pursuant to an order of the Court, both sides filed cross-motions for summary judgment:

Plaintiff contends that he is a United pre-merger Million Miler, that United promised Million Miler fliers certain lifetime benefits on its web site, including two regional upgrades every year and Premier Executive status, which provided certain delineated benefits (e.g., 100% mileage bonus). Plaintiff cites deposition testimony from United stating "lifetime" means: "as long as they were really able to fly … as long as someone is coming on a plane and alive and capable of flying." Plaintiff concludes by stating that United has breached its contract with its pre-merger Million Miler fliers by reducing the lifetime benefits they were promised.

United contends in its motion that Million Miler is part of the MileagePlus program, that United reserved the right to make any changes it wishes to the MileagePlus program, and that the changes it made that plaintiff now complains of are therefore contractually permissible. United does not admit, and does not address, the "lifetime" benefit statements that it made on its website.

23 January 2014 - Judge denies Plaintiff's motion for summary judgment and grants United's cross-motion for summary judgment. Judgment entered in favor of United.

The Judge begins his Opinion with a quote from Job: “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away” and then holds that Plaintiff has not produced any evidence that UA made him an offer to participate in a separate MM program.

The Court noted that: “The sum total of his evidence is vague references to ‘electronic and written correspondence’ from United, which, in both instances postdates his qualification as a Million Mile flyer and was not directed to him; and a 1997 Newsletter from United announcing the creation of the program he could not remember receiving. However the card he did receive from United, admitting him to MililionMile Flyer Program, shows that his new status is clearly a status within the Mileage Plus Frequent Flyer Program, as does the form letters United sent to applicants advising them of their admission to the MillionMile Flyer program. In fact, Plaintiff in his Complaint alleges that the MillionMile Flyer program was part of the Mileage Plus program. He has not produced any document that comes close to substantiating that the programs were separate and distinct."

Bottom line: The Court agreed with United's position that the Plaintiff had not proved the existence of a separate contract between itself and the Million Milers.

Full decision: http://media.wandr.me/MMerOpinion.pdf

20 February 2014

Plaintiff filed a notice of appeal of the trial court's decision. The record on appeal is due by March 13, 2014.

Appeal docs available at:
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-Appeal-filed-2-20-14.pdf
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-letter-of-appeal.pdf
Appellant's (Lagen's) Brief due 4/2/2014

8 September 2014
Oral arguments were heard by a three judge panel. Links to the original MP3 of the Court's recording and also some transcription can be found around post 2350 and for several more following that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23496499-post2361.html

22 December 2014
Affirmed over a dissent.
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2014/D12-22/C:14-1375:J:Wood:aut:T:fnOp:N:1474449:S:0
Print Wikipost

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alex_b
To play devils advocate:

But to claim a breach of contract despite having not achieved the threshold is an extremely difficult task, probably much harder than that in the current lawsuit.
While the threshold benefits of SWUs and RCC/UC memberships are not yet achieved benefits and the ability to change the annual program does make it harder to seek redress, there is the issue that MM program was aimed at a decade or more of participation. As dgcpaphd mention this sets a higher moral commitment and it is up to the courts to determine if there is a legal commitment. I would agree those appear to be the hardest legal issue for the plaintive even from a lay person PoV.

The reduced status, reduce RDMs bonus for 1MMers and lost RPUs for all existing MM seem more of a retroactive change in benefits if a contract is deemed to have existed.

The suggestion of Plat status as an alternative is more of a remedy that fits the existing program versus creating a complicated fix. Not a prefect remedy but one I think most would accept it. The idea of a 2K level is a bit of a red herring since an 2K individual would have been at least an 1K and of higher priority anyways than PMUA 1MMers.

The suggestion of the choice of RPUs or companion match is to address the fact that for some one is better and for some the other is preferred.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
United really messed this up. But there have been a lot of great comments and points made but it comes down to the leadership of the company and these guys are so disconnected from the GA that they don't know whats going on. They don't care they care about the short term and making money and not keeping customers.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by matsonjb

United really messed this up. But there have been a lot of great comments and points made but it comes down to the leadership of the company and these guys are so disconnected from the GA that they don't know whats going on. They don't care they care about the short term and making money and not keeping customers.
-
Unquestionably, you are correct in what you wrote.

How can we (the customers) get that message to Smisek and his regime?

Little by little, Smisek and his crew have destroyed a major element of goodwill of UA. It took years to build that goodwill.

With a series of stupid decisions, a mass exodus of customers occurred and left UA for other airlines, Furthermore, the operational and financial results of 2012 went into the tank. The blame for these events can be directly attributed to Smisek and his decisions.

Didn't the UA management learn anything from the 2012 terrible financial and operational results that were released last week?

Oh, if Robert Burns were here, he would have a word to say to them (the power to see yourself as others see you) - that Robert Burns.

What does it take to get through to people who have such enormous egos they cannot see what others so freely see?
-
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

How can we (the customers) get that message to Smisek and his regime?

Little by little, Smisek and his crew have destroyed a major element of goodwill of UA. It took years to build that goodwill.

-
I agree that we need to find ways to move "loyalty" up on the new management's list of priorities.

I agree that the original United did a lot to earn my loyalty through Mileage Plus, thus becoming an original United Million Miler. Their efforts convinced me to stick with United instead of with Delta (whith whom I have over 600,000 miles flown) and American - each with equally good (or bad) routes and service.

Let's not forget, though, that all was not "perfect" at United before the merger and before, during, and after bankruptcy. In retrospect, however, the pre-merger United was able to maintain my loyalty:
Upgrades were usually in reach - even at discounted fares.
The boarding process was acceptable. Membership had its privileges.

Now, it seems that my "loyalty" is no longer important - unless I pay full fare.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by billxmeredith
To the two people who quoted my post on why it may not be simple to hand the CR-1's - basically saying it costs nothing - or someone can just program it - if you had read the next paragraph - I explained why I thought that.
If so, UA is playing a dangerous game. If this goes to trial and decision, then a decision that says UA owes the CR1 sets a legal precedent.

Whereas if UA settles without admitting wrong doing, no legal precedent is set.

Much simpler to hand out the CR1s to pmUA MMers, let them board in group 1, give them 100% RDM bonus, and upgrade / standby priority equal to plats.

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I brought up this concept in March 2011 here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post16054726

Of course the names of the various status levels have changed since then but the concept remains viable. I'd probably alter the metrics a bit based on the current reality of MP status levels to look more like this:

Add together and track all lifetime BiS miles from PMUA and PMCO flights. Also add and track all lifetime EQMs from PMUA and PMCO flights. Continue to track both metrics going forward for merged UA flights. Then:

1MM EQM: Lifetime Silver

2MM EQM OR 1MM BiS: Lifetime Gold, 3 GPU's (one time only), 2 RPU's per year. 100% RDM bonus on paid UA/UX/Copa metal flights, Platinum level priority for upgrades etc.

3MM EQM OR 2MM BiS: Lifetime Platinum, Lifetime RCC membership, 4 GPUs's (one time only), 2 RPU's per year, 100% RDM bonus on paid UA/UX/Copa metal flights

3MM BiS OR 4MM EQM: Lifetime 1K, with lifetime benefits as currently offered.

Alternatively you could simply take the lifetime miles number that we all have now and apply it against the BiS thresholds above which would simplify things.

This essentially overlays the legacy UA and CO MM program benefits so that nobody loses anything that was promised by the legacy airlines or by the current incarnation of the MM program. There has been some discussion that the pre merger BiS miles data for PMCO flights might not exist, but in that case the EQM thresholds should do the job nicely.

The overlay system can continue to be fully functional for ALL fliers of both pre-merger airlines. It would also provide the same benefits that all PMCO and PMUA fliers expected under each airline's legacy MM systems. Some fliers may benefit more from BIS while others might benefit more from EQM based status. None of this matters in an overlay system. Just proceed as described and nobody gets shafted and everybody can reach the levels they've been striving striving regardless of which legacy airline they flew or of the mix of PMUA and PMCO miles they had when the MM programs merged.
I've proposed similar stuff prior to when the new MMer program was announced.

However, given the new posts since Feb 1 in other threads from people who lost status because they unaware of the 4 segment UA metal rule for re-qualifying for elite status, it is pretty clear UA needs to aim for the simplest program.

UA just needs to rationally deal with the people who were under 2MM BIS in order to provide the PMUA MM and 2MM benefits those people were working toward. If UA could construct a plan for Infinite Elites it can do so for pmua MM and near MM/2MMers.

Last edited by mre5765; Feb 4, 2013 at 11:40 am
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I think they are playing a dangerous game as well. People are focusing on the lawerly aspects of this, but as I mentioned a few days ago, I doubt United reallys want an exec to walk into court, raise his right hand and say "We promised two CR-1's, decided not to honor that promise, and indeed, continued to promise it even after we decided not to honor it. Because of superior lawyering, however, we believe we can get away with it. Indeed, the reason that we're fighting so hard is so we can establish the legal right do it again to someone else - maybe all you corporations out there thinking about travel contracts. You're next!"

If they settle, this will cost them maybe 20,000 CR-1's (I'm guessing 10K MM's) so the net effect will be to shaft 20,000 Golds out of a CPU. Doesn't cost United a dime.

This would be like putting blood in the water for the media - and stock analysts.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead

I think they are playing a dangerous game as well. People are focusing on the lawyerly aspects of this, but as I mentioned a few days ago, I doubt United really wants an exec to walk into court, raise his right hand and say "We promised two CR-1's, decided not to honor that promise, and indeed, continued to promise it even after we decided not to honor it. Because of superior lawyering, however, we believe we can get away with it. Indeed, the reason that we're fighting so hard is so we can establish the legal right do it again to someone else - maybe all you corporations out there thinking about travel contracts. You're next!"

If they settle, this will cost them maybe 20,000 CR-1's (I'm guessing 10K MM's) so the net effect will be to shaft 20,000 Golds out of a CPU. Doesn't cost United a dime.
While you wrote an impressive and logical post, you omitted the second lifetime promise that was posted to united.com at the same time the two regionals were promised, then breached.

The other promise shown in the FAQs and answers was:

"What will happen to my Million Miler Program lifetime status
and Continental Infinite Elite status benefits? Will I continue
to receive them in the future?

You will continue to receive your benefits as you always have."

No, there is no logical reason for UA to have reneged on the million-milers considering the written material that was posted to the official interface between UA and the public, united.com.
-
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
No, there is no logical reason for UA to have reneged on the million-milers considering the written material that was posted to the official interface between UA and the public, united.com.
-
There is, you just choose to ignore it. Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't make it irrational, illogical, or unworthy of consideration.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by colpuck
There is, you just choose to ignore it. Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't make it irrational, illogical, or unworthy of consideration.
There's no logical reason, because CR-1s, extra RDMs are just loose change. UA can easily minimize exposure by limiting upgrade and award inventory to compensate. "Here sucker, here are the RPUs we promised you; good luck trying to use them".

Platinum level boarding, standby and upgrade priority cost UA nothing.

Logic.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
You just choose to ignore many things. Just because you don't get your 4 miles tickets you don't think MMers should get their benefits.

Last edited by pigx5; Feb 4, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
There's no logical reason, because CR-1s, extra RDMs are just loose change. UA can easily minimize exposure by limiting upgrade and award inventory to compensate. "Here sucker, here are the RPUs we promised you; good luck trying to use them".

Platinum level boarding, standby and upgrade priority cost UA nothing.

Logic.
The Continental and the United million miler programs were very different in terms of how the awarded status and what the benefits of that status. Because of those differences there was no way to merger the programs without making changes.

It was on face illogical for people to believe there were not going to be changes to the program.

logic.

Originally Posted by pigx5
You just choose to ignore many things. Just because you don't get your 4 miles tickets you don't think MMers should get their benefits.
make up whatever you like, I have ignored nothing. I am not sure what your obsession with the irrelevant HKG tickets is. I have already explained my position and I would suggest you read it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL

make up whatever you like, I have ignored nothing. I am not sure what your obsession with the irrelevant HKG tickets is. I have already explained my position and I would suggest you read it.
Make up whatever you like such as pmCO MM lost more than pm UA MM and people can read through your posts to figure out what you had made up.
You ignored many things and fact and you just want to against other people
simply because it's not your benefits.
I would suggest you read your own posts.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pigx5
Make up whatever you like such as pmCO MM lost more than pm UA MM and people can read through your posts to figure out what you had made up....I would suggest you read your own posts.
excellent suggestion.

Hmm I posted back in September that I thought there was a claim here. Then I posted that the way the plaintiff's could get relief is by pleading around the MP terms and conditions.

both of those have come true. So I have been completely right about the progression of the lawsuit so far.

I guess I am not sure what I "made up."

Yes I believe that CO Million Milers lost more than UA million milers. That is my belief and that is just as valid as yours. What concerns me is the refusal to address my statement that whatever the final program ended being, the large differences between the two programs dictated that the final program would be substantially different than the either of the two original programs.

Put it to you this way, if dgcpaphd got everything he wants, it would leave co million milers out in the cold. That's pretty unacceptable. It's not about what is best for you or me or the plaintiff, it's about what is best for everyone.

You ignored many things and fact and you just want to against other people simply because it's not your benefits.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. I am also not sure what "things and fact[sic]" I ignored, you haven't mentioned any. I've taken everything in account and you can see that in judges ruling which parallels my own view of the case. I think what you are saying, and correct me if I am wrong, is that because I don't agree with the majority view I must have ignored facts and figures. Seeing as my opinion matches up with the judges, it is hard to say that I have ignored anything.

Now if you want to discuss the 4miler tickets, the merits of the co program v the ua program, or my ignorance feel free to pm me or take the discussion to the relevant thread. I am going to continue discussing the lawsuit here.

cheers.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Yes I believe that CO Million Milers lost more than UA million milers.
I'm scratching my head over this one. While I can see certain cases where CO MMs did lose something, like the ability to earn unlimited MM "miles" without flying, on the whole the changes seem like they would have been far more positive compared with UA MMs. What exactly do you mean by this statement?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
I'm scratching my head over this one. While I can see certain cases where CO MMs did lose something, like the ability to earn unlimited MM "miles" without flying, on the whole the changes seem like they would have been far more positive compared with UA MMs. What exactly do you mean by this statement?
As I said, if you wish to discuss the relative merits of one program versus another there is a thread where I have detailed my opinion at length.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.