Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
PLEASE READ FIRST: WIKIPOST and MODERATOR NOTE

MODERATOR NOTE:
Please note: Insensitive or attacking posts, discussion about other posters and their motives, and other off-topic posts/comments are not allowed, per FlyerTalk Rules.

--> If you have a question or comment about moderation, use the "Alert a Moderator" button left of every post, or send a PM. Do not post such comments/questions on-thread. Thank you.

N.B. Please do not alter the above message.

• • • • •

[Please post NLY status updates and relevant Q&A here.]

Plaintiff: George Lagen, on behalf of himself and all others similarly situated
Defendant: United Continental Holdings, Inc. and United Airlines, Inc.

Filed In The United States District Court For The Northern District Of Illinois Eastern Division

Case No. 1:12-cv-04056
Filed: 05/24/2012

Judge Harry D. Leinenweber
Magistrate Judge Young B. Kim

Proposed class: All persons, as of midnight, December 31, 2011, who were members of the Million Mile Program under United Airlines’ Mileage Plus frequent flyer program.

Filings/rulings can be found on www.pacer.gov (requires registration)

12 June 2012 - Amended Class Action Complaint filed
Spring 2013 - Court denies United's request to close case
Spring 2013 - Plaintiff files for suit to become a class action, United asks Judge before he decides if there could be limited discovery (which typically happens after case becomes class-action). Judge allows it.
August 2013 - Depositions/Limited Discovery completed and transcripts were handed over to the court.
22 October 2013 - Pursuant to an order of the Court, both sides filed cross-motions for summary judgment:

Plaintiff contends that he is a United pre-merger Million Miler, that United promised Million Miler fliers certain lifetime benefits on its web site, including two regional upgrades every year and Premier Executive status, which provided certain delineated benefits (e.g., 100% mileage bonus). Plaintiff cites deposition testimony from United stating "lifetime" means: "as long as they were really able to fly … as long as someone is coming on a plane and alive and capable of flying." Plaintiff concludes by stating that United has breached its contract with its pre-merger Million Miler fliers by reducing the lifetime benefits they were promised.

United contends in its motion that Million Miler is part of the MileagePlus program, that United reserved the right to make any changes it wishes to the MileagePlus program, and that the changes it made that plaintiff now complains of are therefore contractually permissible. United does not admit, and does not address, the "lifetime" benefit statements that it made on its website.

23 January 2014 - Judge denies Plaintiff's motion for summary judgment and grants United's cross-motion for summary judgment. Judgment entered in favor of United.

The Judge begins his Opinion with a quote from Job: “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away” and then holds that Plaintiff has not produced any evidence that UA made him an offer to participate in a separate MM program.

The Court noted that: “The sum total of his evidence is vague references to ‘electronic and written correspondence’ from United, which, in both instances postdates his qualification as a Million Mile flyer and was not directed to him; and a 1997 Newsletter from United announcing the creation of the program he could not remember receiving. However the card he did receive from United, admitting him to MililionMile Flyer Program, shows that his new status is clearly a status within the Mileage Plus Frequent Flyer Program, as does the form letters United sent to applicants advising them of their admission to the MillionMile Flyer program. In fact, Plaintiff in his Complaint alleges that the MillionMile Flyer program was part of the Mileage Plus program. He has not produced any document that comes close to substantiating that the programs were separate and distinct."

Bottom line: The Court agreed with United's position that the Plaintiff had not proved the existence of a separate contract between itself and the Million Milers.

Full decision: http://media.wandr.me/MMerOpinion.pdf

20 February 2014

Plaintiff filed a notice of appeal of the trial court's decision. The record on appeal is due by March 13, 2014.

Appeal docs available at:
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-Appeal-filed-2-20-14.pdf
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-letter-of-appeal.pdf
Appellant's (Lagen's) Brief due 4/2/2014

8 September 2014
Oral arguments were heard by a three judge panel. Links to the original MP3 of the Court's recording and also some transcription can be found around post 2350 and for several more following that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23496499-post2361.html

22 December 2014
Affirmed over a dissent.
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2014/D12-22/C:14-1375:J:Wood:aut:T:fnOp:N:1474449:S:0
Print Wikipost

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
It's worth noting, that as some others have pointed out, that class actions are a very particular creature in civil law. The attorney who filed this suit doesn't look like someone with a lot of experience in class action law. A quick Google search appears to show that he does personal injury work and Sullivan's lists him as specializing in "commercial litigation". Firms that do class action work tend to specialize very heavily in it and represent themselves as such. If this isn't being filed by an attorney with much or any class action experience, that (to me) indicates that the plaintiff probably couldn't get a plaintiffs' firm specializing in class actions to take much notice. I wouldn't give it a stone's throw chance in federal court in that case.

One way you can tell if this looks like it has any chance is if any other firms have filed similar class action suits in other courts. If not, it means that no one else likely thinks it's a winner either. I'll bet you dollars to donuts there are a lot of Plaintiffs' Bar attorneys who are MMers, and if they don't think it's worth getting a piece of that pie, the case isn't going anywhere.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
A premex with 70K eqm earned 140K in the past whch is now 105K. This is pretty much the worst case scenario (that should really encourage people to fly another 5K to get to plat with 2 CR1s not available at that level before).
Still 35K is hardly a life changing event given that one CC bonus is 50K these days. Yes it was better before but it's not that dramatic given that UA miles are fairly easy to redeem at low levels.
You're looking at one year in isolation. Imagine that same flyer over 5 years, that's a loss of 175k RDM. As I said, larger long-term impact on the FFer landscape.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by HNLescapee
It's worth noting, that as some others have pointed out, that class actions are a very particular creature in civil law. The attorney who filed this suit doesn't look like someone with a lot of experience in class action law. A quick Google search appears to show that he does personal injury work and Sullivan's lists him as specializing in "commercial litigation". Firms that do class action work tend to specialize very heavily in it and represent themselves as such. If this isn't being filed by an attorney with much or any class action experience, that (to me) indicates that the plaintiff probably couldn't get a plaintiffs' firm specializing in class actions to take much notice. I wouldn't give it a stone's throw chance in federal court in that case.

of that pie, the case isn't going anywhere.
Which lawyer are you talking about? Latham is just the office it was filed through I am certain of, check out Edgar.

David H. Latham
David H. Latham (ARDC No. 6198792)
150 N. Wacker Drive, #1400
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Telephone: (312) 782-1910
E-mail: [email protected]
And
John F. Edgar
Michael D. Pospisil
EDGAR LAW FIRM LLC
1032 Pennsylvania Ave.
Kansas City, Missouri 64105
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

One way you can tell if this looks like it has any chance is if any other firms have filed similar class action suits in other courts. If not, it means that no one else likely thinks it's a winner either. I'll bet you dollars to donuts there are a lot of Plaintiffs' Bar attorneys who are MMers, and if they don't think it's worth getting a piece of that pie, the case isn't going anywhere.
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Which lawyer are you talking about? Latham is just the office it was filed through I am certain of, check out Edgar.
Very interesting. ^ Is Sullivan's like Martindale?

I did go back and look at the complaint after reading your informative post. Three lawyers signed it and two of them seem to be members of a law firm that handles class actions.

Could either they be assisting the Chicago lawyer, or he filing on behalf of them, since they're out-of-towners?

This being FT, maybe I should refer to the ORD lawyer and the MCI lawyers.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Colpuck, great, wonderful, gold star.

Don't bring Mickey Mouse into this craziness. 300 signatures for a petition concerning the Million Miler Program? That rocks! I'm doing this all wrong says who? I didn't ask you - or anyone else - to do anything they don't want to do. But if you mean sitting and doing nothing, not going to happen.

When you say nobody goes to or posts, I assume you mean the forum? Not the website, because it's gotten 2+ Million unique hits. I'll get to the forum in a moment...But Google "million miler" - I'm sure you already have - and see how the word has spread about this.

As for the forum, I will tell you, for it to have gathered 50 some people with no effort (including you), shows something. It's there for million milers to stay in touch. You have to think outside the realm of FlyerTalk, because of that little forum, it is quite possible it lead to the federal class action. So hold tight, it has all just begun. And at the very least I'm talking the talk and walking the walk, so don't be so quick to belittle this gent, my dear friend.

Now, let's talk about my status in the Mileage Plus, er MileagePlus, program, I have been a Million Mile Flyer for quite a long time. I was racing towards 2MM until the merger. With the recalibration, I became 2MMiler. Which makes me a Platinum.

Colpuck, I am one of the nicest gents one would ever meet. I don't bother anyone, I try to go through life as a gentleman. When something is wrong, a gentleman plainly says it is wrong and does everything in his power to fight against it and that is why I am standing up for what is fair.

We may not agree on things, and that is fine, we are all on this earth to live together. I wish you the same success and peace of mind I wish for myself.

UG
A gentleman does descend into Ad Hom style attacks. I believe your post in response to me is titled "clueless".

I am not a member of your board, nor do I want to be. I don't agree with your position. Post all you want about view counts and your 50 members, but the truth is as follows.

Here is the some total of UA's response to "million milers united"

Zero

Post all you want about how great the response is to your platform. The only measure of success is results. So, far the results have been zero.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
To denigrate the efforts of a fellow poster for attempting, via the creation of a web site, is unquestionably inappropriate. If you do not like his web site, ignore it. There is no need to repeatedly mock his efforts. At least he is doing something for our cause. What efforts are you making to have our benefits restored?

-
I am not mocking his efforts. But to answer your question, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...p-changes.html
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by infomark
Actually its seems UA has been taken over by Dennys
Except Denny's has better chicken Pattys
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:39 am

snip snip

It's worth noting, that as some others have pointed out, that class actions are a very particular creature in civil law. The attorney who filed this suit doesn't look like someone with a lot of experience in class action law. A quick Google search appears to show that he does personal injury work and Sullivan's lists him as specializing in "commercial litigation".
-

Thank you very much for pointing out this important and accurate fact in connection with the need for a law firm that specializes in class actions.

Attorney Edgar has extensive class action experience.

Furthermore, he has successfully prosecuted and won cases against some of the largest corporations IN THE WORLD. To name just a few, Chrysler, General Motors, Microsoft, Bank of America, British Petroleum and many more. Soon, he will be adding United Continental Holdings, Inc to his list of success.

Moreover, there is a rating service for attorneys called Martindale-Hubbell. Attorney Edgar has the HIGHEST rating possible, a rating of “AV” which most attorneys do not achieve.

Here is a link for more information concerning Attorney Edgar:

http://www.edgarlawfirm.com/Attorney...-F-Edgar.shtml

As has already been pointed out, the attorney in Chicago (who filed the actual complaint), is an associate of Attorney Edgar. Yes, the initial complaint was criticized because of the typos and spelling errors. Despite those clerical errors, the actual complaint complies with the law and the clerical errors will not cause a problem prosecuting the case.

At the time the initial complaint was filed in Chicago on May 24, 2012, Attorney Edgar was thousand of miles away from his office. Thus, the complaint was obviously filed by someone other than Attorney Edgar. Consequently, do not believe that those clerical errors reflect on the skills or knowledge and abilities of Attorney Edgar.
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jun 8, 2012 at 11:10 am Reason: omitted word
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Just remember who wins the most, in class actions. Anyway...

i presume an injury has been defined. What's the remedy requested? Reinstatement of all UA MM benefits?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon

Just remember who wins the most, in class actions. Anyway...

i presume an injury has been defined. What's the remedy requested? Reinstatement of all UA MM benefits?
-
Sorry, I do not understand your post.

Can you say your point or question differently?

Thanks.
-
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Sorry, I do not understand your post.

Can you say your point or question differently?

Thanks.
-
His point was that: a)in class-actions the only parties that win are the attorneys; and b) that if one is alleging breach of contract, there have to be damages and a remedy other wise there is no point to having a suit.

Traditionally, courts are reluctant to force two parties to do business with each other. This is why specific performance is almost never granted as a remedy.

Last edited by colpuck; Jun 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:32 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
After a prescribed cooling-off period, the thread has been reopened with the expectation that the discussion will be focused on the topic of the Million Miler Suit Against United and not on personal feuds with other members. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Any lawyers out there familiar with the process? Now that the initial filing has happened, what's next? UA answers complaint? It goes before a judge?

I can't find much anywhere....

UG
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Many alternatives.

The most likely formal response is a "motion to dismiss" which will challenge the sufficiency of the pleading. Ruling in about 45 days after it is filed.

But they also might start settlement negotiations.

The plaintiffs might also voluntarily amend their complaint and file one which is better written and better thought out.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any lawyers out there familiar with the process? Now that the initial filing has happened, what's next? UA answers complaint? It goes before a judge?

I can't find much anywhere....

UG
These are good resources.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/
http://edwardddowlingivattorneyatlaw...il-litigation/

Last edited by colpuck; Jun 10, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.