Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snarky comment - should I report it?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Question Snarky comment - should I report it?

Today while disembarking from UA956 (EWR-GVA) I witnessed some unprofessional behavior (IMHO) from the lead flight attendant, and am wondering if I should report it to UA, even though I wasn't the recipient of the insult.

A lady was disembarking in front of me with her 18 month old child in her arms. As she neared the L1 door, the lady stepped aside (out of the traffic) and asked the lead flight attendant (don't know her name) where she might collect her gate-checked stroller. In reply, the FA just pointed out of the L1 door. So the lady said, "Yes, but should I wait at the bottom of the jet way by the control center, or at the top of the jetway where it connects to the terminal?" in response, the FA just pointed again. The lady again asked her question again, and the FA again just pointed. The lady was cleary frustrated, but simply walked away (good for her). However, as the lady walked away the FA rolled her eyes and turned to the pilot standing beside her and said, "sheesh, ya gotta get off the plane to get your stuff!"

IMHO, I felt it would've been far more appropriate if the FA had simply spoken to the lady, or at least said she didn't know the answer, or suggested that the lady speak to the ground crew which were starting to gather on the jetway. I just can't fathom why the FA would remain mute in the face of a legitimate query, and then mock the customer to a fellow UA employee while the customer was barely out of earshot.

For what it's worth, the lady spoke to a ground worker and then made her way up the jetway, down the escalator, and to a special area to collect her stroller.

What do you think? Is it something that I should report to UA?
Old May 25, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1k
I would say that it is up to the person who the comment was aimed at to report it. If the person didn't hear it, then she could not have taken offence at it so what's the problem.

There is far too much "taking offence on behalf of another" goes on these days.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:55 am

A United FA with a bad attitude? Let me put my surprised face on!
Old May 25, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
What do you think? Is it something that I should report to UA?
No. If the lady was offended, let her fight her own battle.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Fair enough, thanks.

I was just wondering if this morning's episode was my opportunity to teach the lead FA a lesson in common courtesy.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 25, 2012 at 7:05 am Reason: OMNI
Old May 25, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I haven't even read the scenario, but please don't let an anonymous travel forum be your conscience. It is up to you and how you apply your values to life's experiences.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Maybe the pax and the FA already had some information exchange during the flight so that the patience reservoir of the FA was depleted?

The comment wasn't aggressive nor denigrating, it merely tasted exhausted.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
When I worked for Business Express Airlines in ACK back in 1989, i was helping a customer with very strange clothes. When I finished, I turned to a colleague and said, "Did you see that guy?"

The woman (next customer) at the counter said, "That guy over there? That's my husband."

I learned not to talk about other customers after that.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: UA PremExec
Unprofessional behavior should be reported by whoever sees it. This not about a customer fighting their own battles. It is about making sure UA employees treat all customer's professionally.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by UAkls
Unprofessional behavior should be reported by whoever sees it. This not about a customer fighting their own battles. It is about making sure UA employees treat all customer's professionally.
We called those kids "tattle-tales"
Old May 25, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
"...To work as a flight attendant, you must be capable of giving verbal instructions. If you have any concerns about your ability to do so, please see your career counselor for a change of seating..."

"Use your words, honey, use your words." (aside) "We're trying to get her to talk, not just point"

(I misread the original post, thought the pilot made the comment; can't believe the FA could muster the energy to open her mouth to disparage the pax but not to clarify for her. I'm not going to advocate your being a tattletale, but sheeesh, what a(n) [fill in your favorite not-allowed-by-FT-TOC here])
Old May 25, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
I agree.

This is a woman with a young child, and the FA couldn't give a verbal response? BTW, it's impolite to point . . . use your words. It's not hard.

But, do what YOU FEEL is right. No one can tell you how to feel about this. If you feel it is something you should taken action on, THEN YOU SHOULD!
Old May 25, 2012, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by valor155
I agree.

This is a woman with a young child, and the FA couldn't give a verbal response? BTW, it's impolite to point . . . use your words. It's not hard.

But, do what YOU FEEL is right. No one can tell you how to feel about this. If you feel it is something you should taken action on, THEN YOU SHOULD!
I tend to agree. Do what feels RIGHT TO YOU !. Why ask us ? You saw it, you don't like it, you decide.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by valor155
I agree.

Agree!

Unprofessional IMHO. But do what you think is right. Sometimes you gotta step up..
Old May 25, 2012, 9:47 am
Suspended

Unprofessional behavior should be reported by whoever sees it.
Disagree. No reason to tattle tale. If the person is offended, that person can write.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.