Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Maximum Segments on UA Award Travel"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Maximum Segments on UA Award Travel"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
It is dependent on region. Australia/S. Asia via Europe = yes.

Other regions, not necessarily.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It is dependent on region. Australia/S. Asia via Europe = yes.

Other regions, not necessarily.
From Asia to US continent is you are right. My experience is within Asia is same.

How about Asia(included Japan) to Oceania or within Oceania, Australia, New Zealand to Oceania? Anybody have been experience? Because, Majuro(Marshall Islands) or Micronesia(PNI, TKK etc) does not work.

MAJ-GUM-NRT-SIN-CHC or AKL

PNI-GUM-HKG-AKL-RAR or PPT

Last edited by Kwang su; Jan 17, 2014 at 7:49 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Any updates on if US-EU-NZ is still possible? What's the max number of segments per direction
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Any updates on if US-EU-NZ is still possible?
Still no.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
What is the current rule for maximum segments on a one way ticket from North Asia to U.S. via Europe? 4 segments or 5?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:11 am

What are the latest segment rules to South Asia & beyond to Australia from there?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BF263533
What are the latest segment rules to South Asia & beyond to Australia from there?
I saw this guide to United award routing rules a few weeks ago, it looks pretty good:

http://travelisfree.com/2014/08/26/u...routing-rules/

This one from April is pretty good also:

http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/08/u...routing-rules/

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 20, 2014 at 11:20 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Is it four transfers or four segments allowed per direction on a round trip ticket? An agent just told me the new rule is four segments , not four transfers.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Is it four transfers or four segments allowed per direction on a round trip ticket? An agent just told me the new rule is four segments , not four transfers.
4 segments is for one way i think.

I booked a RT 5 weeks ago, and the outbound routing is PNH-BKK-ARN-GVA-YUL-LAS.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
4 segments is for one way i think.

I booked a RT 5 weeks ago, and the outbound routing is PNH-BKK-ARN-GVA-YUL-LAS.
Thanks. I'm getting pushback from the "rate desk" on trying to book 5 segments each way. Perhaps UA Insider could confirm the current award rules.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:13 am

Exclamation maximum number of award segments

I've read conflicting information on both Flyertalk and elsewhere about the maximum number of segments on a United award ticket. Is this information published anywhere? I tried emailing UA Insider for clarification, but I have received no response.

My understanding from reading Flyertalk and googling the Internet was that there could be a maximum of 4 transfers per direction on a round trip award ticket. The 1K line is now telling me that there has been a recent change to curb "abuse" and now only 3 transfers are permitted per direction. Is there any way to get around this restriction? Perhaps add a stopover at an intermediate point?

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by amartin1979
I've read conflicting information on both Flyertalk and elsewhere about the maximum number of segments on a United award ticket. Is this information published anywhere? ....
Generally no but buried in award fare rules you can sometimes find this info. Unfortunately the attempt gather those fare rules spurted after the Feb 2014 devaluation. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ard-types.html

Also see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ip-ticket.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...wards-new.html

Unfortunately this may be a moving target and FT info may be out of date. Additional some agents seem to read X segments as X airports when it should be X+1 airports.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I have been planning an award next May using UA miles
South Asia to Oceania.
If you look at the fare rules for the one way award that the website generated (CSM/AB86M) under "transfers/routings" there is the following verbiage.

FARE BY RULE TEXT
3 TRANSFERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT
FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED ON
THE FARE COMPONENT.

The site generated 3 or 4 alternatives that had 3 transfers/4 segments for NAN-BKK, including several through PVG and INC.

Unfortunately, regardless of the evidence in the rules, numbers of segments allowed according to the agent remains a mystery and is based on whether they are having a bad day or you are the fifth caller that day submitting a complex award itinerary that the agent knows will consume at least an hour, etc.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Unfortunately, regardless of the evidence in the rules, numbers of segments allowed according to the agent remains a mystery and is based on whether they are having a bad day or you are the fifth caller that day submitting a complex award itinerary that the agent knows will consume at least an hour, etc.
Absolutely 1000% correct.

If an agent told me three segments on a RT award, that call would be over very very quickly.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by luckypierre
I have been planning an award next May using UA miles
South Asia to Oceania.
If you look at the fare rules for the one way award that the website generated (CSM/AB86M) under "transfers/routings" there is the following verbiage.

FARE BY RULE TEXT
3 TRANSFERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT
FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED ON
THE FARE COMPONENT.

The site generated 3 or 4 alternatives that had 3 transfers/4 segments for NAN-BKK, including several through PVG and INC.

Interesting! My experience is that agents are much less interested in helping with complex awards than in years past. And most changes still take up to an hour on hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.