Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Maximum Segments on UA Award Travel"

Old Jun 10, 13, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by jvquarterback View Post
I was on the phone with an agent last night for my first award booking and wanted (on a one way):

MRY-LAX
LAX-ICN
ICN-PEK
PEK-SIN
SIN-BKK
BKK-DEL

She said there was a problem with the SIN-BKK-DEL segments which are available in J but for some reason she couldn't book them. I told her to book SIN-DEL in Y but I really want SIN-BKK-DEL. Is there some reason this doesn't work? Or should I just try calling a different agent tonight?
It appears 4 segments are allowed for US-Asia one way award trip. Some other source indicates it's south Asia but I'm not sure. You have 6 segments. Try to reduce to 4.
Old Jul 14, 13, 8:24 pm

Hi everyone,

So if I'm following right, would the following be allowable as a o/w United partner award booking?

BKK-CDG-MUC-BCN-FRA-IAD

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Old Jul 14, 13, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dmlee18 View Post
Hi everyone,

So if I'm following right, would the following be allowable as a o/w United partner award booking?

BKK-CDG-MUC-BCN-FRA-IAD

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
You might have an issue with the number of segments. I booked HKT-BKK-FRA-LHR-EWR a few weeks ago, but the agent said it was 4 connections and technically only 3 were allowed (but she'd give it to me this time). OMaaT wrote about it shortly thereafter: http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ia-via-europe/

You might be able to find an agent that will do it, but I wouldn't say it's a given.

is there really no space CDG-FRA or even MUC-FRA?
Old Jul 14, 13, 10:22 pm

Thanks. Actually am hoping to do an extended layover in Barcelona and stop by the FCT on the way back...the bkk-cdg segment is to try TG's new F.
Old Jul 15, 13, 2:11 pm

@milesmuncher -- the link was very helpful. Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 13, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks. Actually am hoping to do an extended layover in Barcelona and stop by the FCT on the way back...the bkk-cdg segment is to try TG's new F.
Ahh - all makes sense now!

@milesmuncher -- the link was very helpful. Thanks!
You're very welcome!
Old Jul 16, 13, 6:48 am

Limited routing

Last time i can booked and priced for these routing. If i book without stopover 24 hours or more, i can 32,500 miles per one way and priced.

BKK-NRT-HKG-IST-FRA-JFK or SIN-HKG-PEK-FRA-IST-JFK...

Now, if i want to make booking same routing, there is no pricing.

Maybe United blocked these routhing. Is it correct?
Old Aug 1, 13, 12:33 pm

Programs: United, SPG
Maxed Out at 8

Just booked ORD-AMS-CPH (stopover), CPH-LHR-ADD-SEZ, MUC-ZRH-YYZ-BWI

I tried to add more 23 hour stops in Europe (total 10 segments) but the computer kept getting an error.

I was told max is 8 segments on a single ticket. You can have more segments, but you have to do 2 one ways but then you lose the free stopover. Not sure if this is a new hard and fast rule, but every time I tried to do more than 8 segments, I got an error.
Old Aug 2, 13, 12:26 am

Re: Maxed out at 8

I was told the same thing today.

I tried to piece together an itinerary for NRT-ASR, ASR-ADD, ADD-NRT with as many 23hr layovers in Europe as possible. I was told that the computer couldn't price my 11 segments itinerary. I cut it down to 9 segments with less layovers, but it sill didn't work. Finally the 8-segment itinerary worked.

So now the 8-segment rule seems to apply to the "N. Asia-Africa" awards as well...

Originally Posted by onesweetworld View Post

I tried to add more 23 hour stops in Europe (total 10 segments) but the computer kept getting an error.

I was told max is 8 segments on a single ticket. You can have more segments, but you have to do 2 one ways but then you lose the free stopover. Not sure if this is a new hard and fast rule, but every time I tried to do more than 8 segments, I got an error.
Old Aug 2, 13, 9:46 am

Actually 2 days ago when I called to book a 8-segment USA to Africa ticket, I was told by the agent that there's no limits on how many legs I could book. Yesterday when I called to make the N-Asia to Africa reservation, the first agent wouldn't allow me to hold the itinerary, so I hanged up without even booking any flights. The 2nd agent last night allowed me to hold for 3 days, but with 8 segments only.

All these calls were made after midnight EST, if it makes any difference...

Originally Posted by Kaitlin View Post
I was told the same thing today.

I tried to piece together an itinerary for NRT-ASR, ASR-ADD, ADD-NRT with as many 23hr layovers in Europe as possible. I was told that the computer couldn't price my 11 segments itinerary. I cut it down to 9 segments with less layovers, but it sill didn't work. Finally the 8-segment itinerary worked.

So now the 8-segment rule seems to apply to the "N. Asia-Africa" awards as well...
Old Sep 19, 13, 10:43 pm

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
Originally Posted by onesweetworld View Post

Originally Posted by Kaitlin View Post
Actually 2 days ago when I called to book a 8-segment USA to Africa ticket, I was told by the agent that there's no limits on how many legs I could book. Yesterday when I called to make the N-Asia to Africa reservation, the first agent wouldn't allow me to hold the itinerary, so I hanged up without even booking any flights. The 2nd agent last night allowed me to hold for 3 days, but with 8 segments only.

All these calls were made after midnight EST, if it makes any difference...
I just got limited just now from USA-Africa. Or just found out about it. My original itinerary booked last year on 09.27.12:
IAH-ORD-MUC-MRS//BRU-FRA-ADD-SEZ-(DEST)-SEZ-ADD-FRA-IAD-IAH

Had to change it due to time constraints and flying by 09.27.13:
IAH-ORD-MUC-MRS//CDG-FRA-ADD-(DEST)-ADD-FRA-DUS-ORD-IAH

It took awhile them to reissue. Allowed me to do 7 segments home, but I really didn't have the time. Completing the trip within one year was the limiting factor.

SUMMARY (my experience today)
  • 8 segments roundtrip
  • complete the trip within one year (probably not a problem for most. On Aeroplan it took me almost two years.)
Old Oct 13, 13, 3:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, United Mileage Plus, Chase Rewards
Hi all,

I am new to booking with United, so I apologize if this is a commonly known aspect. Is there a limit on segments I am allowed during a US-Australia award? I know I can book something like PDX-SEA-NRT-PEK-SYD online for 40K, but it won't let me do any more than four segments. I called Mileage Plus and they said the same - a four segment limit, no layovers of more than 24 hours. smb12 alluded to something different in a tweet to me - that phone agents could play around with it more. What I would really love to do is PDX-SEA-NRT-PEK-BKK-SIN-SYD for 40K, all with less than 24 hour layovers (obviously, some are very close). Is this possible?

Thank you for any help!
Old Oct 15, 13, 9:47 am

Also posted in the openjaw/stopover thread but thought that this might be relevant here, as the agent unequivocally stated that the stopover was seen by the system as an 'additional segment', thus giving me 5 segments on the return and 'breaking' the fare. Has anyone else heard of this?

Original ticketed routing:

CLE-ORD-FRA-BKK-KBV
KBV-BKK-FRA-ORD-CLE

Tried to change to this:

CLE-ORD-FRA-BKK-KBV
KBV-BKK-CDG (Stopover, open jaw)
FRA-ORD-CLE

Sat on the phone for an hour, they tell me this is an invalid routing due to 'too many segments'.
Old Oct 15, 13, 10:12 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Gunner14 View Post
Sat on the phone for an hour, they tell me this is an invalid routing due to 'too many segments'.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ug-2013-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...wards-new.html
Old Oct 15, 13, 10:24 am

I know about the new(ish) 4 segment rule and I have 4 segments in each direction. My question was more around whether a stopover would/should/could be considered a segment.

Search this Thread