Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status/Discussion of UA's DEN-NRT Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
Did anyone cancel their reservation and get UA to waive the fee?
If you booked to fly on the 787 and they don't have 787 service I think UA will allow you to cancel without any further problem or questin. Many of us changed our reservations without a fee because of this.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If you booked to fly on the 787 and they don't have 787 service I think UA will allow you to cancel without any further problem or questin. Many of us changed our reservations without a fee because of this.
They allowed me to change to new routing (via SFO). Slim chance of upgrading on the long leg on the outbound, and now I have 5 flights to get to my final destination and 6 to get back. Problems with both hotels booked, etc. You know, the trip from hell. I realized that I had little desire to go anymore. Was just curious if anyone had tried this.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:35 pm
jdl

FWIW, United puts DEN-NRT back on the schedule starting May 31...
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2298023...chedule-may-31
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
You can't resume something that never started

Originally Posted by denverpost.com
It's planning to resume international 787 flying June 10, from Denver to Tokyo.
UA is planning on STARTING DEN-NRT flight ....

OK, suppose resume int'l flights, starting with DEN-NRT. Still, not great word usage

EmailKid
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Global Entry
787 resumes flying IAH-DEN

Originally Posted by jdl
FWIW, United puts DEN-NRT back on the schedule starting May 31...
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2298023...chedule-may-31
Quoted from this article: "United acknowledged on Monday that the plane is in its schedule starting May 31. Travel website Jaunted.com noted a 787 flight from Houston to Denver that day.

United Continental Holdings Inc. spokeswoman Christen David says the airline will make more schedule changes as it gets a better idea of when the plane will be cleared to fly. It's planning to resume international 787 flying June 10, from Denver to Tokyo."

IAH - DEN resumes on May 31st
DEN - NRT planned to start June 10
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 787dreamer
Quoted from this article: "United acknowledged on Monday that the plane is in its schedule starting May 31. Travel website Jaunted.com noted a 787 flight from Houston to Denver that day.

United Continental Holdings Inc. spokeswoman Christen David says the airline will make more schedule changes as it gets a better idea of when the plane will be cleared to fly. It's planning to resume international 787 flying June 10, from Denver to Tokyo."

IAH - DEN resumes on May 31st
DEN - NRT planned to start June 10
guess for them to do this they had someone on the FAA pass them Inside Info

I wont be setting foot onto any 787 until they prove they can fly numerous days in a row far distances w/o running into having make an emergency landings. but aftera couple weeks of reg flighst would book a domestic flight on it just nothing to do with ETOPs for now. If however JAL or ANA wont return their planes to passenger service then I would avoid the 787 until those carriers resume using them

yep I trust ANA and JAL more then I trust the FAA or Jeff
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I saw one or two 787s sitting at IAH yesterday. They looked very sad ...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:25 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
I saw one or two 787s sitting at IAH yesterday. They looked very sad ...
There are three or four there. Saw one Sunday parked by the hangar east of Term D/E, and the others were parked by UPS planes at far east lot between the two north runways.

Also saw one parked at NRT a week ago Sunday.

EmailKid
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by craz
guess for them to do this they had someone on the FAA pass them Inside Info

I wont be setting foot onto any 787 until they prove they can fly numerous days in a row far distances w/o running into having make an emergency landings. but aftera couple weeks of reg flighst would book a domestic flight on it just nothing to do with ETOPs for now. If however JAL or ANA wont return their planes to passenger service then I would avoid the 787 until those carriers resume using them

yep I trust ANA and JAL more then I trust the FAA or Jeff
I think that is why that IAH-DEN are being used as a trial run to make sure the 787 is airworthy. Then on June 10th, that aircraft will be used for the DEN-NRT runs.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
LAX - PVG 6/30 - 7/10 Shows 777

Originally booked on 787 but now it's showing equipment as 777-200.

Anyone know if this is a sure thing, or if they will slot the 787 back into this route by late June if the issues are resolved?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:54 am

Last night I received an email about a schedule change. My May 14 DEN-NRT has been replaced with DEN-SFO-NRT. I had chosen this route specifically for the 787 so I might try to look at other routes to get from TX to SIN. My booking was with a RewardOne voucher (R class) and without inquiring I don't know what kind of flexibility that has for changes.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jimbob
Last night I received an email about a schedule change. My May 14 DEN-NRT has been replaced with DEN-SFO-NRT. I had chosen this route specifically for the 787 so I might try to look at other routes to get from TX to SIN. My booking was with a RewardOne voucher (R class) and without inquiring I don't know what kind of flexibility that has for changes.
Call. They are very helpful and will rebook you lots of different ways. They wouldn't put me on EWR-NRT though although some others reported getting this routing. They preserved R upgrades that went through. I ended up canceling 4 days before my flight because I really was only going to fly on the 787 and wasn't really looking forward to the trip. They let me cancel DEN-NRT-DEN (via SFO on the new routing) and my EWR-DEN-EWR and get full refund on both with no fees or anything. So look for the routing you want and ask for it.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:46 pm

Thanks dogloverjb. My connection time has changed to 36 minutes now too and I'm afraid that's too risky so I want to change to an earlier first segment anyway.

Given that I am going to try a change does anyone have a suggestion on what the best cross-Pacific choice would be? Note that this is BusinessFirst, it must be UA-coded (maybe even UA metal?), and it's currently for May 14 although I have a little date flexibility. The last item is the total travel time. They're all in the same ballpark.

Code:
SFO - 777-200 - NRT - 29:05
SFO - 747-400 - NRT - 29:05
SFO - 747-400 - HKG - 29:05
LAX - 777-200 - NRT - 29:05
ORD - 777-200 - NRT - 28:34
ORD - 777-200 - HKG - 31:29
IAH - 777-200 - NRT - 31:33
I am originating in SAT but I don't care about the shorter SAT-X segment. The NRT/HKG - SIN segments always appear to be on 777-200s.

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

I like the SFO-NRT 747 as that gives 2 hours to shower at the united club and then walk to ANA lounge for food. The SFO nrT 777 cuts it close.

If you do SFO HKG there is time for snacks at united club (which is perhaps the best club UA has), but maybe not shower. Benefit of HKG is getting most of the flying done by time you get there.

The Biz class product NrT-SIN is CO's, SFO-NRT/HKG and HKG-SIN are United IPTE Biz class. I haven't done the CO version but others say it is good.

747 flying upstairs rocks according to most.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:51 am
jdl

The 787 tests are done, still no timeline...
http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/n...d-testing.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.