Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Smashed glass all over seat and FA makes an insulting joke. + the new FC amenity kit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smashed glass all over seat and FA makes an insulting joke. + the new FC amenity kit.

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver

Just flew PVG-LAX on the 19th in F. Thirty minutes into the flight, a FA accidentally drops an empty wine glass that shatters into a millions pieces all over the chair, floor and tray table of my seat. It was an accident, but still not great to have glass shards everywhere heading into a 12 hour flight. I was pissed despite it being an accident.

She tries picking up all the glass with the safety card and her fingers before I stop her from shredding her hands. No dirt devil on board and I ask if they have tape. She says no. I ask the purser and she finds a roll of United duct tape which I figured they had on board since it seems to be used on half the seats and bathrooms of the entire fleet. The FA was basically useless cleaning up the mess. Another FA then tells me to "be a good boy and just go to sleep, then I won't have to worry about stepping on the glass." I was a little shocked and asked her to repeat herself. She turned and headed back to the galley. ...? That's a level of familiarity I'd prefer not to encounter as a passenger in coach, and certainly not as a passenger in first. I wonder how she would have taken it if I told her "to be a good girl" and bring me a drink or dinner. I'm guessing it wouldn't have been received with the levity she apparently demanded of me. I then hear her telling another FA that I can't take a joke. I hate that these geriatric crew members have no accountability.

I eventually make a few loops with the tape and roll it over the entire chair and all the carpet in the seat area and the aisle and manage to pick up tons of small glass shards. The crew watches me do this and is surprised at how well it works. Really? They've never had to clean up broken glass before in the cabin? No apology from the insulting FA or the purser. The FA that dropped it did say she was sorry, but none of the crew asked if they could do anything for me.

On happier notes, the new first class amenity kit is great. Not SQ or OZ or OS great, but some good improvements. I like the way it unfolds and has a hanging hook. Also smart to put the toothpaste, mouthwash and toothpaste in a clear 1 qt ziploc so it can be removed and taken through security when transferring.

New item on the menu was Cioppino which I thought was bold and risky and actually executed well. Thicker and with noodles to prevent spillage, I thought it was a decent main dish.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs down for for the rude FA, but totally not surprising.

Amenity kits sounds like what LX has given C class pax for years.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Hrmm. What did the wine glass come into contact with that made it shatter into a million pieces? I'm trying to remember the last time I had a broken glass on an airplane and then thinking it was not usually something that caused a million pieces of glass in my seat.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Perhaps they're starting to use tempered glass for their wine glasses?
Old May 21, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
Perhaps they're starting to use tempered glass for their wine glasses?
That's my thoughts as well. Last time a glass broke on an aircraft, it was tempered, so the million pieces were actually okay to pick up bare handed.
Old May 21, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by mlasser
The crew watches me do this and is surprised at how well it works. Really? They've never had to clean up broken glass before in the cabin? No apology from the insulting FA or the purser. The FA that dropped it did say she was sorry, but none of the crew asked if they could do anything for me.
We all make mistakes, but this sounds like only the bare minimum of an apology. Unfortunate.

For the curious: "Toughened or tempered glass is a type of safety glass processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal glass. Tempering creates balanced internal stresses which cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular chunks are less likely to cause injury."

Source
Old May 21, 2012, 8:09 am
Suspended

Not a big deal at all.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:10 am

I then hear her telling another FA that I can't take a joke. I hate that these geriatric crew members have no accountability.
Many, many crew's are top notch and are to be commended. Unfortunately you got the one's that are a "JOKE"!

Let's face it, almost everyone knows that, in FC, if glass is broken and all over a passengers seat a cavalier statement like, "Be a good boy and go to sleep" IN ALL THIS GLASS, is not funny. Dumb! Lazy! Stupid! Inconsiderate! Over the Top!

These "Out of Contract" janitorial duties would probably cause them to "GO ILLEGAL" thus making them too tired to safely continue to "BE PREPARED", and not be there primarily for your safety, should "God Forbid", a real disaster occur!

I reiterate, there are really super, professional, FA's @ UA, especially in FC on international flights, unfortunately you were dealt the "JOKER"!

BTW, I think it's a "BIG DEAL" (pun intended) to sit in broken pieces of glass with my arms exposed to possible cuts for numerous hours, and a lot more concern should have been extended to the OP!
Old May 21, 2012, 8:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LilAbner

Dumb! Lazy! Stupid!

Really? "Stupid"?

Stay classy.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; May 21, 2012 at 8:30 am
Old May 21, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I like the way it unfolds and has a hanging hook.
Sounds like the PMCO BF amenity kit. Grey fabric? Decent design and pretty durable too.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: UA GS
How would they have reacted to "be a good girl and clean up the mess you created"?
International F passenger to clean up the mess the FA made???
try that on SQ or LH.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Really? "Stupid"?

Stay classy.

I am of the opinion that passengers, especially FTer's don't have the duty to sit on every airplane and look for something that they can report back to headquarters or on these forums that gets them a minute of fame. I especially see no need to look for problems that are "NO BIG DEAL" and make something out of it.

However, the OP was quite upset with not only his First Class International seat having glass shards all over, it he was particularly pissed that little or no attempt was made to clean it up, and then a "Really Stupid, Dumb" attempt at a joke was made which made matters worse.

How about this, a little thinking outside the box for a change, like asking another FA for help by the one that obviously didn't know what to do, and after that a few blankets put over the glass to make the OP's experience a little bit safer

"CLASS" is what the OP expected when he purchased his "FIRST CLASS" ticket and what he got was a dumb, lazy, and stupid response!

I'm through responding to people who have the need to defend this type of cavalier service, especially when there was no need for the OP to be treated like he was!!!
Old May 21, 2012, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LilAbner
I'm through responding to people who have the need to defend this type of cavalier service
I assume you are speaking about me in this case? Where did I "defend" the service?

Please produce the quote where I "defended" the service?
Old May 21, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I assume you are speaking about me in this case? Where did I "defend" the service?

You indicated "not a big deal at all". Thus this implies that the service provided by the FAs on this flight was as expected.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS

Did somebody hack your account and posted "Not a big deal"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.