Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by skidooman
The CO-side employees themselves are not accustomed to the new rules.

A few weeks ago, registered for the flight to Mumbai. I used a systemwide (or whatever it is called now) to upgrade. My name was NOT on the list when I went to the airport.

I asked to be put on the list. She said she believed she couldn't do that. "Well, humor me... I have not much confidence in your computer system). That led to a 10-minute speech about how just great the system really is - it is really the CO people trying to operate UA-way that screws up the whole thing.

Matter of perspective indeed.

But she did humor me. And, to her great surprise, SHARES DID let her add my name to the upgrade list.

Then went to EWR. Took a look at united club. "Number four sir, but doesn't look good".

Then, went to the gate, resigned to get my seat in the back. Well, boarding pass doesn't work. "Oh, you are now 2A".

Great!

Even better, somehow, they didn't even charge me for a systemwide. Well, in all likeliness, one of them is going to run out of life anyway, so ultimately it all works out.

So, not only it is a matter of perspective... but the system is really, really broken. It is not only the UA people that can't make heads or tails of SHARES. It is also the CO people that feel that the company is somehow going downhill doing things the UA way.

At least, that upgrade that finally came through kinda reconciled me with the company a bit, because I was starting seriously to consider other options. They still did not send me my card yet. I must be one of these over-entitled SOB that Rainey complained about.
I was joking w a pmUA agent at check in a few weeks ago (I wanted a simple itin card that SHARES cannot do unless the tkt is purchased). She was cursing away trying to force it for me so I asked her "I know you probably won't be honest with me cuz you can't, but is there ANYTHING about SHARES that's better then FASTAIR, ANYTHING AT ALL, JUST ONE THING? She laughed and said "not one freeking thing - I've been doing this job for 25 years and this system just brought us back 30 years". That was her quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:28 am

Location: Sandpoint,Idaho- previously- Colorado, NYC, New England, SC
Programs: United Millionmiler 1/Star Alliance Gold, National Emerald Executive for Life, Best Western Platinum
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I was joking w a pmUA agent at check in a few weeks ago (I wanted a simple itin card that SHARES cannot do unless the tkt is purchased). She was cursing away trying to force it for me so I asked her "I know you probably won't be honest with me cuz you can't, but is there ANYTHING about SHARES that's better then FASTAIR, ANYTHING AT ALL, JUST ONE THING? She laughed and said "not one freeking thing - I've been doing this job for 25 years and this system just brought us back 30 years". That was her quote
Almost word for word the quotes that I got from employeees in March, April in several different conversations on flights/in terminals,clubs around the US.Currently flying less-family reasons- for awhile.-though I avoid almost any/all business flying in summer months if at all possible.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
That reminds me. I don't know how much revenue is run through the Travel Agent side of the business, but they will be having the same issues as employees with the new system. The difference is, they are able to make different decisions of how and where to direct their traffic. Anyone have a feel for what's going on there?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
As far as calling them for anything, yes they do pick up the phone pretty quickly but useless thereafter. They put you on hold while they ask their help desk or colleagues nearby.
Precisely. My call is picked up relatively quickly; the actual reason for calling now takes 5x longer to work (mostly on hold). In the end what used to take 5 minutes now takes on average 30.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
That reminds me. I don't know how much revenue is run through the Travel Agent side of the business, but they will be having the same issues as employees with the new system. The difference is, they are able to make different decisions of how and where to direct their traffic. Anyone have a feel for what's going on there?
Paging bocastephen - believe he said he's directed over $10MM of TA bookings AWAY from UA this year due to the ill-sightedness of this new regime.

A few more of those and we're talking real money!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pigx5
There are 2 way to do business:
1. If you don't like me, by all means, go to other carriers.
2. If you don't like me, please let me know and I will try to do reasonable improvement to gain your business.

I believe the first one is the worse way to do business.
Since this is a community dedicated to maximizing the benefits of the travel experience and because I don't work for UA, focusing on #1 seems to be appropriate for the situation.

That said, I can't really see UA taking the feedback in this community seriously when considering reasonable improvements to gain customer business.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Paging bocastephen - believe he said he's directed over $10MM of TA bookings AWAY from UA this year due to the ill-sightedness of this new regime.

A few more of those and we're talking real money!
I remember that comment. I've heard in the last couple weeks it's not any better on that side, so I thought I would try to qualify the hearsay.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My aunt, a former TA, actually said the other day she preferred the old command-line interfaces over the GUIs and remembered when Apollo first got a GUI overlay. She claimed to be much faster with the commands.

Obviously, she's retired and not having to deal with all the mess at the moment.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
Since this is a community dedicated to maximizing the benefits of the travel experience... (break)
I'm shocked. Rainey is that you? That part of your post is enough for any sensible decision maker in the travel business to be "ALL EARS". Whether they do or not, and I believe they do to some degree, is another question.

If they didn't listen to some share of their loyal customers, and this site does provide immediate and free feedback, they might as well shut down the Marketing, Advertising and Customer Loyalty Dept's, Focus Groups, etc, etc, etc.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
That said, I can't really see UA taking the feedback in this community seriously when considering reasonable improvements to gain customer business.
Yeah that doesn't make any sense at all, listening to a sizeable pool of your most profitable, frequent, and loyal customers, many of whom via business or family have a multiplier effect when it comes to booking and influence

Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:15 pm
Suspended

I'm shocked. Rainey is that you? That part of your post is enough for any sensible decision maker in the travel business to be "ALL EARS". Whether they do or not, and I believe they do to some degree, is another question.

If they didn't listen to some share of their loyal customers, and this site does provide immediate and free feedback, they might as well shut down the Marketing, Advertising and Customer Loyalty Dept's, Focus Groups, etc, etc, etc.
Today, much of the feedback on this forum is contradictory, petty, or counter-productive. An airline can certainly get a sense of what a small subset of customers think, but there are much more productive and effective ways to determine what your best customers want.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense at all, listening to a sizeable pool of your most profitable, frequent, and loyal customers, many of whom via business or family have a multiplier effect when it comes to booking and influence

This community is populated by a small subset of anonymous customers.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This community is populated by a small subset of anonymous customers.
Yup, such a small subset of anonymous customers, described positively by a former airline CEO as an "early warning system" IIRC. Must not even be worth the time for the majority of leading airlines and hotels to have an official presence on here.

Oh wait...
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Yup, such a small subset of anonymous customers, described positively by a former airline CEO as an "early warning system" IIRC. Must not even be worth the time for the majority of leading airlines and hotels to have an official presence on here.

Oh wait...
I never said the feedback from this community should be ignored.

I don't think a reasonable person would expect any company to use an anonymous subset of self-described "best customers" who are focused on finding loopholes in the company's programs and policies as its primary source of feedback.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I never said the feedback from this community should be ignored.

I don't think a reasonable person would expect any company to use an anonymous subset of self-described "best customers" who are focused on finding loopholes in the company's programs and policies as its primary source of feedback.
I disagree that the majority of this community is focused on finding loopholes....maybe limited to those in the "trick it" thread or something.

This member of the community is on here trying to figure out how to make my seat assignments actually stick, why boarding times seem to be at the whim of the GA, and all other manner of inconsistencies in the new world order of UA.

As a side note, I recently received a very nice email from the Marriott elite program. They noticed I had not been staying at Marriott properties as often and asked what they could improve to win back my business. This included a very well written, personal follow up email from their staff.

Not once in the communication did they indicate I was "over entitled" for expecting benefits for my loyalty.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wholly incorrect for the 99% of us on here who fly regularly and contribute to FT

Maybe your opinion and situation are different

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.