Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I hate to be such a contrarian, but I think UA was actually improving tangibly under Tilton.

Despite the fact that PMCO had such a stellar reputation, they have been largely coasting on the considerable goodwill they generated in the Gordon Bethune days.

With a few notable exceptions, virtually everything Bethune's successors have done diminished the product at PMCO, while under Tilton, the PMUA product tangibly improved.
Your opinion is certainly valid, I just disagree. Tilton led the cost cutting brigade, and really accelerated employee resentment. The biggest reason I quit UA was openly hostile employees.

Again, I am someone who will gladly pay a 20% premium for good customer service, so i have a different outlook.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I won't be riding anybody's 787 in steerage if they install 17 inch seats.
Seeing as I don't ride in 'steerage' anyway, this won't be an issue.

Yes, my 18" a** would have trouble fitting in a 17" seat...
Old May 23, 2012, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
DEN777: ()

Depending upon your travel patterns, UA will probably be your best DEN option, and it will only get better over the next couple of years.
Why? If the service sucks, no, it might not be the best option. And it better do a 180 if it's to get better.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Originally Posted by Orion
I am Gold at UA and I have spent much of the time lately flying around in Econ Minus on CO aircraft not yet modified for Econ Plus. I do get an upgrade once in a while and am happy to get it. On paper I may be over entitled but I am rarely able to collect on those fab benefits.
I am a 1K with 2.85 Million Miles (over 2.5 million BIS miles) and I rarely even get E+ on PMUA aircraft, let alone FC. I purchase my tickets last minute and walk by the Kettles who have bought E+ for pennies.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by majortom
I am a 1K with 2.85 Million Miles (over 2.5 million BIS miles) and I rarely even get E+ on PMUA aircraft, let alone FC. I purchase my tickets last minute and walk by the Kettles who have bought E+ for pennies.
So, you should like the way UA is modifying the system...

Assuming you are buying Y ('last minute'), it will benefit you that UA holds back F seats so somebody like you - high value, last minute buyer - can get the upgrade.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
DEN777: ()
Depending upon your travel patterns, UA will probably be your best DEN option, and it will only get better over the next couple of years.
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Why? If the service sucks, no, it might not be the best option. And it better do a 180 if it's to get better.
Never say never and I hope UA does get its act together, but I did manage without UA for 10 years in SFO. Just like in SFO, AA and DL will get me anywhere I want to go in NA and with Wi-Fi. TPAC? CX First now via LAX. TATL? LH or BA First nonstop from DEN. AA even has a brand new AC in DEN. My biggest problem is going to be what do about SFO777. I'm just happy to be out of California.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:07 am

Assuming you are buying Y ('last minute'), it will benefit you that UA holds back F seats so somebody like you - high value, last minute buyer - can get the upgrade.
Not if the F seats are sold for TODs before the upgrade queues run.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Your opinion is certainly valid, I just disagree. Tilton led the cost cutting brigade, and really accelerated employee resentment. The biggest reason I quit UA was openly hostile employees.

Again, I am someone who will gladly pay a 20% premium for good customer service, so i have a different outlook.
I found customer service--on the whole--quite a bit less hostile at the end of the Tilton regime than at the beginning.

And certainly far less hostile than it is now, under the PMCO juggernaut.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Not if the F seats are sold for TODs before the upgrade queues runs.
Agreed, based upon reports I read here (not my own personal experience), the system is still being fine tuned...

But, my understanding is that a flyer like majortom should benefit from the new system when it is functioning properly.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by desperationsearch
Short of strap us to the outside of the plane I doubt there is more a worse regeime could do. And, frankly, I doubt one could find a worse regeime. Would Lorenzo take over again?
Please don't dismiss that option. In case UA is reading this, I wouldn't want them to think that's a bad idea.

If we were strapped to the outside of the plane:

1. We would not have to listen to nauseating videos of $mi$ek lying to us,
2. We'd get lots of fresh air and sunshine,
3. We wouldn't have to debate whether or not to choose between undrinkable black crap (marketed as coffee) or no coffee since there would be no drink service,
4. They wouldn't be able to force us to turn off our iPads at takeoff and landing since they could not communicate with us

There is the issue of extreme wind and extreme cold. I'll have a think on that.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Agreed, based upon reports I read here (not my own personal experience), the system is still being fine tuned...

But, my understanding is that a flyer like majortom should benefit from the new system when it is functioning properly.
My only comment about TOD's being "fixed," is I wouldn't hold my breath...all you have to do is take a quick peek at the PMCO forum and see that this problem has been cropping up--intermittently--for years, again and again.

Once it was identified and the outcry became overwhelming, CO would "fix" it. Then, a few months later, the same thing would happen all over again, repeatedly.

It's almost as if CO used this feature as a stealth method to generate a little more marginal revenue when it felt it needed to...

After all, that's what the "dynamic pricing" feature of SHARES is for.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; May 23, 2012 at 9:28 am
Old May 23, 2012, 9:20 am

I found customer service--on the whole--quite a bit less hostile at the end of the Tilton regime than at the beginning.

And certainly far less hostile than it is now, under the PMCO juggernaut.
Fair enough.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:22 am

Go back to what UA Insider said. The implication was that Golds and above were seeing a higher ability to get seated in E+, without there being a demonstrative decline in Silvers being seated in E+, while admitting some may be getting there through purchasing E+ rather than waiting for T-24. Both statements can't be true, when you think about it.

Also, seating in F has already been fine-tuned. If there are more premiers than F seats, purchased upgrades will be offered to all before CPUs run, in most cases. Any 'fine-tuning' would entail a change of policy, not a 'fine-tuning' of current policy.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Nope, not at all.

My last minute fares are rarely Y/B or even M. I almost never purchase more than a day in advance - often buy on the way to the airport (well, I used to do that, with the magic that is SHARES, that is a big risk now). Given the ToDs sales, I think I have had 1 upgrade in my last 10 flights, so no, I do not like the changes.

I am not a fan of UDU (never was), and think their new priorities make loyalty meaningless.

Their new system reminds me of why I hated Ted (and despite having a house in Orlando, frequent conferences in Las Vegas and living in LA never flew it).
As someone who books last minute with load factors as high as they are, upgrades matter to me in one of two ways: either I get one, or someone in an E+ seat gets one and I can get their old E+ seat. Given that Ted had no First Class there were no upgrades that meant that the full E+ seats remained full. United's current system ensures that there are no E+ seats (cheap sales in advance and at the kiosk) and that there are no upgrades (again, usually sold-out thanks to ToDs) for me or to free and E+ seat.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:50 am

It's almost as if CO used this feature as a stealth method to generate a little more marginal revenue when it felt it needed to...

After all, that's what the "dynamic pricing" feature of SHARES is for.
I did find this comment in Mr. Rainey's presentation to be quite interesting. SHARES has the ability to support Dynamic seat pricing... (I assume Apollo did not?)

This certainly does mean that they have more 'levers' that they can use to adjust / fine tune the system to maximize revenue on an (almost) real time basis...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.