Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by belynch
Haven't read all 40 pages of this thread - but at face value I agree with the CFO (although it was a dumb remark to make in public).

I think we've all witnessed "bad customers" both in-person and on here. From a finance standpoint it only makes sense to fire these customers if they can't be converted to revenue +.

They aren't worth the time, aggravation, or expense.
When your business is trying to fill fixed-size aluminum tubes with people, your least profitable customers are the ones that leave you with empty seats.

EDIT: After reading a few more posts in this thread that showed up while I was posting, it seems folks are starting to miss what COdbaUA is trying to do here. I'm not sure they give a sh*t that a few hundred flyertalker-1Ks are earning their status with the lowest fare buckets / vouchers and are otherwise taxing the system.

No, the statement here in both actions (policy changes) and words (CFO's comments) is much broader, and is twofold:

(i) With airline consolidation, 100K miles flown just fundamentally means less than it did before, so CO is reducing benefits (especially when compared with pmUA's treatment of top-tier elites) to reflect that viewpoint.
(ii) CO mgmt believes certain types of transactions are more valuable than broader customer relationships. In particular, they believe high gross margin (e.g. Y fares) should be encouraged more so (or in some cases instead of) than a general long-term relationship (2Ps on Y fares trumping 1Ks in discount economy buckets for u/gs is one manifestation of this)

Personally, I think (i) is probably the inevitable result of consolidation (though COdbaUA may be undercutting the market on this one at least initially), and (ii) just represents a poor understanding of airline unit economics and demand elasticity, but that's neither here nor there. Point is UA is not on a campaign against the FT "gamers-of-the-system", (don't be so self-centered, FT ); it's much broader and much worse than that.

Last edited by UnitedConnection; May 21, 2012 at 9:12 am
Old May 21, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
When your business is trying to fill fixed-size aluminum tubes with people, your least profitable customers are the ones that leave you with empty seats.
I don't necessarily think the "bad customers" are limited to bottom-fare feeders. UA sets the fares, they have to accept people buy them.

We shouldn't ignore that there's folks who try and manipulate the system for their personal gain whose behavior borders on unethical. And then there's those that are simply irrational. Why would I want a customer purchasing my product that compares me to Nazi Germany (as I've seen on these BBs multiple times)? If you're so disconnected with reality that you would even think that, let alone post that in a public forum, you're probably not worth dealing with.

But again, I don't know explicitly who the CFO was talking about, any more than the folks who are making the leap to assume that he was referring to FTers, or elites in general.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Nicely Done, Sir!!!

THIS is the essence of the problem currently being created by FLIBS, Rainey, and the HouCrew.

In a time of under capacity, over demand and stable (if HIGH) fuel costs - UA can make money whether it likes, hates, or is indifferent to the wants and needs of high frequency travelers. Ma and Pa Kettle can cover the lost revenue with a couple E+ purchases and an extra trip to DisneyLand.

HOWEVER, in times of high capacity, low demand and unstable fuel costs, this whole thing goes 'gznorbitz' - and the high frequency flier is NEEDED to cover fixed costs.

Whether TeamCLE can win them back, when they NEED them, is yet to be seen. And it will be the deciding factor as to whether UA makes it or not, IMO.

Dave
Old May 21, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
Wow this guy is a jackass... In responding to the first question he seems to blame the monumental fiasco that was the month of March on his customers' and employees' "inability to handle change".
Old May 21, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by channa
And also, economic conditions change this substantially. This kind of stuff we're seeing from this management team would never fly in a down economy where they're having to fight for customers to fill their planes. But now they seem comfortable that they have enough customers for their capacity that they can tinker with this stuff.

It remains to be seen what happens as more customers become disgruntled and leave. Or if the economic situation worsens, and they no longer have a loyal customer base to carry them through the down times.
I'd argue that we still aren't in a great economy but the airlines finally tipped the scales in their favor and slashed capacity. They also benefit from fewer competitors (some LCC's some Majors) which also means less capacity. Fewer players in the market also mean people have fewer options and disgruntled elites don't have many options if they are not pleased with their benefits.

The cost of your Elite-ness is actually quite large. You are earning a healthy bonus on your flights, you are pre-assigning E+ seating they cannot sell to someone else, and you admitted that you're flying on very Elite-heavy flights, flights where they probably would love to have an extra E+ seat to upsell to some E- customer in the back.

Although you pay for your club membership (as do I), the frequency of use on a 1K member is probably very high that it's not a great deal for them (I often bring a guest in the club on my membership, so they really don't like me). Plus 1Ks get the biggest discounts on the membership, so it's really a lose-lose for the airline.

It all adds up.
I do get where you are going with this but I'd argue what do you really pay for in a Club membership. I finally caved and went with the First year free Club Card promo but held out for this long because I just didn't see the value. I mean UA offers (costs):
Leased space at airports
Club Agents/Bartenders/Cleaning staff
Cheap snacks (probably purchased in bulk and cost $.50 an item if that)
Free beer/wine/alcohol
Magazines
Printer/a few computer terminals
Showers at a few clubs
Free Wifi

Yet look at how crowded some clubs can be. No more AMEX holders so the *G people and guests are the only one's getting in "for free". I'd argue anyone that goes in and doesn't drink or has 1 every once in a while costs the Club very little. So take the thousands of members and multiply by an average of $400/year and I wonder if it is UA that is really making a fair amount of money off of us. Yes, they are in the business of making money, but you should get the point.

Originally Posted by pdx1M
Couple of observations:
2. The notion of the dirt cheap 1K is much overblown. Sure there are folks here that absolutely minimize the cost of getting 1K but look again at a typical biz flyer. Even if they are buying far out trans-cons (probably the most cost efficient way to earn the miles) a reasonable guess for a typical flight (I just looked at a few examples out of PDX) is in the $500 range. Even 20 of those is $10K per year. Realistically a lot of those biz flyer mix trans-cons with short hauls where the mileage efficiency is much worse. It would be interesting to know but I'd be willing to wager that the typical 1K actually represents more than $10K revenue to UA per year (and likely more than 15K). On the other hand, a kettle isn't flying only to biz destination but to highly cost competitive leisure destinations. So again - how many 2 or 3 trip per year new kettles do you need to attract to replace a single 1K that you lose on the revenue side. Again - perhaps I a being dense but the math doesn't seem to work.
I wonder about this as well, at least from a post 3/3 perspective. Fares have generally gone up. You really have to search high and wide for a deep discounted MR. The days of the PMCO cheap B fare when you could fly EWR-HKG for $1500 on a B fare and make Plat in 2 trips and change are a distant memory. I’m a 1K and generally try find the cheapest fare (on UA) due to corporate policies and still spend a large chunk of change.

Chicken and egg.
I think you may be underestimating the influence that many business travelers have over their travel and even their need to travel in the first place. People fabricate the need to fly.

There are many situations where someone may be on the fence about taking a trip altogether, and status/perks can influence that. I can't count the number of times towards the end of the year that people have justified the need for a conference, meeting, or customer visit because they were short of an Elite tier.

And that doesn't even get into the facet that you're alluding to, which is for absolutely necessary travel. Loyal frequent flyers are repeatedly having to justify their airline or airline choice to get their travel dept. to book it or allow it. I can tell you with 100% certainty that if I didn't specify an airline for my flights and prove it's cost-competitive, I would be booked on WN for all of my domestic business flights. This is true for my last two (2) employers. My other half is in the same boat at her company. There is no way we're alone on this.

I believe these types of scenarios represent a significant amount of UA's business, which is why we're seeing so much discontent lately -- the incentives have been reduced to the point where it may no longer be worth the hassle to prefer UA over some other carrier, and people are disheartened and frustrated that they spend the extra time, effort and expense, justifying or flying sub-optimal flights to remain loyal to a company that is willing to go on record not respecting said loyalty.
Spot on right here. I know many of us travel so much that they just want to get from A-B as quickly as possible but many of us stick with one airline and try as hard as possible to stay with that carrier for earning purposes. I know I have connected on UA rather than taken a nonstop on DL. The schedules were comparable it just required me to get up earlier Mon morning and I did it.

Last edited by nova08; May 21, 2012 at 9:49 am
Old May 21, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
The problem they have is this. I was a very loyal NW customer before the DL merger for international travel; always Plat. US was my number two, they fit my east coast travel. Post the NW/DL merger I moved all of my domestic travel to US and international to *A. Now I'm locked in, I never look at DL. Once you've pushed customers to move, they get locked in and they never look back. Pushing your top tier customers to consider other options is very dangerous. Once they're locked into another carrier/alliance it's very hard for them to change back.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nova08
Fewer players in the market also mean people have fewer options and disgruntled elites don't have many options if they are not pleased with their benefits.
All true. However, these "disgruntled elites" don't need MANY options. They only need ONE in order to stop them from giving their high frequency travel money to UA.

Wait till planes aren't jammed full and see what happens to the bottom line. @:-)

Dave
Old May 21, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by EWR764

"Essentially" does not make it an enforceable contract, and such a customer in your hypothetical would probably not find much success pursuing a claim against an airline for a breach of contract.
Don't count on it.

As noted, there is not one case that I am aware of in which a court has found a legal obligation exists for a carrier to deliver elite benefits as advertised.

snip snip
Not yet.

This is the first time that a major air carrier severely slashed frequent flier benefits for most of its members.

Yes, I agree that the airlines have a right to change their program. However, in the case of UA, there were specific "lifetime" benefits that UA did not have a right to rescind. In those cases, a contract was created after members agreed to purchase services from UA in anticipation of the advertised "lifetime" benefits.

This is a particular area of frequent flier change that has not yet been explored in the courts.

The absence of an entitlement is not even ambiguous, it is crystal-clear.
Crystal clear to whom? Certainly not to many out here.

It is not only the "lifetime" benefits that cannot be breached by an airline.

In a hypothetical case an air carrier suddenly decides to no longer offer a bag fee waiver to certain members. Suppose those same members possess the UA/Chase Mileage Explorer credit card that has an annual fee and includes a bag fee waiver.

Do you really believe that Chase and UA are not obligated for the contract that was created when the passenger acquired the UA/Chase Explorer credit card?

Do you really believe that the customer would not have a claim against UA and Chase in the above example?

Yes, elites do have contracts in certain cases. I could cite more examples but there is no need. Clearly, in many cases, a contract with UA was created when customers accepted specific offers.

Consequently, in light of Mr. Rainey's speach to BofA personnel, UA should, immediately, rein in Mr Rainey from future speaking engagements. Rainey's
speech created additional ill will to the little remaining reputation of the merged UA.
-
Old May 21, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by pbuntrock
The problem they have is this. I was a very loyal NW customer before the DL merger for international travel; always Plat. US was my number two, they fit my east coast travel. Post the NW/DL merger I moved all of my domestic travel to US and international to *A. Now I'm locked in, I never look at DL. Once you've pushed customers to move, they get locked in and they never look back. Pushing your top tier customers to consider other options is very dangerous. Once they're locked into another carrier/alliance it's very hard for them to change back.
Yes, but if DL had the 787, it might be a different story. A lot is riding on that plane...
Old May 21, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but if DL had the 787, it might be a different story. A lot is riding on that plane...
Don't they also need a "ROUTE NETWORK!!!!" ??

Just askin.

Dave
Old May 21, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by btbx11
Wow this guy is a jackass... In responding to the first question he seems to blame the monumental fiasco that was the month of March on his customers' and employees' "inability to handle change".
I know. I couldn't believe that line.

I've seen these types in my own organization. When no one is flying UA metal, he will be touting to investors how UA was able to dramatically decrease its spend on fuel.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I know. I couldn't believe that line.

I've seen these types in my own organization. When no one is flying UA metal, he will be touting to investors how UA was able to dramatically decrease its spend on fuel.
====================

This guy is a great CFO. Cost cutting adds to the bottom line immediately means a bigger bonu$ to the board and the senior management. The damage, if any, to UA will only be visible years later. By then, he is similing with $$$ in his pocket and is well-sought after for CFO/CEO possitons by the wall street to run other companies.

Yes. I have seen these types in my own organization too.

No more loyalty from me but I will fly UA if the price and schedule are right.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by bseller
All true. However, these "disgruntled elites" don't need MANY options. They only need ONE in order to stop them from giving their high frequency travel money to UA.

Wait till planes aren't jammed full and see what happens to the bottom line. @:-)

Dave
Good point Dave. I would love to see the number of people who have switched recently. Unfortunately, only AA and DL will actually know. UA wont really know themselves since they will only be able to look at broader measures such as how many elites requalify. And it will probably take until 2014 for them to get good numbers on that with the merger this year.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by bseller

Dave
No doubt but as some threads have alluded to, the grass may not always be greener on the other side. There are positives and negatives to every FF program and you just have to find the one that suits your needs/expectations appropriately. Yes you only need 1 airline to fit the bill but it may be tougher to find that in today's consolidated industry.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mp00118
No more loyalty from me but I will fly UA if the price and schedule are right.
This whole concept of loyalty to a corporation is ridiculous.

Maybe I am from a different generation, but to me, being loyal to a corporation seems stupid. As stupid as the notion of the corporation caring about me in any other way than to extract money from me.

For me, its all about how I can use the current system to my advantage, and what I can get out of the corporation, I have no sense of loyalty at all.

UA currently works for me because they offer what I value most - easy to get, good value incl one-way, surcharge free complex international itineraries as rewards on very good partners. Throw in an occasional domestic upgrade, and I m happy. Certainly wont cry if I miss one. Once upon a time NW worked for me, then it was CO, then it was the BD scheme. Now I will have A3 Gold. No loyalty whatsoever, its all about ME.

Unlike so many here that feel that somehow United wont function without them - I have no illusions that my business somehow matters to UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.