Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA-1k and missing CO AA EXP
Over entitled and under appreciated now...bye bye UA hello AA!!! As they say in Pretty Women ..You work on commission right, big mistake, huge mistake!!
Old May 19, 2012, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by dparkinson
A block ticket is issued with the purpose of getting you to point B when you're at a location where something broke, it's not given as compensation for the delay. In fact, if you ask the MTA, they'll write a nice letter to your boss it's their fault you're late but that's the extent of their generosity. Similarly, UA will rebook you or endorse you to another carrier if the plane breaks, but that's the extent of their responsibility. As for the car stereo, yes they replace it, but you're not given anything as an apology for it breaking, which is exactly what a sky kit is.
A block ticket reimburses me for the full value I paid for the service not provided (in the form of a free, full fare ticket.) UA never did that nor were they asked to. What they did was fairly reimburse me for the portion of the service not provided - be it a malfunction or the lack of timely conveyance or whatever. Continental and the current Continental management team feels they can promise a first class experience, fail in providing it, then say "tough, we got you there so stop complaining". It's been that way with them for years. I and others voted with our feet and wallets and went to real airlines that felt responsible for providing all parts of their promised service. Now that it's Continental again and everyone clearly sees the deception many will just vote with their feet and wallets again.

Last edited by desperationsearch; May 19, 2012 at 11:52 pm Reason: Grammos
Old May 19, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
People made one hell of a leap on this thread. How quickly "We have certain groups in this (Mileage Plus) program that were over entitled..." jumped into them not appreciating the top customers and then morphed into them not appreciating any customers.

While there were certainly some rough patches, most are now past (at least from my experiences) and some on here just seemed determined to spout negativity.

I get it, somethings aren't perfect, but jeez, it's sunday, there will be a monday
Old May 19, 2012, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Renard
The only surprise to me about any of is this is that people are actually surprised by the CFO's comments. What about ""WE DONT CARE"" don't we understand?
Not surprised. Surprised they would say it on the record.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
People made one hell of a leap on this thread. How quickly "We have certain groups in this (Mileage Plus) program that were over entitled..." jumped into them not appreciating the top customers and then morphed into them not appreciating any customers.

While there were certainly some rough patches, most are now past (at least from my experiences) and some on here just seemed determined to spout negativity.

I get it, somethings aren't perfect, but jeez, it's sunday, there will be a monday
It's because actions matched their words. Things of the past? Do you read the forum? Nice try.

Last edited by demkr; May 19, 2012 at 11:55 pm
Old May 19, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by channa
I don't know if we can assume this.

While you certainly have one train of thought, and it makes sense, it sort of sounds like this is the course of action they want -- by leaving, you free up a seat so they can sell it to someone else who uses less costly benefits.

What they don't want you to do is fly additional $200 transcons, check your full baggage allowance, guest 2 strangers into the club, drink lots of drinks, throw yogurt raisins in the trash by the cupful, and then redeem your miles for EasyPass awards that have only one (1) seat left for sale. Seems they're saying that hurts them more than leaving.
I understand your point, however my train of thought is different than theirs. It's on a rare occasion that I am on a flight that is 100% full. Meaning, if there were enough customers to go around, the flights should be 100%, plus some left at the gate and I'm not counting NRSA's.

That leads me to believe that finding a replacement BIS for me, will be tougher for them than they think. Even "if" my revenue is low yield, with even one empty seat, they could use my lost revenue to offset fixed costs. As long as I haven't displaced a higher margin customer, which can only be proven by having a full plane, an airline should want my money.

Am I misunderstanding the "dynamics", as Rainey puts it, of the airline business?
Old May 19, 2012, 11:57 pm

Nope, no Monday for Continental. From now on its MondAAy.

In all seriousness, the business from thousands of 1Ks and GS is already lost. The next management team will have to work hard to try to win it back once they realize that good customers aren't the problem.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by desperationsearch

Nope, no Monday for Continental. From now on its MondAAy.
I'm just shocked that a legacy CO non-rev elite's experiences would be different from ours.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:11 am

Smisek and his slimy team are this decades Lorenzo & Co. They will destroy United's reputation and create a toxic labor mess. These men have no clue how to run an airline and that will be shown in PRASM this year. They are true embarrasements and the legacy ua workforce and customers can see right through their sloganeering and outright lies.

Give me a break.

And how about the dreadful new NRSA program that hosed PMUA actives/retirees? Promised benefits thrown out by the Texas carpetbaggers and spun around as an enhancement? Throwing out retiree companion passes entirely. Raising base ZED fares by nearly 40%.

Thankfully the PMUA-ers would neverggo along with the CO halucination of a management member with 6 months at the company boarding before a 30 years of service frontline. Smisek & Co. sure are on their way to creating a positive culture filled with respect.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 20, 2012 at 3:48 am Reason: merge
Old May 20, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: None - previously UA
If you think about it he is talking about PMUA 1K's , if you are are high enough revenue you get flagged as GS. But the message is that the average 1K is "over-entitled", don't expect your to keep receiving 80 to 90% upgrade rate. Take your annual $20K spend somewhere else for all they care, you are replaceable.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If you think about it he is talking about PMUA 1K's , if you are are high enough revenue you get flagged as GS. But the message is that the average 1K is "over-entitled", don't expect your to keep receiving 80 to 90% upgrade rate. Take your annual $20K spend somewhere else for all they care, you are replaceable.
Unfortunately, I think this summarizes it quite well. It's sad that we are no longer valued.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
While that could be true, for the sake of discussion a case could be made that the lower levels of elites are what are being referred to. Silvers that no longer have E+ access at booking or full luggage allowance or only 25% RDM bonus and possibility Golds that have had their RDM bonus reduced and priority dropped a level. I have not real info either way, but the statement was sufficiently vague.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by tom911
UA is the only airline with a sizable hub at SFO (Virgin is headquartered here, but just a few destinations). That wouldn't be much different than AA flyers looking for alternatives at DFW. UA doesn't provide a lot of service there. If convenience is your highest priority, and nonstop flights fall in that parameter, there isn't anyone at SFO that can compete against UA on that scale. I notice a lot of FTers are willing to take those AA connections now and quite a few I personally know in the Bay Area have done AA status matches.
I'm based out of SFO, and this year I've been taking a lot of connecting flights with UA on routes that they also serve nonstop-- particularly SFO/IAD and SFO/NYC -- because when I book 5-7 days out the nonstops are $300 more expensive than the connecting routes. For this reason alone I've been thinking of taking the status match to AA.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Avis First
I am currently AA EXP and UA Gold. I had 130K EQM (85K BIS) with AA so far this year. With current my travel pattern, I can easily make both EXP and 1K this year. After I heard what he said, I am really annoyed. I swear I won't spend any $$ on United from today. I will have a ticket booked on UA to cancel. AA is always my first choice and now I start thinking whether I should use DL as my backup - I really hate sky pesos though. Maybe WN?
Old May 20, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by channa
I don't know if we can assume this.

While you certainly have one train of thought, and it makes sense, it sort of sounds like this is the course of action they want -- by leaving, you free up a seat so they can sell it to someone else who uses less costly benefits.

What they don't want you to do is fly additional $200 transcons, check your full baggage allowance, guest 2 strangers into the club, drink lots of drinks, throw yogurt raisins in the trash by the cupful, and then redeem your miles for EasyPass awards that have only one (1) seat left for sale. Seems they're saying that hurts them more than leaving.
But that is what my UA custom is turning into (and I suspect the custom of many other elites). I no longer book UA whenever I possibly can, no matter the cost and the schedule. The main factor that governs my decision to book UA today is price. Others include schedule convenience, more baggage allowance, international lounge access, and likelihood of upgrade (e g I rarely choose them domestically in the US anymore). Yes, I will probably requalify as 1K - but mostly because of flights on *A partners (even on routes where they compete with UA which I would never have done before). I've turned from a loyal elite into one who only picks UA when my ENTITLEMENT makes it worth my while. Wouldn't dream of going out of my way and book UA LHR-SFO-SYD or LHR-IAD-GRU anymore. How does that help their bottom line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.