Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Elites in general aren't overentitled, select ones were. Aka the ones who asked skykits when IFE was busted or demanded compensation over any little (or big problem). The appeasement of that whining has stopped and perhaps that's what they meant. Those elites expected the world on any little mess up and UA isn't playing ball anymore.
Yeah, how dare those damn customers expect everything promised to work.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:09 pm

Way to go! Insult/belittle your elite flyers ... stay classy Mr CFO.

I wish UA has another terrible quarter, that would be a good time to evaluate if the CFO/CEO are "over entitled" to their benefits and million $+ paychecks.

Just when you think it can't get any worse
Old May 19, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mreed911
FTFY.
And just to add a little bit more food for thought. When you look at the share price under this management team since the merger, I'd actually be fairly embarrassed to be on the team.

UAL stock price 10/1/10 - 24.70
UAL stock Price 5/18/12 - 20.93
Percent Change -15.2%

S&P 500 10/1/10 - 1146
S&P 500 5/18/12 - 1295
Percent Change +13%

DJ Transportation Index 10/1/10 - 4509
DJ Transportation Index 5/18/92 - 4873
Percent Change +8%

This management team has drastically underperformed market and the relevant indexes in the most important measure, share price. By what measure has this management team over-performed since the merger closed? Name one.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Maybe Harrah's should buy an airline. They give comps based on spend and everyone is fine with it. Then we could refer to top-tier FF's as whales.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Sounds like COdbaUA should hire this guy - http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2007/11/ed-screw-the-na/. I heard he's available.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
If the subway breaks down, do you get a free fare? How about if the car stereo breaks in your leased car, do you get a credit to your payment? When stuff breaks, it sucks, but you don't get handed money every time in life something is busted, and you shouldn't.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:22 pm

If the subway breaks down, do you get a free fare? How about if the car stereo breaks in your leased car, do you get a credit to your payment? When stuff breaks, it sucks, but you don't get handed money every time in life something is busted, and you shouldn't.
If you buy the hardware and it breaks, if you don't have a warranty you're out of luck.

If you buy a service and it isn't provided in its entirety, only fools accept lesser service for the same cost.

Yes, even the New York City subway is no exception. Look up what a "block ticket" is.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
When my car breaks the manufacturer pays to fix it and gives me a loaner car for free. I guess people could just file DOT complaints when their seat doesn't work, but the compensation mechanism seems easier and more geared at avoiding additional government regulations.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
"Keeping out the riff-raff"

As a Fawlty Towers fan I look on this CFO as the Basil Fawlty of the airline industry.

In A Touch of Class Basil tries to attract a "better class" of clientele to the hotel's restaurant, and to "keep out the riff-raff." It doesn't end well.

Sound familiar?
Old May 19, 2012, 11:28 pm

Beware Skypeso bait-and-switch

Originally Posted by demkr
But Delta downgraded the value of a mile for redemption. They didn't downgrade upgrades (they added F seats)-and they created an elite level which I believe gives a 125% bonus RDM.

UA is choosing to most of this in the form of upgrades...
So after I read this posting about downgrading the value of a mile for redemption, I went to the DL site and tried to book an award for next February. Here's what happened:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-skypesod.html

Anybody know anything about Greyhound's loyalty program? :-)
Old May 19, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Here's the deal. If we don't move our travel (some/most/all) and credit card dollars elsewhere, we really do validate their position. They do not think we will bust a move in any material way.

I WILL NOT give any company a single dollar of my money who treats or thinks of their customers in this manner, and then verbalize it in public. I am the CUSTOMER. I AM your LIFEBLOOD.

This is one beating too many and drew blood. You will find me at AA and DL, (aka- the UA Battered Customer Shelters).
Old May 19, 2012, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
You may be right; but, I believe that next quarter will be very telling about the success or failure of this management team. You can't keep posting $448 million dollar quarterly losses before either someone throws you out or the company goes under.
Fair enough. I certainly don't know any better than you do how the future will evolve.

Wall Street is going to give them more than another quarter or two though.

And that's all that matters...
Old May 19, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
A block ticket is issued with the purpose of getting you to point B when you're at a location where something broke, it's not given as compensation for the delay. In fact, if you ask the MTA, they'll write a nice letter to your boss it's their fault you're late but that's the extent of their generosity. Similarly, UA will rebook you or endorse you to another carrier if the plane breaks, but that's the extent of their responsibility. As for the car stereo, yes they replace it, but you're not given anything as an apology for it breaking, which is exactly what a sky kit is.
Originally Posted by desperationsearch
If you buy the hardware and it breaks, if you don't have a warranty you're out of luck.

If you buy a service and it isn't provided in its entirety, only fools accept lesser service for the same cost.

Yes, even the New York City subway is no exception. Look up what a "block ticket" is.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
Here's the deal. If we don't move our travel (some/most/all) and credit card dollars elsewhere, we really do validate their position. They do not think we will bust a move in any material way.
I don't know if we can assume this.

While you certainly have one train of thought, and it makes sense, it sort of sounds like this is the course of action they want -- by leaving, you free up a seat so they can sell it to someone else who uses less costly benefits.

What they don't want you to do is fly additional $200 transcons, check your full baggage allowance, guest 2 strangers into the club, drink lots of drinks, throw yogurt raisins in the trash by the cupful, and then redeem your miles for EasyPass awards that have only one (1) seat left for sale. Seems they're saying that hurts them more than leaving.

A block ticket is issued with the purpose of getting you to point B when you're at a location where something broke, it's not given as compensation for the delay. In fact, if you ask the MTA, they'll write a nice letter to your boss it's their fault you're late but that's the extent of their generosity. Similarly, UA will rebook you or endorse you to another carrier if the plane breaks, but that's the extent of their responsibility. As for the car stereo, yes they replace it, but you're not given anything as an apology for it breaking, which is exactly what a sky kit is.

You're comparing two radically different competitive situations.

There are many carriers who will carry you from JFK to LAX.

There's only one entity that can get you from Brooklyn to Manhattan for $2.25.

Apples and oranges require two different customer service philosophies and handling procedures.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 20, 2012 at 3:46 am Reason: merge
Old May 19, 2012, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly

I WILL NOT give any company a single dollar of my money who treats or thinks of their customers in this manner, and then verbalize it in public. I am the CUSTOMER. I AM your LIFEBLOOD.

This is one beating too many and drew blood. You will find me at AA and DL, (aka- the UA Battered Customer Shelters).
Exactly. A very deep punishment needs to be inflicted. Unfortunately so many very good PMUA folks are caught in the middle.

Channa makes a good point but eliminating as much C cabin revenue as possible is a worthy effort

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.