Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

I did not say I pay a lot! I just said i did not get it on the cheap.

Probably $.17 - $.20 / EQM, maybe a little more.
TRASH!!! Your H fare is meaningless. Time to sell your UPG for $49..
Old May 19, 2012, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by uwr
UA does fly to many destinations from SFO, but many of the flights are once per day and might be full or might not be at the ideal time. When I lived in SF and flew on UA, I connected to get to most places except for the UA hubs, Hawaii, and the West Coast.

Well put. SFO isn't exactly one of these mega hubs with tons of frequencies where UA's schedule is so great you can't think of using anyone else. Even on some the hub flights where they have great frequency (e.g., ORD, LAX, EWR/JFK), there are competitors that have reasonable frequency as well (AA for ORD, AA/DL for LAX, AA/DL for JFK).

In addition to some of the flights where UA has minimal frequency out of SFO (e.g., MCO, MSY, AUS/SAT, PHL, MSP), there are also major markets where UA has absolutely no service (e.g., ATL, MIA, DTW). And for those that do, they're often a more convenient alternative anyway (e.g., DL has a half dozen or so to MSP, whereas UA has 1; AA has 10x to DFW, UA has 4, 2 of which are on Express).
Old May 19, 2012, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by uwr
16 segments = 8 roundtrips
8 roundtrips x $1799 = $14,392

Yours is an extreme example, and a hypothetical one at that. You paid full fare for only some of those trips, not for all of them, so your spend would be considerably less than $14k.
I did not mean to imply that I spent $1,799 on all 8 round trips. I did not.

In fact, I only did it once.

On the other 7 round trips, if I recall correctly, I paid about $585.

So the total expense on the year was about $5,800.

That's much less than $14k, but still a lot of money to spend to get nowhere near elite status.

I remember, once on the CO forum, there were a number of CO Plats who revealed they had achieved that status spending less than $2,500 (using double EQM in effect that year).

Still, even at a yearly spend of only about $5,800 I'm still UaCo's ideal customer. I spend a lot of money and get very little in return for it.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
TRASH!!! Your H fare is meaningless. Time to sell your UPG for $49..
I am not a High Value Flyer...
Old May 19, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Not True

PMCO valued its flyers. The new United or better called Untied is neither PMCO or PMUA. Everyone is unhappy with what Mr Tilton and Mr Smisek have created. Only us the customer through public forums and yelp, flyer talk and trip adviser can we
Influence change. This cannot happen if we keep arguing over PMCO or PMUA. It is time to be aligned.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
All I can say is WOW!

Frequent Flyer programs are Equal Opportunity.

Anyone can buy published fares, fly, and earn the published benefits.

If a 2 times a year business traveler wants to fly F then he should buy it. A Premier Silver (give away status for business travelers) can get instant F by buying a full Y fare, if company requires Y travel. He didn't want it when he bought the ticket - they why give him a TOD - that's my beef.

Yes, elites are entitled - anyone can be an Elite, buy the published fares. UA sets the fares, the customer does not.

I will still fly UA when it makes sense, but for now I am a very happy AA EXP - with more options out of DCA. If US and AA combine then it is slam dunk - AA/US would be over 60% of DCA.

Typing away on gogo and just had a nice dinner in F in a more comfortable F seat then legacy CO F seat. Already at $4K domestic spend on AA for month of May. This would otherwise have been UA.

On AA I am over 95% upgrades. AA even has empty seats in F. On my dinner flight (now) - even AA off duty crew is sitting in F.

UA needs to make a profit - all businesses do - but they should not tick off their frequent flyers. UA could cancel Mileageplus, and then would likely go out of business.

Last edited by cova; May 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm
Old May 19, 2012, 8:21 pm
Suspended

It is nice that he admits they reduced the level of service, something that is obvious to most.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Surftel
It is nice that he admits they reduced the level of service, something that is obvious to most.
To be fair, I think he said they reduced the number of bookings / overbookings leading up to the system transition.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dkc715
"We have certain groups in this (Mileage Plus) program that were over entitled..." according to United's CFO John Rainey, as per his presentation at the BofA Transportation Conference held on May 17th. The entire webcast is available on United's investor relations website, and he makes the comment 11- 12 minutes into the presentation. Since the CFO is a PMCO guy, I imagine he is referring to PMUA fliers. Mr. Rainey also raves about Shares.

So, I guess we have the answer to all of the complaints enumerated by Premiers, 1Ks, GS, MM, etc. We were simply over entitled, not loyal!! Our new airline.

Wow! This says it all!
Old May 19, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
The loudest, most effective voice is money.

I took my business away from United and gave it to American. Each have their own problems, but as a lifetime elite on UA who will fly once every 18 months just to preserve my miles, I could care less about them. Between the horrendous way they treated customers during the system integration and the constant problems, I found that American was more than happy to take my UA status and convert it to their program. I will qualify as a PLT to EXP with them this year. Their upgrades are different, but since UA has screwed up the automatic upgrades, same diff.

When I want to fly domestically, I can afford a first class ticket and will buy one of my own volition.

I honestly don't care what UA does to congratulate itself. It has not earned my travel money (whether personal or corporate) since the merger. Rainey's idiotic statement just proves out what they really think of their most loyal customers. Funny how American has treated me wonderfully, where UA could not be bothered to even answer their own damned phones. Speaks volumes.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by pharmalady
...but as a lifetime elite on UA who will fly once every 18 months just to preserve my miles,
You don't even have to fly. A magazine subscription for a couple thousand miles is sufficient to reset your 'activity' clock and extend the expiration date.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc715
"We have certain groups in this (Mileage Plus) program that were over entitled..." according to United's CFO John Rainey, as per his presentation at the BofA Transportation Conference held on May 17th. ...
Listened to this again and not clear if this refers to all elites, or perhaps just to the Slivers (hence their loss of E+ @ booking and luggage allowance) or higher elites. While snarky comments can be made about a poorly phrased comment and the general decline of elite benefits but we may be jumping to conclusion what Rainey was trying to say.

I find the dynamic pricing comment as the scariest statement / idea in this talk.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 19, 2012 at 8:57 pm Reason: dynamic pricing comment
Old May 19, 2012, 8:48 pm

Financial suicide

Originally Posted by Brasila

COdbaUA is not into customer service period. We will see how their bottom line goes up when all those supposedly cheap ticket 1k"s move their business and COdbaUA is left with high flying and high paying kettles. Can hardly wait for Q2 results.
-
This latest comment by UA's chief financial officer will accelerate the exodus of former loyal UA customers. AA has already poached thousands of customers with their matching of status.

Mr. Rainey has reconfirmed what many of us already knew, namely, the new UA management does not value customer loyalty and they don't seem concerned that former loyal customers are leaving UA. That is a recipe for financial disaster.

I cannot help but wonder what the minority stockholders of UA feel about what the new UA management is doing to a former great airline.

When the cash accounts at UA run dry, the next stop is bankruptcy.

This all could have been avoided had the new management not been so obtuse.
-
Old May 19, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
What UA wants to emulate is SQ.
Not gonna happen.

I've now migrated to AA and DL through AS program which has a whole lot more presence in NYC market for domestic, and my occasional int'l C ticket to China and SE Asia now goes to SQ, CX, NH and OZ.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Not sure what to do. I split my hotel nights in four programs, works as well as it needs to. As far as UA goes, since about 6 weeks ago, my upgrades have been clearing regularly, most at 96 hours. I value that and my treatment during irrops the most (but haven't had to use that since the merger). However so much of my time anymore is spent in a *!@#&! sardine can, I mean RJ.

I'm not sure what to make of Rainey's statements either. Could be he was talking about lower tiers of the program. I'm wondering if everyone jumping to AA will have an effect on clearing upgrades on UA, or even upgrades on AA. Will it really make a dent in either? Not sure.

I do believe in karma though, and this Rainey saying this on the same day I receive my AA status match surely is karma.....

So to Mr Rainey and Mr Smisek, while I certainly respect your decision to make decisions that are best for your company, what is best for me is to look at you in the eye, with a smile and a far off gaze that says I've done this more than I care to do, and say....

"Buh Bye"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.