FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled". (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1347911-united-cfo-rainey-implies-certain-elites-were-over-entitled.html)

jchiguy1 Jun 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 20919764)
Depends, of course. Retention investment ought to be tied to individual customer spend and projected lifetime value. But the irony here lies with how little retention can cost. Blankets and Cokes in a cold gate area during a late-night delay. Slipping you a better seat assignment if it opens up. Executing little things right, like PDBs. On up to better irrops response (for higher value customers at least) and better GPU/RPU utility.

UA seems to believe none of these kinds of things matter. They also seem willing to trade high-value customers for low-spend, zero-loyalty ones, which is incomprehensible to me as it means lower PRASM even when load factors stay constant.

+1000. There are intangibles (rule exception for higher value customers, other things you mention) that the arrogant, one dimensional, unimaginative UA management either doesn't understand or chooses to ignore as critical to success in this very specialized business.

PV_Premier Jun 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 20919114)
Tons of competition on the route - UA is aggressively downgauging their capacity. And their LGA experience is worse than AA or DL. Probably the only route I fly where I still see empty seats.

agreed. until recently i flew out of EWR, HPN, and LGA a ton. i was never upgraded out of EWR or on HPN E170 flights. LGA was usually a slam dunk, and i am only a gold. that, my friends, is telling.

Karl-MDW Jun 14, 2013 5:31 am

Tons of competition on the route - UA is aggressively downgauging their capacity. And their LGA experience is worse than AA or DL. Probably the only route I fly where I still see empty seats.

ORD is now, once again, my main UA hub. I find that for flights with any advance purchase, DL and AA usually have lower fares.

Now, in the new normal, the only things that keep me flying UA are:
-to burn miles
-to sit in Economy Plus
-to board in the Group 2 herd - which lacking decent status (having recently put all my eggs in the UA basket) on other airlines means boarding last.
-I still have some pangs of "loyalty" and a certain familiarity even with the new CO dba UA.

But, now, in the new normal, I am more willing to agree with mitchmu:

1. Never pay a fare premium to be loyal to a specific airline again, and

2. Never choose a less desirable routing to be loyal to a specific airline again, and

3. Never fly more than I have to (or want to) for the sake of achieving status

Reality sets in. In many respects, the new normal means that the fun-filled days of playing the frequent flyer game are over. Flying is just transportation. The glory days of the 50s & 60s were replaced by deregulation. That helped bring on the world of the Frequent Flyer Program - and everything that Randy Peterson recognized made popular. The financial realities of today mean that flying is just transportation.

The new normal is becoming status based on spending - not on how many miles sitting on planes earns.

Planes are the inter city bus of today. As more and more people get used to flying low cost carriers, the majors are becoming LCCs - at least in service & amenities. Status - and sitting up front - are going to be for flyers who spend big bucks - not us "over entitled elites". Period.

DCBob Jun 16, 2013 10:39 pm

And never do a true "mileage run" - a trip with no benefits or purpose other than to achieve a higher level of FF status. That's becoming sillier and sillier every day, at least IMHO.

DELee Jun 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 20935511)
And never do a true "mileage run" - a trip with no benefits or purpose other than to achieve a higher level of FF status. That's becoming sillier and sillier every day, at least IMHO.

Ok smart person - what would you do if in late December, you observe that you're less than 2000 miles away from either 0P (Platinum) or 1K?

David

anc-ord772 Jun 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Probably the only route I fly where I still see empty seats.

I've had a rash of empty seats lately. LAX-ORD, empty middle. SFO-LAX, empty middle. DEN-LGA, empty middle and aisle! Seems flights are less full these days.

I disagree. I still find incredible value out of 10 confirmable upgrades vs 2, which means I'm hustling for my last 10-15k PQM. Although these days I flight/segment pad instead of flying straight mileage runs.

username Jun 16, 2013 11:29 pm

I guess it all comes down to how management will justify the financial performance of the comapny to the shareholders. As long as the shareholders are satisfied with the management story, the customers are secondary.

I think many of us still hope for the good old days of flying - we fly so much because we like to and we still want it to be somewhat special. Airline management nowadays is probably more about number crunching and contract management than anything else.

dsquared37 Jun 17, 2013 12:38 am

Originally Posted by fly18725 (Post 20918726)
How much should an airline spend to retain a domestic customer?

I'm at a loss to understand your constant mention of domestic customers? I'd be fairly confident to say the preponderance of domestic pax who go out of their way to fly an airline will also fly that airline internationally. Lose one and you lose the other.

I'll chime in with disagreement here. It doesn't make sense to MR from *S to Plat but there are certainly reasonable situations (and price points) where an MR would make sense.

Today I was asked what airline I often fly to/from the US, a question I get a fair bit. My response was the same as it's been for the last year: I fly UA but unless you're a savvy flier I'd recommend staying far away from them.

Why do i say this? Because UA feels it's over-entitled to kayakers. :D

Always Flyin Jun 17, 2013 1:57 am

Originally Posted by mitchmu (Post 20903645)
The entire stock market is at an all-time high. To some extent, UA has risen with the tide that has caused most stocks to rise. We need to look at UA stock performance relative both to the broader market and to it's competitors. Looking merely at the gain in UA stock price against its own price when the economy was worse doesn't tell us anything.

It also appears to be the case that they have made many decisions to increase short term profitability at the potential expense of long term value.

I think you wish to ignore the objective facts.

On August 1, 2012, UAL was trading at 18.17. Last Friday, it closed at 32.67, for a gain in the period of 79%.

Using the same dates, DAL increased 98%; LCC (US Airways) increased 56%; AAMRQ increased 892% (but, since they are in bankruptcy, you can pretty much ignore that one); and LUV (Southwest) increased 51%.

Objectively, United stock is doing very well. You may not like it, but that is the fact.

Short term profitability emphasized? Hello! That's what virtually every company out there is doing. That's how the game is played.

Originally Posted by mitchmu (Post 20904903)
Investors are seeing the increase in margins and drinking the cool-aid. What they're missing are the long term strategic implications of the short-sighted strategy to make UA more like RyanAir.

Results talk and complaints can take a walk.

I agree with you from a customer standpoint, but you're not going to find anyone telling Smisek he is screwing up when he is showing results like this. Just not going to happen no matter how much you want it to.

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd (Post 20913793)
Generally, the market value of a stock is influenced by psychological factors rather than financial income or losses of a corporation. This phenomenon likely explains why UA's stock is doing well, at the present time (and in the short run).

But that short term performance is all the market cares about.

In the long run, despite the favorable price increase of the stock, eventually the enormous recent losses will be center most and the misleading statements often made by UA management will reach investors. When the losses and the misleading statements finally connect, the market price of the stock will drop if the losses continue (and they have and they will).

It is easy to confirm (via SEC reports), that UA has experienced enormous losses since the announcement of the demotions to programs and to services.

It is also easy to confirm that UA experienced a large exodus of former customers, as evidenced by a drop in ticket sales and acknowledged, publicly, by Smisek.

The above two events are not reflected in the stock price.
Of course they are. Most of the investors are institutional investors. They are very well aware of the numbers in the SEC filings.

Smisek calls frequent news conferences and is often interviewed by various industry analysts concerning UA's performance. Smisek makes statements during those events that divert the listeners away from facts. He talks about his new shiny airplane and states that passengers that left UA will return, solely to fly on the Dreamliner. He also makes other claims but never focuses on the huge losses racked up by UA since his tenure began.

Apparently, Smisek has a charm that some people like and which stops listeners from checking facts against what he says.

One example of Smisek’s “charm” can be found in last week’s Chicago Tribune article
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4326536.story

After reading the article, I am surprised that no one challenged Smisek when he stated to the group “Mergers are tough, but we’re doing well.”
That's what CEOs are supposed to do.

Clearly, considering that UA lost more than one and one-half BILLION dollars (just since the announcement of the demotions to programs and services), Smisek's statement is false.UA is not doing well.
With the way earnings and expenses are reported, the market has apparently decided that the 1-1/2 billion is irrelevant, so it therefore is.

The rest of Smisek's speech is filled with diversionary remarks that deflect away from the poor operational and financial results of UA over the past year and one-half.

When the false statements finally collide with UA's reported losses, the chickens will eventually come home to roost at UA and the stock will decline.
-
You may be right, but as of now, the market does not agree with you. If you start to see if a big sell-off or knowledgeable people shorting the stock, then you might be right. But as we sit here right now, you are just reading tea leaves.

(BTW, I read the leaves the same way. The point I am making is that the market is reading them differently.)