Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I was going to book three round trip tickets to PDX today. I read this and decided to book Frontier instead. They were also cheaper. Keep it up United and you won't have an airline left.
I'm not defending UA's actions, but to say they won't have an airline left because you decided to fly on F9 is overstating the matter. Even if many elites follow suit.

WN has only the most basic elite program and they have been the most profitable airline in the United States for three decades.

As I wrote earlier, UA would just as soon sell those seats to a casual traveler who expects no perks in return for his/her business.
TWA Fan, I'm not trying to be disrespectful here but if you have to preface everything with "I'm not defending them but..." then even you know what you're doing.

Your attempts to understand management are insightful, but I think showing "concern" in this case is inappropriate. They insulted their customers point blank. They're out of excuses
Old May 19, 2012, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
WN has only the most basic elite program and they have been the most profitable airline in the United States for three decades.
WN has a single product. Their basic product delivers what they promise. Elite status delivers what they promise. A+ "gold's" still even get 100% bonus points where UA cut Gold to 50%.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

TWA Fan, I'm not trying to be disrespectful here but if you have to preface everything with "I'm not defending them but..." then even you know what you're doing.

Your attempts to understand management are insightful, but I think showing "concern" in this case is inappropriate. They insulted their customers point blank. They're out of excuses
The reason I'm doing this is that I went through what all of you are going through now, but years ago on CO.

I am not a CO fan, nor do I like the way they do things.

None of what I am saying is intended in any way to defend, justify, condone anything they're doing.

I know you feel insulted, so do I, and I have felt before, too.

What I'm trying to say, though, is more of a warning than anything else. This wasn't a slip of the tongue, or a misstatement of their business philosophy.

This is it.

They're a hard, cynical bunch and this is really only the beginning.

They don't care about you, and for all of you trying to make a point by skipping to another airline you are basically making their point, essentially falling in their "trap," because they want you to go away, too.

I can assure you they couldn't care less if you feel insulted. All they care about is taking as much of your money as possible.

And every time you get a free upgrade, or you don't pay for a checked bag, or you get free SDC, that's a little bit less of your money to got to take away.

They're not at all happy about that...
Old May 19, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Avis Preferred; PriorityClub Gold; nada anywhere else
It's shocking. I'm actually shocked.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Originally Posted by 15cats
I sent an email to AA with a link for the conference call and commended them for offering the status match. It's easy to complain about bad business but I felt I had to commend them on what I believe is a good business decision. I told AA that they should forward it to their marketing dept. Can you imagine what wonders a commercial would do for AA's business including that quote?? FT is small compared to the vast reach of television and all those MP members (who are more numerous that French citizens!!!!!!) (not for long) will start flocking to AA. Good for them
+1000 for doing this! Anything which will help (directly or indirectly) get the word out on COdbaUA thinking can only accelerate the eventual outcome of their actions.

And to help him prep for next quarters conference call- its not overcapacity in China that will be behind UA's disappointing revenues next quarter, it will be flyers voting with their wallets....
Old May 19, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
I agree with most of the posters in this thread - that if they don't want 1k's buying the cheap fares, don't offer them at close in times booking times.

In my case, it would be a benefit if they took away cheap fares, and I may get a higher % of Upgrades.
What markets do you fly? I just had to pay $1200 for a same-day booking EWR-BOS-EWR - 35 minutes in the air, 1:20 block time.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by desperationsearch
Someone PLEASE make up t-shirts and luggage tags that say

Ex "Overentitled" United Customer

So we can wear and display them at the airport. I'll buy 10. Let's also buy that domain name ex-overentitledUAcustomer.com and start listing our names.
It's not all United customers who are over-entitled, just its elites.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Anyone know how to post this over entitled CFO quote on the United Hub? 5000 views in 4 hours should get an honorable mention on the Company website.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
64,000,000 elites?

Why did they sign them up if they are such a burden?
Old May 19, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

Originally Posted by iquitos
Why did they sign them up if they are such a burden?
+1. Why not just eliminate the CPU system all together then? They are the ones who pushed Real United to end the e500s
Old May 19, 2012, 2:26 pm

As I wrote earlier, UA would just as soon sell those seats to a casual traveler who expects no perks in return for his/her business.
The failure in this model for an airline with a global network is that over the years, the legacy airlines have changed from a point-to-point service to a 'funnel everything through the hubs' layout. This style of flying better serves supporting international flights.

The problem isn't filling seats with another casual flyer when someone decides to fly Frontier instead of United for their DEN-PDX flight, it becomes a problem when the seats allocated to fly people from DEN-SFO to catch the SFO-NRT flight never fill up because those passengers decided to fly DEN-LAX-NRT on American instead.

Hubs such as DEN have become less important to airlines like United, because purely domestic itineraries are less important than international itineraries.

Treating international passengers—likely to become 1Ks and GS' faster, and spend more dollars—like a domestic passenger, is a fast way to send an airline to rack and ruin in this day and age. Even the much heralded Southwest is finding it difficult to make money nowadays catering to a purely domestic network.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm not defending UA's actions, but to say they won't have an airline left because you decided to fly on F9 is overstating the matter. Even if many elites follow suit.

The assumption that UA is using is: (1) that they can sell the seats that elites aren't booking and (2) they will sell those seats at the same price.

Given my recent travel experience , I believe the load factor is down and that their assumption is wrong. There is not an endless supply of demand at their prices. The perks made it easy for some elites to justify the higher prices united is charging. That is now clearly going away.

We will find out at the end of the quarter who is right.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by colonius
Some people will justify anything. If the new United should throw out E+ and upgrade benefits completely, I am sure you will be there to justify it.

The 1k that achieves his/her status solely on those $300 roundtrip transcons (if you can find them) is probably an Urban myth or, at the very least, a negligibly small minority.

I am not a really big spender, but from this day on my $10,000 to $15,000 in air-travel spending per year is going to AA. Glad I did the status match.

UA does not want my business. Fine, it is going away.
Hi Colonius: when you switch carriers, don't forget to post your adventures on the new airlines! I miss them Sorry to be OT.

Last edited by mmack; May 19, 2012 at 2:30 pm Reason: add mea culpa
Old May 19, 2012, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
The assumption that UA is using is: (1) that they can sell the seats that elites aren't booking and (2) they will sell those seats at the same price.

Given my recent travel experience , I believe the load factor is down and that their assumption is wrong. There is not an endless supply of demand at their prices. The perks made it easy for some elites to justify the higher prices united is charging. That is now clearly going away.

We will find out at the end of the quarter who is right.
Waiting to fill the empty seats is exactly what got UA in the pickle in 2007-09. Now, the smarter move is to cut capacity. With full Y selling at 9-10x the price of deep discounts, UA can well afford to lose 9 deep discounters, if it frees up just 1 seat for somebody paying close to their freight.

The new UG system does just that. Rewards the Y/B (and M for 1K) ticket buyers so long as they've got some elite status over those who've made low-spend status.

UA is moving toward a spend-based system, make no mistake about it. But, then again, you can expect that DL and US, after the AA acquisition, will do the same.

Last edited by Often1; May 19, 2012 at 2:48 pm
Old May 19, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Originally Posted by lensman
What markets do you fly? I just had to pay $1200 for a same-day booking EWR-BOS-EWR - 35 minutes in the air, 1:20 block time.

What fare bucket??? - Never said my fares were "cheap" cost wise, just cheap fare buckets.

as for routes, it varies dramatically depending on where my work sends me. Coast to coast domestically, HGK, NRT for TPAC, and LHR and FRA mostly for TATL. Home bases are CMH and MSP, but fares are to from everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.