Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

from Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Throwaway Tickets , such book RT and only use OW - any issues with UA?

Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Related threads
UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com
United asking gate agents to report hidden ticket travelers
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

Originally Posted by symphonicman
HCT is a perspective issue.
It's not even HCT specific at this point. The very first sentence of the contract states that by purchasing the ticket I verify that I agree to and understand all of the fare rules and CoC provisions. I am telling you that I do not. Forget understanding them, I haven't even read all of them. Do you really not believe me on this?

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes to both, with the caveat that I'm willing to ignore terms that have been deemed unenforceable by courts or are contrary to applicable law.
Given your philosophy, I figured that would be your one exception. Fortunately in this specific case the HCT provision only been deemed unenforceable in court by UA, not by the court itself. So I'm guessing that means you'd still be unwilling to ignore it.

Edit: At first pass I overlooked that you do actually believe one has an ethical obligation to adhere to unreasonable provisions. Interesting. So if UA tomorrow added a clause to the CoC that you must eat a plate of dog feces before you can depart the aircraft, then all passengers who bought tickets tomorrow would be ethically compelled to do so (as I'm not aware of any applicable law that prohibits the eating of dog feces, and obviously the clause would not yet have been tested in court.). Well, I'm glad I understand that now. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you sign the contract -- or take an explicit action which signifies acceptance of its contract -- then you've agreed to abide by its terms, and if you do so with the intent to breach them, then you are ethically guilty of fraud.
As I admit above, guilty as charged. Every. Single. Time. As is everyone else who buys an airline ticket in this country, other than a select few on this board.

This doesn't mean that you're legally guilty of fraud
Of course not. UA took this to court and it got thrown out. That was over three years ago, and, AFAIK, they haven't made any attempt to refile the case. That speaks volumes as to what they think their chance of prevailing would be.

I'm curious as to which parts of the CoC you would consider unreasonable? With the expectation of the ticketing provisions and denied boarding handling, there's little that's particularly controversial, IMO.
Honestly, I think the most unreasonable part of the contract is the first clause, i.e. that I agree to and understand all fare rules and the CoC. I haven't read the full CoC, but I've read fare rules before, and I never come away fully understanding them.

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I don't believe one has an ethical obligation to enter into a contract that has provisions one believes are unreasonable but I DO believe you have an ethical obligation to adhere to said provisions once one enters into said contract.
I don't adhere to the very first provision of the contract (see above). Neither does anyone else in the country, except a few on this board.

The government isn't forcing you to fly United (possibly unless you're a prisoner in transport and they haven't undertaken the contract), you can fly America, drive, hitchhike or walk.
I'm certain America[n] has the same contract. Thanks for the suggestions, but I'll just break the contract and continue flying.

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
But that's not what you have been arguing. You are arguing that you don't like them.
You may be confusing me with someone else. I think the HCT restriction is silly, but I don't dislike silly things per se. To the contrary I find it mildly amusing that UA puts it in there, and I found it even more amusing that they tried to enforce it in court. In that sense I kind of enjoy it.

Last edited by milypan; Oct 20, 2018 at 11:52 am Reason: Added content
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody here knows who UA will pursue for ticket fraud issues. But, it appears to have been set up in a fairly automated manner and does not involve UA suing or otherwise interacting with the offender. E.g., you violate your ticket conditions and UA sends you an invoice. If you do not pay up, UA either or both shuts down your MP account or reports the credit deficiency.

Will this happen if you do it once, twice, or ten times? Anybody here who claims to have insight, does not. Perhaps UA will use a dollar cutoff, perhaps an occurence cutoff and perhaps it will insert some randomness into the process. Perhaps it will look particularly hard at people flying on tickets issued by corporate TA's (where UA can simply debit the TA and leave it to the TA to collect or not from the customer).

As to the contract (COC), analogies don't work. You either agree to the COC or you don't get your ticket. You can't agree to the conditions and then change them and the idea that you can send a letter to the RA (who exists solely to accept service of complaints) and tell the RA of a future violation and somehow make the problem go away is even more ludicrous than the rest.

This will be an interesting topic to revisit in a year. More likely, most who are invoiced won't show up on FT to whine.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:55 pm

not only will nothing happen to you, UA will prorata refund the unflown segment for trivial delays or sched changes
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
As to the contract (COC), analogies don't work. You either agree to the COC or you don't get your ticket.
Not sure if you’re responding to me here or just people in general. But I do not “agree to and understand all of the fare rules and CoC.” Almost no one does. I can’t remember ever not getting my ticket due to this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:44 pm

corporations insert bs into their terms all the time - MLB tells me that I can't describe the smackdown the Dodgers are just about to deliver to the Brewers - and I will do it anyway, because whatever crap some corporation inserts into its terms does not define the bounds of morality. that's what a brain is for.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by milypan
It's not even HCT specific at this point. The very first sentence of the contract states that by purchasing the ticket I verify that I agree to and understand all of the fare rules and CoC provisions. I am telling you that I do not. Forget understanding them, I haven't even read all of them. Do you really not believe me on this?

Given your philosophy, I figured that would be your one exception. Fortunately in this specific case the HCT provision only been deemed unenforceable in court by UA, not by the court itself. So I'm guessing that means you'd still be unwilling to ignore it.

Edit: At first pass I overlooked that you do actually believe one has an ethical obligation to adhere to unreasonable provisions. Interesting. So if UA tomorrow added a clause to the CoC that you must eat a plate of dog feces before you can depart the aircraft, then all passengers who bought tickets tomorrow would be ethically compelled to do so (as I'm not aware of any applicable law that prohibits the eating of dog feces, and obviously the clause would not yet have been tested in court.). Well, I'm glad I understand that now. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

As I admit above, guilty as charged. Every. Single. Time. As is everyone else who buys an airline ticket in this country, other than a select few on this board.

Of course not. UA took this to court and it got thrown out. That was over three years ago, and, AFAIK, they haven't made any attempt to refile the case. That speaks volumes as to what they think their chance of prevailing would be.

Honestly, I think the most unreasonable part of the contract is the first clause, i.e. that I agree to and understand all fare rules and the CoC. I haven't read the full CoC, but I've read fare rules before, and I never come away fully understanding them.

I don't adhere to the very first provision of the contract (see above). Neither does anyone else in the country, except a few on this board.

I'm certain America[n] has the same contract. Thanks for the suggestions, but I'll just break the contract and continue flying.

You may be confusing me with someone else. I think the HCT restriction is silly, but I don't dislike silly things per se. To the contrary I find it mildly amusing that UA puts it in there, and I found it even more amusing that they tried to enforce it in court. In that sense I kind of enjoy it.
You are misunderstanding the legal significance of the term "verify that I agree to and understand all of the fare rules and CoC provisions", which is a representation you are making by buying the ticket. The is no legal significance to whether you actually agree and/or understand, or not, which is the entire point of including a representation in a contract. By making the representation, you are giving United the legal right to rely on the conclusion that you do agree and understand, regardless of whether you actually do, and you are foreclosing yourself from arguing later that you didn't agree or understand.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
You are misunderstanding the legal significance of the term "verify that I agree to and understand all of the fare rules and CoC provisions", which is a representation you are making by buying the ticket.
I can see how you might think that. Nevertheless, I am not.

Let me lay this out as simply as possible. Jane buys a HCT and affirms that she understands and agrees to the CoC. In reality she hasn’t even read them, let alone understood and agreed to them. UA knows this and sells her the ticket anyway. Jane terminates her journey midway and saves a few bucks. UA confiscates her miles. End of story.

In FlyerTalk fantasy land, UA then takes Jane to court for fraud — she deceived them by claiming to agree to terms she never even read. But then UA loses. So UA doesn’t take her to court. Which is why the end of story is, in fact, the end of the story.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:38 pm

Let me lay this out as simply as possible. Jane buys a HCT and affirms that she understands and agrees to the CoC. In reality she hasn’t even read them, let alone understood and agreed to them. UA knows this and sells her the ticket anyway. Jane terminates her journey midway and saves a few bucks. UA confiscates her miles. End of story.

In FlyerTalk fantasy land, UA then takes Jane to court for fraud — she deceived them by claiming to agree to terms she never even read. But then UA loses. So UA doesn’t take her to court. Which is why the end of story is, in fact, the end of the story.
mic drop
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... UA then takes Jane to court for fraud — she deceived them by claiming to agree to terms she never even read. But then UA loses. ...
Has that happened?

In the case of Skiplagged -- they were not a party to the CoC (a defect many had with the UA case) and apparently the court dropped the case for a jurisdiction issue -- nothing related to the merits of the case. So neither of those apply to a passenger.

Actually not aware of anyone posting that a passenger was taken to court.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

I like it -- but that's not quite it. In practice, UA never even notices and doesn't confiscate anything. End f story.

UA isn't going to do anything -- unless you do whatever it is something approaching the 38 times being discussed here.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:12 pm
Suspended

You haven't read the recent reporting, albeit in travel blogs, about actions UA is taking. If they are accurate (and the sample letter published at least appears to be that), UA has simply repriced the tickets in question and invoiced the passenger. The UA letter then simply states that should the passenger not pay, UA may close the passenger's MP account and refer the matter to a collection agency.

If UA does not have the intent to follow through, no sane attorney would advise it to write such a letter. And UA doesn't do anything without consulting one of its attorneys.

So, nobody gets taken to court by UA. You just lose your MP account (and thus status & miles) and face the prospect of a loused up credit rating.

Whether you bother to read the contract or not is up to you. But, until you check the box acknowledging that you accept the terms and conditions, you don't get a ticket. Once you do check the box, here in the US you've done the same thing as signing a paper copy with a pen. Same in most of the world.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Actually not aware of anyone posting that a passenger was taken to court.
Certainly not that I’m aware of, which was my point.

Originally Posted by Often1
The UA letter then simply states that should the passenger not pay, UA may close the passenger's MP account and refer the matter to a collection agency.

If UA does not have the intent to follow through, no sane attorney would advise it to write such a letter.
Yup, that was the article that reignited the discussion. According to the article, the actual letter was sent many months ago, and nothing has happened (at least wrt collections). So are UA’s attorneys insane? I’m not sure why they would be — what’s the downside of sending a letter with an arbitrary number in it and seeing if someone is stupid enough to pay them?

Whether you bother to read the contract or not is up to you. But, until you check the box acknowledging that you accept the terms and conditions, you don't get a ticket.
Let me reiterate, when I purchase a ticket from UA, I don’t believe for a second that I’ve “accepted and understood the fare rules and CoC.” UA doesn’t believe it for a second either, and we’re the only two parties that matter in the transaction.

Last edited by milypan; Oct 20, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:25 pm

any when you purchase on the phone?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Colin
any when you purchase on the phone?
Good question, but IIRC, acceptance of the COC is implied with the purchase of any ticket regardless of channel.

As to UA being able to collect on such a "balance billed" invoice, the answer is very likely "no". They could send the invoice to collections, but this is something even a basic debt collection attorney can get tossed easily. However, UA can terminate the MP account and there is nothing one can do about that, hence my warning upthread - don't poop where you sleep, especially if you care about your bedsheets.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Good question, but IIRC, acceptance of the COC is implied with the purchase of any ticket regardless of channel.

As to UA being able to collect on such a "balance billed" invoice, the answer is very likely "no". They could send the invoice to collections, but this is something even a basic debt collection attorney can get tossed easily. However, UA can terminate the MP account and there is nothing one can do about that, hence my warning upthread - don't poop where you sleep, especially if you care about your bedsheets.
This is the key. AA went through a spate of account shutdowns for misuse of miles and certs. Both are property of the carrier at AA, as well as at UA. Shutting down the account means: 1. Miles zeroed out, 2. Status gone, 3. Pending tickets paid with miles cancelled, 4. Pending upgrades paid with certs revoked.

And they're just gone. Can't even deduct the loss unless you were crazy enough to have reported the income when you earned them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.