Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

from Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Throwaway Tickets , such book RT and only use OW - any issues with UA?

Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Related threads
UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com
United asking gate agents to report hidden ticket travelers
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
... They could offload the balance to a collection agency, but if the agency threatens to make a report over this, any competent debt collection attorney can stop it. ....
At costs greater than what UA is probably attempting to collect. -- a lose-lose situation.

However, since it has never been reported for UA to do this, why are bothering with the discussion.

It is clear UA's real power is to revoke/close the MP account, the miles, the status, and possible future use of UA.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree with your analysis and it is virtually no cost for UA to make a derogatory credit report which can have an 80+ point negative impact on OP's credit score.
I'm curious as to how UA would be able to accomplish this easily/virtually no cost.

Seems like if one is willing to be blacklisted by UA, or lose all their miles/status with UA, it's the only real stick they have.

Otherwise, for someone who doesn't care/has nothing to lose with UA, they can do this with near impunity (unless UA blocks you from boarding the flight).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without your social security number, the collection agency would find it difficult to post the debt to your credit report especially if you just ignore their letters, calls and emails or refer the case directly to the debt collection attorney.
If a person used legit info when creating their MP account, Name, Address, DOB etc it wouldn't be difficult for UA to obtain their SSN using a data service.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:07 pm

If the person ever checked in online, United has verifiably correct personal information. If that person ever checked in for an international flight - United also has their passport data. And if that person has a Chase MP credit card attached to the account - Chase has their social security number, which they probably can share with their "business partners in the course of doing business".

That point about booking hidden city tix on another carrier's stock sounds like a great idea. I wonder what would happen if one skips UA flights but flies, let's say, on NH tickets. Would NH then be responsible for making a claim according to their CoC? Or can NH ask their joint venture buddy UA to use their muscle?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
United has no standing as a creditor and cannot make a derogatory report.
That's simply wrong.

There are procedures which must be followed, but UA is a creditor because it provided services for which OP did not pay in full.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:47 pm

Hi I'm on a ANA ticket with flights operated by UA. If I discard the last UA segment will UA caare since ticket is on ANA stock ? Also I plan to instead book another UA segment to get to my actual destination, am i pushing my luck
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sunil
Hi I'm on a ANA ticket with flights operated by UA. If I discard the last UA segment will UA caare since ticket is on ANA stock ? Also I plan to instead book another UA segment to get to my actual destination, am i pushing my luck
UA may still detect multiple / duplicate impossible bookings if you use your MP account on both tickets.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sunil
Just keep your MP number off the return-home flight for now, or just choose another airline for this segment. ANA is the 'offended party', not UA, so it's not up to United to come after you for an alleged violation.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's simply wrong.

There are procedures which must be followed, but UA is a creditor because it provided services for which OP did not pay in full.
UA has no standing as a creditor - it's only option is to sue for breach of contract. It provided services for which the customer paid in full, but declined to fully utilize - that is drastically different than not paying for the services provided. The only issue here is an alleged breach of contract, and with the case history supporting the rights of the consumer in hidden city and other creative ticketing ventures, it doesn't look good for UA to win in court if the OP puts up any sort of fight. The only realistic thing at risk here is their MP account and a future ban, which is something the OP will need to weigh.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Has anyone actually confronted UA on this and what was the resolution?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The practice is about as legal as breaking a lease or any other breach of contract... in other words it's not criminal but that doesn't mean you can avoid penalties for your actions.

as a landlord, I would be absolutely delighted if my tenants paid for the whole duration but vacated with a month to go , allowing me to rerent immediately.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
as a landlord, I would be absolutely delighted if my tenants paid for the whole duration but vacated with a month to go , allowing me to rerent immediately.
These analogies never work well, because airfare is neither sold nor priced like any other product on the planet.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
UA has no standing as a creditor - it's only option is to sue for breach of contract. It provided services for which the customer paid in full, but declined to fully utilize - that is drastically different than not paying for the services provided. The only issue here is an alleged breach of contract, and with the case history supporting the rights of the consumer in hidden city and other creative ticketing ventures, it doesn't look good for UA to win in court if the OP puts up any sort of fight. The only realistic thing at risk here is their MP account and a future ban, which is something the OP will need to weigh.
This.

UA doesn't have anything to gain by going to court and generating attention around the predatory, anti-competitive pricing behaviors that lead to hidden-city opportunities to begin with. Them ended up in battles with individual fliers would be red meat for the media, just like it was when the RIAA started suing grandmothers for hundreds of thousands of dollars for downloading songs off of Napster.

Attempting to mess with individuals' credit reports, even if they legally could find a way to do that, would be almost as bad. Someone would get wind of it and it would not play well from a PR perspective.

No airline explanation to justify fortress-hub pricing is going to make sense from a PR perspective. It is all about a monopoly exploiting its stranglehold over a city. Frankly, that city's local politicians (who are likely in bed with the airline in question) don't want this in the media either. If there are dots to connect, some local reporter will find them.

Airlines have two sticks to wield - one, blocking travel agents that have a history of booking hidden-city itins and two, locking FF accounts of individuals who do it a lot. Both of those are arcane enough to the average citizen that it's not really a blood-in-the-water kind of story.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
No airline explanation to justify fortress-hub pricing is going to make sense from a PR perspective.
Which is why that's not what they'd explain. Instead, they'd explain that current airline pricing allows them to give discounts on certain non-hub routes, and that without the ability to enforce their ticketing rules, they wouldn't be able to offer those discounts.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:55 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I have seen some people decide to just leave the airport and take other forms of transportation if there’s an IRROP. Would that be seen in a negative light by United and be considered as breaking the COC and potentially breaking any other flights in your PNR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.