Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Throwaway Tickets , such book RT and only use OW - any issues with UA?

Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Related threads
UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com
United asking gate agents to report hidden ticket travelers

Archive thread: Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions" {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
One way or a return ticket? At US$1800 would seem to be a mistake fare. Check all flights are really in business.
If you cancel USA Canada a possibility UA will ask for more $$$. If that is probable is another question.
If you happen to "miss" the USA Canada flight that is another issue (assuming a one way ticket).
if OP books the flight to Canada, then asks to cancel the US-Canada leg, it will be re-fared based on the flown itin. If OP 'misses' the flight, then likely nothing will come of it, unless a)vit is a return ticket, which would cancel the return legs, or b) if OP frequently does this.

This is pretty much skiplaguing, and while many will try it, including a website that helps book these kinds of itineraries, the airlines are on to this practice, and are more vigilant about flaging this type of travel. It is possible the bar is lower now, and they will come after pax who do this faster, including the possibility of being invoiced for a fare difference, and potentially having your FF account canceled (along with any status and accrued miles). As I understand it, legally, the jury is out so-to-speak.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerMad27
Hello,
Came across an India-US-Canada ticket in business class for $1800. UA 016 stock ticket. India to USA with a 5 month stop-over in the US. Ticket price goes up to $10k if I end the ticket in a US destination. It is a fully refundable Z fare ticket. What if I come to the US and then try to cancel the US-Canada leg?
UA would be within its rights to ask you to prove admissibility to Canada at any time. In practice, they probably wouldn't do so until you boarded the flight to Canada, but they could.

Personally, I wouldn't look at this as "Can I perform this maneuver which is against the Contract of Carriage and get away with it?" Rather, I would say, "holy cow, UA is willing to pay me $8000 to spend a weekend in Canada!" And then I'd book a Y return flight from YYZ/YUL/YVR/wherever and enjoy my trip.
SPN Lifer and jonisflying like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Hello,
Came across an India-US-Canada ticket in business class for $1800. UA 016 stock ticket. India to USA with a 5 month stop-over in the US. Ticket price goes up to $10k if I end the ticket in a US destination. It is a fully refundable Z fare ticket. What if I come to the US and then try to cancel the US-Canada leg?
one way
Just don't cancel anything then. Unless you do that often, nothing will likely happen. You can also book a looooong layover in the US and it will be near certain there will be significant schedule changes - my UA-Canada are horrible w/ schedule changes. Or figure out how you can use that one-way to pick up another cheap ticket ex-Canada. Canada to anywhere is usually a lot cheaper than US to anywhere.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA would be within its rights to ask you to prove admissibility to Canada at any time. In practice, they probably wouldn't do so until you boarded the flight to Canada, but they could.
My data point from earlier this week would back up to the bolded. Was on a connecting flight to an UA hub before the final flight to Canada - no passport was checked by gate agent at origin.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA would be within its rights to ask you to prove admissibility to Canada at any time. In practice, they probably wouldn't do so until you boarded the flight to Canada, but they could..
OP mentioned stopover...not sure if admissibility to Canada would need to be proven at initial departure. If this was a connection, OP would not be able to check in or board India-US flight without proof. For a stopover, not to mention one where the segment to Canada isn't for 5 months, and assuming OP is not US/Canada citizen, would they really require a valid ETA to board India-US flight (asking as I honestly have no idea).

Also, not sure if this is still the case, but I believe there used to be a rule on ex-India tickets where you could cancel and get a refund if you are not given the appropriate visa to travel to destination, though that would be murky here at best if OP had documents to travel to US but not to Canada.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
OP mentioned stopover...not sure if admissibility to Canada would need to be proven at initial departure. If this was a connection, OP would not be able to check in or board India-US flight without proof. For a stopover, not to mention one where the segment to Canada isn't for 5 months, and assuming OP is not US/Canada citizen, would they really require a valid ETA to board India-US flight (asking as I honestly have no idea).

Also, not sure if this is still the case, but I believe there used to be a rule on ex-India tickets where you could cancel and get a refund if you are not given the appropriate visa to travel to destination, though that would be murky here at best if OP had documents to travel to US but not to Canada.
5 month stopover? Nobody will ask about admission to Canada. There would be plenty of time to get the necessary paperwork. I have flown such tickets (for the purpose of getting another cheap flight ex Canada later) and never had to show anything for Canada when checking in overseas
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
5 month stopover? Nobody will ask about admission to Canada. There would be plenty of time to get the necessary paperwork. I have flown such tickets (for the purpose of getting another cheap flight ex Canada later) and never had to show anything for Canada when checking in overseas
I don't think it's likely that UA would ask. In fact, I think the only reason they would ask would be if they suspected HCT. But they'd be within their rights to do so.

Assuming OP is eligible for admission to Canada, I stand by my original statement -- take the flight as described and then fly home afterwards. I can't think of a Canadian city that UA serves that wouldn't have enough interesting things to do to fill a weekend.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Canada to anywhere is usually a lot cheaper than US to anywhere.
Except Canada-Canada. Air Canada's virtual monopoly ensures ridiculously high fares.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Or figure out how you can use that one-way to pick up another cheap ticket ex-Canada. Canada to anywhere is usually a lot cheaper than US to anywhere.
Definitely this if you can - think of it as a free positioning flight for your next Premium Fare Deal .

If it's an unrestricted Z fare (not clear, but possible) then it should be easy to reschedule the final segment too.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.