Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United, Continental pilots cleared to call a strike vote

Old May 17, 2012, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1098020.story
Old May 17, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
NEVER MIND. My mother was right. If I don't have anything nice to say....don't say anything

GREAT. something else to distract SMI/J when he needs to be concentrating on restoring our benefits
Old May 17, 2012, 7:24 pm
Suspended

when the CO spokesperson said something that will be fair to the Company and Pilots , they were really saying hey if we give them what they want there goes our Bonus $$$

yea I think the pilots were making more then enough.But heck didnt all the top execs just get tremendous bonuses. If either side really cared about the Company both wouldnt be taking anything.

I say give them all guns and let them wipe each other out
Old May 17, 2012, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
NEVER MIND. My mother was right. If I don't have anything nice to say....don't say anything
You'll notice I didn't say anything in that post. I'm getting fed up with being bashed for speaking the truth about COdbaUA so I thought I'd share the info without any commentary.

My hope is that the mess $mi$ek has created becomes so overwhelmingly large that the board wakes up and fires him and replaces him with someone much better. And, a pilot strike might help in that regard.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 17, 2012 at 7:31 pm Reason: Comments on moderation removed per FT policy
Old May 17, 2012, 7:28 pm

No need to worry about a potential strike, rumor has it that Jeff Smisek will create a program similar to the current upgrade program. Non-elite members of the frequent flyer program can bid tens-of-dollars to fly the plane instead of sitting in their low-fare coach seat.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
GREAT. something else to distract SMI/J when he needs to be concentrating on restoring our benefits
Relax. This will be an excellent move for customers.

Remember how arrogant this management team is. They will see the booking numbers, they will realize they need to do something, and they will need to blame someone in order to save face.

We need something like a labor issue for this management team to do right by customers and start turning things around.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
when the CO spokesperson said something that will be fair to the Company and Pilots , they were really saying hey if we give them what they want there goes our Bonus $$$

yea I think the pilots were making more then enough.But heck didnt all the top execs just get tremendous bonuses. If either side really cared about the Company both wouldnt be taking anything.

I say give them all guns and let them wipe each other out
No disrespect to you intended personally, but I really don't agree with what you've said.

Pilots made huge financial sacrifices and I don't think they make that much compared to the millions that the executives have been making. Meanwhile, the pilots have one of the most important jobs in the business. They keep us alive. And, as someone who survived an emergency landing and credits the pilot with handling the situation with utmost skill, that's something I'll never take for granted.

I'm squarely in support of the pilots here.

Last edited by FlyWorld; May 17, 2012 at 7:38 pm
Old May 17, 2012, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mitchmu

My hope is that the mess $mi$ek has created becomes so overwhelmingly large that the board wakes up and fires him and replaces him with someone much better. And, a pilot strike might help in that regard.
A pilot strike has nothing to do with Smisek, and is all about getting more to make up for 9/11's aftermath.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm Reason: Editing content to bring into compliance with tos
Old May 17, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Originally Posted by starflyer
No need to worry about a potential strike, rumor has it that Jeff Smisek will create a program similar to the current upgrade program. Non-elite members of the frequent flyer program can bid tens-of-dollars to fly the plane instead of sitting in their low-fare coach seat.

don't give Jeff any ideas....
Old May 17, 2012, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya

A pilot strike has nothing to do with Smisek, and is all about getting more to make up for 9/11's aftermath.

The pilot strike has everything to do with $mi$ek. Read up on it.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm Reason: Non-topical content removed
Old May 17, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by starflyer
In cases like this I am "usually" (99.999% of the time) right there on mgmnts side. But now??? I just can't say I am. Not in this case

No disrespect to you intended personally, but I really don't agree with what you've said.

Pilots made huge financial sacrifices and I don't think they make that much compared to the millions that the executives have been making. Meanwhile, the pilots have one of the most important jobs in the business. They keep us alive. And, as someone who survived an emergency landing and credits the pilot with handling the situation with utmost skill, that's something I'll never take for granted.

I'm squarely in support of the pilots here.
I can't say pilots deserve the SAME compensation as mgmnt, that's just not right (if that's what they want to earn they should have gone to business school, not flight school) but I can agree if SMI/J can get a huge bonus, the pilots deserve at least some of what they gave up back

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 18, 2012 at 1:27 am Reason: merge
Old May 17, 2012, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I support the pilots on this one. They deserve to make more because it's nto easy being a pilot. (I've seen a crashpad myself!)
Old May 17, 2012, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The pilot strike has everything to do with $mi$ek. Read up on it.
I did. I hope your source wasn't the biased article. Let's see - there was a strike in 1985 as well. That was also Smisek's, I'm sure.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
Relax. This will be an excellent move for customers.

Remember how arrogant this management team is. They will see the booking numbers, they will realize they need to do something, and they will need to blame someone in order to save face.

We need something like a labor issue for this management team to do right by customers and start turning things around.
I agree. Normally, I'm not a union supporter, and not a fan of striking, but in this case, management needs a dose of reality.

When Delta can reach a contract agreement with its pilots 7 months before the existing contract ends, it says something.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by halls120
I agree. Normally, I'm not a union supporter,
You don't say!

I agree, a strike would actually be useful here I think. Someone needs to. Either the pilots or the pax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.