Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Flight Attendants Blackmail Flight 49 BOM->EWR!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Flight Attendants Blackmail Flight 49 BOM->EWR!

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tom911
That's listed as a 15 hr 40 min flight. Add on 3 hours and it becomes 18 hrs 40 min. There has to be a cap somewhere as to how long a flight attendant duty day can last and where they waive applicable sections of the contract or additional benefits come into play for a longer duty day.

The OP said there was a 3 hour repair (18 hr 40 min duty day) followed by 2 hours negotiation (20 hr 40 min duty day). There has to be a cap somewhere where the flight attendants say "enough".
You are correct. My understanding is that there are both contractual limits on flying and there are government limits on flying. They get complicated as they are not just linear i.e. can't fly x number of hours in a row but can't fly y number of hours in a 24 hour period, z number of hours in a 120 hour period, etc. So even waiving contractual requirements won't always satisfy government requirements.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by welltravelled88
(clipped)

Airline staff get paid far too little in most countries. It's good to travel the world, have a nice lifestyle, and that's why it attracts good people and you have so many good people in the airline business. But the salary is not enough... So I don't blame them for striking especially if they do it according to the rules (which may or may not have been the case), although it's extremely annoying for passengers -- just like volcanic ash or terrorism threats are also annoying.
Well-paid or not, T-3 BOM-EWR is certainly not the time to take their list of grievances to the company. If I were sitting at the gate with OP, I would be unhappy with that cancellation, whatever the reason. OP's story seems extremely unusual ... but if its a legitimate maintenance issue that timed-out the crew, then there was nothing that could have been done.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by C5Driver
I didn't think there was any crew mixing yet. In fact, I've not heard of it. So saying they're UA people is likely not correct. Since they haven't worked a joint contract, I'm guessing they can't work together.
That's what I understand as well.
Those crews should be Continental's, right?
Old May 18, 2012, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by spiceflyer
we were stuck at the gate beyond the last security check from 10pm to 2am.
As someone who's taken that flight 3 times last year, this sounds horrible. Did they let people leave the waiting area for water and the toilet?
Old May 18, 2012, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by spiceflyer
crew did great job to fix plane... the 5 holdout flight attendants were UA people. the continental crew and pilots boarded and pleaded with them to get on the plane.

they should be terminated in my opinion.
again the ground crew, pilots, and staff all did an incredible job to get the plane operational after a long delay due to battery failure. finally at about 1am the plane was fixed the crew and pilots and marshals boarded to prep the aircraft but these 5 UA flight attendants held out in the gate hallway calling the home office demanding pay raise, extra days off, and other stuff.
You are making some pretty extraordinary claims, especially about the origin of these particular FA's. What evidence do you have that these were UA FA's? What do you actually know about the background of what was going on versus speculation based on overhearing a couple conversations?

I understand your frustration, however there has to be much much more revealed about the circumstances to the story before a) blaming this entirely on PMUA FA's and b) calling for the termination of employees.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:26 am

Gee.. imagine expecting to be paid overtime for working.... overtime.

Of course the OP's story IS a bit confusing anyway.. the initial post talked about a demand for guaranteed overtime pay.... that has apparently morphed into a demand for "a pay rise"...

If the OP hasn't got it straight how can anyone else?
Old May 18, 2012, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by pigx5
That's what I understand as well.
Those crews should be Continental's, right?
With due respect to the OP, he apparently does not know the whole picture here when it comes to crew scheduling.

United has not mixed flight crews yet so the Newark/Mumbai route is still served by Continental subsidiary crews in other words at no time was any subsidiary United folks involved.

As everyone knows the India flights (DEL/BOM) are considered ultra long-haul flights (15-16 hours) which puts a thin margin of error for flight delays as the average duty day allowed by the FAA is a complicated formula. Either the following happened...

A) Crew timed out regardless

B) The 5 FAs figured they were close to timing out and did what we call "Stalling for time" and timed out anyways so they got to enjoy another day in Mumbai.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
All five f/a should be immediately terminated and forced to pay their own way back to the US.
Originally Posted by Michael El
Their union will protect them.
I wouldn't fire them due to the hassle but I would:
- suspend their airport credentials world wide until the arrived at EWR
- force them to get back to EWR on their own dime
- deny them access to UA provided hotels and airport transfers until their creds were reinstated. They will find that without a credit card with a big limit, life in India is hard for foreign female tourist
- deny them access to a UA plane until they got to EWR
- confine them to flights between CLE and IAH for the rest of their tenure at UA.
- whenever they are paying pax, ban them from the airline for life

Pulling this stunt on a domestic flight is one thing. Pulling it at one of the most distant out stations is another.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
One of the best "tools" mgmnt has when it comes to f/a's that "should" be dismissed (but are not due to the hassle involved) is the ability to suspend there flying privileges (passes). NO FREE FLIGHTS, IF THEY COMMUTE THEY ARE SOL
Again, someone posted something that they do not know fully about. I personally know people who have had their flight benefits temporarily or permanently revoked however they are still allowed to commute through different programs provided to commuters or signing a pinkie and sitting on the jumpseat.

However it would be an appropriate disciplinary level but the Union will file a grievance anyways. (Have to board PPT-AKL so I'll comment more later).
Old May 18, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I'm sure the OP was frustrated like the other pax. BOM is NOT an airport that is at all pleasant (unless your in Jet Air F ). However, could this just be PMUA bashing here. The whole story is to confusing. If it happened like that even the unions could not save there jobs. UA crews do not fly BOM-EWR on the PMCO 777. To much does not make sense. Let's send a trusty reporter to get the "scoop".
I bet we read in tomorrows USA today "UA F/A's FORCE CANCELLATION OF FULL FLIGHT IN BOM OVER NEGOTIATIONS. F/A's CLAIM THEY DID NOT BOARD POP CHIPS FOR CREW MEALS AS PER CONTRACT"

Originally Posted by mre5765
I wouldn't fire them due to the hassle but I would:
- suspend their airport credentials world wide until the arrived at EWR
- force them to get back to EWR on their own dime
- deny them access to UA provided hotels and airport transfers until their creds were reinstated. They will find that without a credit card with a big limit, life in India is hard for foreign female tourist
- deny them access to a UA plane until they got to EWR
- confine them to flights between CLE and IAH for the rest of their tenure at UA.
- whenever they are paying pax, ban them from the airline for life

Pulling this stunt on a domestic flight is one thing. Pulling it at one of the most distant out stations is another.
One of the best "tools" mgmnt has when it comes to f/a's that "should" be dismissed (but are not due to the hassle involved) is the ability to suspend there flying privileges (passes). NO FREE FLIGHTS, IF THEY COMMUTE THEY ARE SOL

Originally Posted by usa18dca
Again, someone posted something that they do not know fully about. I personally know people who have had their flight benefits temporarily or permanently revoked however they are still allowed to commute through different programs provided to commuters or signing a pinkie and sitting on the jumpseat.

However it would be an appropriate disciplinary level but the Union will file a grievance anyways. (Have to board PPT-AKL so I'll comment more later).
I'm sorry you have to leave PPT. keep your spirits up

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 18, 2012 at 4:49 am Reason: multi-quote
Old May 18, 2012, 4:47 am

EWR-BOM-EWR is staffed by Pre-merger Continental flight attendants. Mixing of UA/CO flight crews cannot happen until a joint contract is ratified.
Old May 18, 2012, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usa18dca
With due respect to the OP, he apparently does not know the whole picture here when it comes to crew scheduling.

United has not mixed flight crews yet so the Newark/Mumbai route is still served by Continental subsidiary crews in other words at no time was any subsidiary United folks involved.

As everyone knows the India flights (DEL/BOM) are considered ultra long-haul flights (15-16 hours) which puts a thin margin of error for flight delays as the average duty day allowed by the FAA is a complicated formula. Either the following happened...

A) Crew timed out regardless

B) The 5 FAs figured they were close to timing out and did what we call "Stalling for time" and timed out anyways so they got to enjoy another day in Mumbai.
I will add what I think is most likely here:

C) The delay would have pushed their duty time over the contractual maximum. The F/As said they would waive that contractual limitation only in exchange for something (i.e., an extra day off later in the month). Otherwise they would follow the contract, choose not to work the flight which would force a cancellation, go back to the hotel, and go home the next day (maybe as deadheaders), which would be their right under the contract. UA's choice.

The other F/As could have chosen to do this too but probably just wanted to get home the day they were supposed to, and so did not push the issue.
Old May 18, 2012, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bear96
I will add what I think is most likely here:

C) The delay would have pushed their duty time over the contractual maximum. The F/As said they would waive that contractual limitation only in exchange for something (i.e., an extra day off later in the month). Otherwise they would follow the contract, choose not to work the flight which would force a cancellation, go back to the hotel, and go home the next day (maybe as deadheaders), which would be their right under the contract. UA's choice.

The other F/As could have chosen to do this too but probably just wanted to get home the day they were supposed to, and so did not push the issue.
Yep, this is what I expect happened. To a casual observer, it could look like what the OP described when coupled with the frustration of wanting the flight to take off.
Old May 18, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by IFLYUA
EWR-BOM-EWR is staffed by Pre-merger Continental flight attendants. Mixing of UA/CO flight crews cannot happen until a joint contract is ratified.
Is there not a possibility that they were actually PMUA and trying to make that very point?
Old May 18, 2012, 6:08 am

Respectfully. the OP's claims are borderline delusional. The FAs were simply breaking through time provision set in their contract. If the flight was cancelled and they were truly on the phone with Chicago bartering, that would mean the company played hardball and didn't balk. In that case, the FAs had every right to refuse the flight and no blame should be waged on them. This isn't a charity, and with the toxic mess of a culture based on double speak and repetitive sloganeering the company has been pushing on both subsidiaries, who could blame them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.