Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Flight Attendants Blackmail Flight 49 BOM->EWR!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Flight Attendants Blackmail Flight 49 BOM->EWR!

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by skylady
So would that mean doing anything it takes, up to and including flying beyond their limitations?
First of all they don't have that kind of Union contract. It's a free market. If the companies don't treat them well, they go and work for another airline because they are not limited by all this seniority list BS. If they don't treat the company well they get fired or in case of many Asian airlines their limited contract doesn't get renewed. Free market. And to the surprise of many, FAs in average make far more than in the US and their employers generally make far more profit.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: KE MC
In keeping with the vein of this thread, are you suggesting that foreign carriers would allow their crews to fly an unlimited duty day?
So would that mean doing anything it takes, up to and including flying beyond their limitations?
I don't believe unlimited duty day is the way to go. The contracts SHOULD have been written so a 3 hour delay would not have made them go over time especially at an outstation where there is no replacement staff.... Indeed, much fault lies with (previous management) CO and (current) UA management rather than with the FAs (who exercised their rights as stated in their contracts).

If a foreign carrier was in a similar situation (as CO), it would have went bankrupt. Assets divided up, staff with no jobs (ala Swissair). This would be preferable, no animosity between management and staff with the customers in between. Instead, the customers are stuck with this hopeless situation....
Old May 20, 2012, 9:21 am
Suspended

What happened to the OP?
Old May 20, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
What happened to the OP?
Well, he/she definitely didn't fly home on that flight
Old May 20, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: M&M Senator, United 1k
UA had 2 flights from MUM-EWR this Friday. I was on the regular 49. They had one just before mine to ferry all the stranded passengers (24 hours late)

I feel quite lucky - I was originally scheduled on Thursday.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LilAbner
These quotes are directly from a FA!

These FA (5 of them) were asked and nearly begged by the rest of the crew, including the captain, to get on the plane, and they refused after they couldn't get a few extra bennies! They had that right, evidently, but they screwed over the rest of their flying partners and oh yea, almost forgot, the passengers.

I'll say it again, if I were doing the scheduling for UA and any of these 5 put in a bid for a international flight in the future, I would see to it that they never needed their passports to work, ever again!

As far as getting rested for the next "Call to Duty" when they return to EWR, I'm sure that there are plenty of other FA's that can be scheduled to do this arduous & stressful union job, serving the folks that pay their salaries!

Occasionally, things beyond anyone's control happen, and if FA's decide to take it upon themselves to hold EVERYONE hostage (which is the title of this thread), for a little more cash, then they have NO sympathy from me!
+1

thats what everyone keeps forgeting it wasnt the whole crew or even the majority and skibum_nj got it Right when they said the 5 claimed fatigue as their reason , yet had Corp come up with the extra $$/beenies all of a sudden the fatigue would have gone away, give me a brake and lastly remember most likley it affecetd 3 flights not just the BOM-EWR but to wherever that 777 was going to be heading the next day and the return from that next location
Old May 20, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LilAbner
These quotes are directly from a FA!

These FA (5 of them) were asked and nearly begged by the rest of the crew, including the captain, to get on the plane, and they refused after they couldn't get management approval for appropriate compensation for their overtime work not. a few extra bennies! They had that right, evidently, but they screwed over the rest of their flying partners and oh yea, almost forgot, the passengers.
<snip>
Replacement bold text mine.

I think this makes it a little more accurate.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: M&M Senator, United 1k
From the customer's perspective, whether it is the UA management or the F/As:

cutting your nose to spite your face.....

I am at a loss to understand why the UA Management found it impossible to provide some compensation to F/As who agree to stretch AND equally at a loss to understand why F/As had to do an "OK Corral" in front of the hapless passengers..

Mutually Assured Destruction - even for the paying passengers, I guess..
Old May 20, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
How long did it take for all passengers to be reaccommodated and on their way?
Old May 20, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by drrn
As someone who has made more than 10 EWR - MUM flights over the past 18 months, I can relate to the pains the passengers must have gone through.

Irrespective of whether it is the company (UA) or the FAs who are at fault, the passenger have a right not to give a damn - as long as no safety is fundamentally compromised. The way I see it, if FAs are haggling for extra pay or a day off, it then really is not a question of safety in anyone's mind - just a pissing match between mgmt and staff. This situation reminds me of Air India, where management and staff are dueling to sink the boat in the shortest time possible.
I didn't know UA operated direct flights between Newark and Kenya - Perhaps you mean BOM?

That being said, there is a lot of conjecture here about what exactly happened. What we don't know is the perspective from the 5 FAs who held out. While we way may rush to place the blame on them, it is likely that in the past they were put in a similar position and made the choice to carry on with the flight expecting UA/CO to do the right thing and provide compensation after the fact. If that didn't happen previously, perhaps they wanted to make sure now, before they got on the flight, that they would be provided with the reasonable compensation for waiving their contract. Yes, this of course put the other crew and passengers in a crap position, but is likely their only way to get the point across to an employer who might use this delay as a reason to give them the shaft.
Old May 20, 2012, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp1264
I didn't know UA operated direct flights between Newark and Kenya - Perhaps you mean BOM?

That being said, there is a lot of conjecture here about what exactly happened. What we don't know is the perspective from the 5 FAs who held out. While we way may rush to place the blame on them, it is likely that in the past they were put in a similar position and made the choice to carry on with the flight expecting UA/CO to do the right thing and provide compensation after the fact. If that didn't happen previously, perhaps they wanted to make sure now, before they got on the flight, that they would be provided with the reasonable compensation for waiving their contract. Yes, this of course put the other crew and passengers in a crap position, but is likely their only way to get the point across to an employer who might use this delay as a reason to give them the shaft.
Highly doubt thats the case, simply since all the others wanted to work the flight. Had those 5 simply said 1 min last week we had the same situation and ended up getting Zilch after we worked and asked. Im sure the others would have backed them up and not said 'well maybe this time you will get something after the fact', everyone would have said we arent working it.

So as nice as it sounds I doubt your side was the reason
Old May 20, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by drrn
UA had 2 flights from MUM-EWR this Friday. I was on the regular 49. They had one just before mine to ferry all the stranded passengers (24 hours late)

I feel quite lucky - I was originally scheduled on Thursday.
Originally Posted by mduell
How long did it take for all passengers to be reaccommodated and on their way?
As noted earlier in the thread there were two flights from BOM 5/18.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL49

That must have been an interesting flight since it would be all the same crew.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Highly doubt thats the case, simply since all the others wanted to work the flight. Had those 5 simply said 1 min last week we had the same situation and ended up getting Zilch after we worked and asked. Im sure the others would have backed them up and not said 'well maybe this time you will get something after the fact', everyone would have said we arent working it.

So as nice as it sounds I doubt your side was the reason
So, as reasonable as it sounds, I doubt that your hypothetical scenario would have occurred.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I was looking at FT on and off during my flight back from Dubai today. One of the F/As is a friend of mine so I was showing her FT and this thread in particular. She was shocked and called over another f/a and the purser. They were laughing so hard it was embarrassing (for me cuz they know I fly UA). They said if one of them pulled that, there bags would be packed by security and when they finally got back to Dubai they would probably not even be allowed into the country (just a pink slip and one way ticket back to there home country

Keeping it in perspective, they have strict duty hours as well and are not expected to work past there legal hours, are paid better then American F/As and have a host of other benefits (free housing, tax free salary). Of course THEY HAVE NO UNION!!! but I know a lot of EK crew both cockpit and cabin and they for the most part say they are treated VERY FAIRLY by the company. I asked what would happen in a case like this (EK HAS SOME OF THE LONGEST FLIGHTS IN THE WORLD, DXB-LAX, SYD-DXB, DXB-EZE, ETC). She said if they (the crew) were unable to agree if they were legal or not to fly, like what happened here THE FINAL WORD RESTS WITH THE CAPTAIN. IF HE SAYS FLY, THEY FLY, IF HE SAYS THEY ARE ILLEGAL, THEY DON'T END OF STORY. when away from the base the Captain is in charge of HIS crew. If they go over there hours they don't have to worry about having enough rest for the next flight as they ALWAYS have 72 hours off after any flight over 13 hours.

To be fair - EK does carry more F/As per flight then UA. I don't know how many work that sCO long haul 777 from BOM but she said on a 14-15 hour 777 non stop they carry up to 21 crew so the cabins are "FULLY STAFED DURING LONG CREW RESTS" (this includes a purser AND service manager that don't serve drinks/meals)

Wow, what a concept!! Making sure the passengers are taken care of EVEN during crew rests. NONE of that 1 F/A sitting alone in the galley reading People and counting the minutes till its her turn to rest
Old May 20, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
I have experienced a similar incident a few years ago in TLV where the flight crew rest became unusable. The pilots asked for two BF seats to be cleared, the station manager insisted they accept Y seats for crew rests and before you knew it the crew timed out and the flight was delayed until the next morning.

Many of the passengers blamed the pilots; IMHO it is all about management and the corporate culture they create. Executives get paid a lot more since they have to deal with such problems.
Assuming the OP understood the situation I am willing to bet my two cents that nobody in UA management had the balls to suggest terminating FAs that tried to blackmail the company. It is either safe to fly when you are so tired, or they should have pulled an unconditional safety clause. A few dollars in the FAs pocket will not rectify an unsafe situation and asking for those dollars is blackmail. And the problem is not with the unions, it is with management that will not do their job within a given constraint.

DLP

Last edited by DLPhoenix; May 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.