Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:28 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by FTstudent
Does the GFL have any sort of dress code policy? I'll be on a leisure trip this week, so will be in shorts and a polo. Planning on using the lounge at IAD. Is this going to cause me any issue?
The only issue may be a 60-some year old hitting on you.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Does the GFL have any sort of dress code policy? I'll be on a leisure trip this week, so will be in shorts and a polo. Planning on using the lounge at IAD. Is this going to cause me any issue?
Dude, this is United. The dress code is similar to a Chuck E. Cheese.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
You no longer have to dress up for any travel occasion. Just don't look like a slob, and it's all good.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Just don't look like a slob, and it's all good.
Correct. If you look like a slob at SFO, people will assume you have IPO money and pester you ceaselessly to invest in their new start-up.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
They've finally relaxed the black-tie requirement.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Correct. If you look like a slob at SFO, people will assume you have IPO money and pester you ceaselessly to invest in their new start-up.
Good to know
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uanj
I sincerely do not believe they are trying to create trouble. I do believe, however, that SFO station schedules them there because they are near morons and hard to train. Like the time they argued they argued that I was seated in BF but on a Z fare which is not a real business class fare so I would not be allowed in.....
Then why keep these people around, only makes UA look worse then they are, or just another nail in the coffin that shows the public that UA has nothing but a bunch of idiots working for them...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Then why keep these people around, only makes UA look worse then they are, or just another nail in the coffin that shows the public that UA has nothing but a bunch of idiots working for them...
Sorry I was unclear. My point was that assigning these people to the GFL with its comparatively lower customer count is a lesser evil than assigning them elsewhere.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Sorry I was unclear. My point was that assigning these people to the GFL with its comparatively lower customer count is a lesser evil than assigning them elsewhere.
As these lower customer count people account for a HUGE profit margin, not so sure this is a wise move.

Curious to know...does anyone have knowledge of the staffing policy for lounge/IFL? Is it a separate "group" that is hired for these specific roles? Do these employees bid on the assignment as opposed to working a gate?

Just curious as to how it is setup.

Last edited by goodeats21; Aug 1, 2014 at 4:17 am Reason: added
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by goodeats21
As these lower customer count people account for a HUGE profit margin, not so sure this is a wise move.

Curious to know...does anyone have knowledge of the staffing policy for lounge/IFL? Is it a separate "group" that is hired for these specific roles? Do these employees bid on the assignment as opposed to working a gate?

Just curious as to how it is setup.
I know that some are GS agents and that some are not. Anyone else know?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I don't carry my card but even if I did I would have refused to produce it. You qualified. I would have just walked into the lounge and as she was (probably) yelling at me, I would have told her to call a supervisor.

This crap just ticks me off to no end.
Its on your UA App
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

You were clear, like I wrote, these are the not the type of employee's you want at your airline...
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Gold
Went to the GFL in IAD last night. What a let down.

I was excited since it was the first time I've ever had access. Pretty much one big room, a galley style kitchen, and that's it. Food did not look appetizing. It was 8pm, so it looks like they had already given up on it.

I was looking forward to a shower. Assumed a first class lounge would have them. I know - could have looked that up ahead of time.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:48 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
I'm sure the answer to this question is buried in here.

I'm Global Services, my wife isn't. My wife and I are flying BusinessFirst together from IAD to Germany. So I'm fairly certain that I can use the GlobalFirst Lounge. Is she allowed to come in with me? I know you can't bring in a guest but I wondered if they allowed spouses?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I know that some are GS agents and that some are not. Anyone else know?
I have only seen GS agents working at GFL, with the grey uniform and gold scarf or tie.

Originally Posted by IADDCA
I'm sure the answer to this question is buried in here.

I'm Global Services, my wife isn't. My wife and I are flying BusinessFirst together from IAD to Germany. So I'm fairly certain that I can use the GlobalFirst Lounge. Is she allowed to come in with me? I know you can't bring in a guest but I wondered if they allowed spouses?
No. But she can visit the UC next door.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: Flying Nut
Some answers to y'all's questions:

1. GS agents work the GFLs.

2. BPs will say GS across the bottom if it is the GS or if a GS sponsored the mileage ticket, a Mileage upgrade, or a GPU/RPU was used for that pax(non-GS) from a GS account. Under the passengers name will be MP Number, UA status, and Star Gold if the passenger is the actual GS member. If you don't see Star Gold next to your GS status then we have to verify in the system or may ask for card to verify.

3. Only the GS traveling in BF is allowed into the GFL. No guests allowed under current policy.

4. If two GS are traveling together but the wife used her miles to buy her husbands BF ticket, the Husbands GS number may not show on BPs so we may ask for MP number or GS card of the husband. If we don't see Star Gold on the BP after GS under your name then we have to verify that the passenger is the actual GS member.

Sorry if we take a little time doing these verifications but we do them to ensure proper admission to the GFL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.