Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
I had heard that the GFL at JFK was going to be renovated - or maybe even the entire UC. Does anyone know what dates this is happening, and if there is an alternate facility?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seacarl
I had heard that the GFL at JFK was going to be renovated - or maybe even the entire UC. Does anyone know what dates this is happening, and if there is an alternate facility?
Well the BA lounge would be the obvious one - but it's already quite full with the NH/BA/CX/IB, etc. flights, so doubtful. Would be quite the pleasant step up though!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seacarl
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Well the BA lounge would be the obvious one - but it's already quite full with the NH/BA/CX/IB, etc. flights, so doubtful. Would be quite the pleasant step up though!
At this point, Gate 7 is a step up from that UC!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
At this point, Gate 7 is a step up from that UC!
Disagree a bit - you can always get a seat, good views, 2 min walk from any gate. Sure it's a bit dated, but I'll take it over any of the EWR UCs, by comparison.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
That would be great (but doubtful)! When I was there the other week before my ANA flight was :-:^

Disagree a bit - you can always get a seat, good views, 2 min walk from any gate. Sure it's a bit dated, but I'll take it over any of the EWR UCs, by comparison.
They just need to wash the windows!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
If I have my wife and daugher on same PNR, will their BP show GS and be able to get into the GFL with me?

I have an uncoming INTL flight with them (mine is paid BIZ, they are upgraded into BF) with 7 hour layover.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by wethereyet
If I have my wife and daugher on same PNR, will their BP show GS and be able to get into the GFL with me?

I have an uncoming INTL flight with them (mine is paid BIZ, they are upgraded into BF) with 7 hour layover.
Unfortunately only the GS member will get in to the GFL when flying in business. You will all have access to the UC if flying in BusinessFirst!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Plus it's got change rooms! (OK, so it's just the old phone rooms with black covers over the doors, but even so...)
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You will (in all probability) strike out since you will be arriving from Honolulu, not an international destination (ps being an exception). It will be the same as flying from LHR to LAX via EWR. You would get GFL access in EWR, but not LAX. HNL does not have a GFL, unfortunately. Plus, you will change planes in HNL (again in all probability) to a 75x or 738 that is equipped with domestic first seats and is referred to as domestic First, not Global First.

Plus, GFL lounge might not even be open at time of your arrival. They don't keep it open for Hawaii arrivals/departures.
I had no issues getting into the GF lounge at LAX, which does open at 5 am for the Hawaii redeye arrivals. Unfortunately, they did not have shower facilities.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by amartin1979
I had no issues getting into the GF lounge at LAX, which does open at 5 am for the Hawaii redeye arrivals. Unfortunately, they did not have shower facilities.
Are you sure you're not confusing GFL w UC? $10 says you won't get in arriving from HNL.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
What is the official policy of bringing in a guest into the global first lounge when coming in FROM a TPAC flight? I flew into SFO from NRT on a 3Cabin first class 747. I was allowed access to the global first lounge, and thought I could bring in a guest. The person in the lounge said only I was allowed access to the lounge, and I didn't have the right to bring in a guest, and that only outbound TPAC passengers are allowed to bring in a guest.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Are you sure you're not confusing GFL w UC? $10 says you won't get in arriving from HNL.
I respectfully submit that amartin1979 knew where he went, he was the one asking a few posts ago if he could get in coming from Hawaii, now he's saying he did. I don't think anyone should question him.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Scott6067
Unfortunately only the GS member will get in to the GFL when flying in business. You will all have access to the UC if flying in BusinessFirst!
Well I know if I book using award miles, their boarding pass would reflect GS status on it. Not sure how it will show up with them in revenue tickets but on same PNR. If BP shows GS on the BizFirst ticket I'd think that may get them in but not sure if the GS shows up in this case.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Well I know if I book using award miles, their boarding pass would reflect GS status on it. Not sure how it will show up with them in revenue tickets but on same PNR. If BP shows GS on the BizFirst ticket I'd think that may get them in but not sure if the GS shows up in this case.
This would be problematic at IAD where they ask you to present your GS card.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
This would be problematic at IAD where they ask you to present your GS card.
This would be ORD and HKG. I'm pretty sure their BPs will have GS in them. I've never once been asked for my card using a United BP when in a United Lounge. Star Alliance yes, United's own lounge, no.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.