Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:04 pm

Hi, everyone. I will be flying in July 2015 SFO-FRA on UA. Four travelers, two in Global First, two in Economy Plus, all traveling on awards tickets (FN and YN). What will be our ability to enter the Global First lounge at SFO before the flight?

(On a side note, next leg is FRA-MUC on LH. Two in Business, two in coach, all United award tickets, I and X. Any lounge access in FRA for us?)

On the return, it's the reverse: FRA-SFO on UA, two in Global First, two in Coach, all award tickets (FN and YN). I am even more confused about lounge access in FRA on this leg. We have a 4 hour layover, so lounge access would be nice. Yet it does not even seem that UA has any lounge whatsoever at FRA, at least right now. Any options here?

Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bsd107
Hi, everyone. I will be flying in July 2015 SFO-FRA on UA. Four travelers, two in Global First, two in Economy Plus, all traveling on awards tickets (FN and YN). What will be our ability to enter the Global First lounge at SFO before the flight?

(On a side note, next leg is FRA-MUC on LH. Two in Business, two in coach, all United award tickets, I and X. Any lounge access in FRA for us?)

On the return, it's the reverse: FRA-SFO on UA, two in Global First, two in Coach, all award tickets (FN and YN). I am even more confused about lounge access in FRA on this leg. We have a 4 hour layover, so lounge access would be nice. Yet it does not even seem that UA has any lounge whatsoever at FRA, at least right now. Any options here?

Thanks!
GFL at SFO
inbound to FRA, LH Business Lounge or AC Maple Leaf Lounge
outbound from FRA, LH Senator Lounge or AC MLL

One guest each at SFO and FRA outbound, so all four can enter. Not sure whether they'll allow a guest inbound at FRA.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 19, 2014 at 2:14 pm Reason: corrected re access FRA inbound
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
GFL at SFO

One guest each at all locations, so all four can enter.
Excellent - thanks for the help.

Good to know, as the Star Alliance website says that only revenue passengers, and only intl first gets to bring guests.....
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bsd107
Excellent - thanks for the help.

Good to know, as the Star Alliance website says that only revenue passengers, and only intl first gets to bring guests.....
An award ticket is a "revenue" ticket for lounge access purposes. (It says this in the small print.)

I corrected my earlier post about access at FRA inbound, as you are correct. I was thinking of the *G access rule.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
edit: Kacee beat me to it
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: CM PP DL GM
GS Question

I am GS and i am traveling with my wife and her daughter all traveling in BF to Zrich from IAD can they come to GFL there or we have to go to the united club
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
I am GS and i am traveling with my wife and her daughter all traveling in BF to Zrich from IAD can they come to GFL there or we have to go to the united club
Only the GS member can access the GFL when not flying in F - no guests. You will have to go to the UC.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
No guests is the policy, but it never hurts to try, especially if the lounge is empty.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
GFL access with *A boarding pass

I have a F boarding pass for an Asiana flight from LAX (within 24 hours) but I am flying on United from SFO to LAX this evening with an overnight layover in LAX. Am I eligible for GFL access at SFO since it will be within 24 hours of the departure of the Asiana flight?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by amartin1979
I have a F boarding pass for an Asiana flight from LAX (within 24 hours) but I am flying on United from SFO to LAX this evening with an overnight layover in LAX. Am I eligible for GFL access at SFO since it will be within 24 hours of the departure of the Asiana flight?
No. Only at the airport where you're departing in *A F.

Enjoy the TBIT *A lounge. The J side is way better than the F side.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Enjoy the TBIT *A lounge. The J side is way better than the F side.
Is that right? Not backwards (i.e. F better than J)?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Is that right? Not backwards (i.e. F better than J)?
The F lounge is a small room with a small buffet and a very small menu of to-order items.

The J lounge is huge, with a large buffet and numerous different seating areas, including - best of all - both an indoor and outdoor terrace. It's a fantastic lounge.

There's an interior passageway between the lounges, so if you want to self serve at the bar in the F lounge and take your drink to the J lounge, you could certainly do that.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
The F lounge is a small room with a small buffet and a very small menu of to-order items.

The J lounge is huge, with a large buffet and numerous different seating areas, including - best of all - both an indoor and outdoor terrace. It's a fantastic lounge.

There's an interior passageway between the lounges, so if you want to self serve at the bar in the F lounge and take your drink to the J lounge, you could certainly do that.
Good to know! Haven't done that lounge yet...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:59 am

GFL at SFO

One guest each at SFO and FRA outbound, so all four can enter. Not sure whether they'll allow a guest inbound at FRA.
I am also *G (I assume that means "Star Alliance Gold" - does that impact my ability to bring guests on the inbound FRA portion?

Thanks!

Last edited by bsd107; Nov 21, 2014 at 11:25 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
No. Only at the airport where you're departing in *A F.
But any airport when UA F?

Ex: LHR-FRA-SFO.
LHR-FRA in "C" on LH.
FRA-SFO in F on UA. GFL access in LHR (yes!) <and Senator club in FRA>
but FRA-SFO in F on LH. GFL access in LHR (no!) <but FCL in FRA!>

Correct?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.