Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
.... I was told that while the business lounges were fungible, the individual *A carriers' F lounges were only for their passengers. I had a friend who tried to access the LH F lounge in FRA when flying UA GF and was politely but firmly rebuffed. ....
You were told wrong, in general, *A FC lounges are access even when traveling on another carrier. There are a few acceptions such as the LH FCT in FRA
International First Class Customers

Customers have access to International First Class* and/or any Star Alliance member carriers' own lounges.
Customer must present a boarding pass for travel in International First Class on a Star Alliance flight
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class
Customer must be a revenue customer
Customer is entitled to one guest

* Except: LH HON/First Class Lounges in FRA/MUC;
LX HON/First Class Lounges in ZRH/GVA;
OS HON/First Class Lounges in VIE;
TG Spa Lounge in BKK
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You were told wrong, in general, *A FC lounges are access even when traveling on another carrier.
+1 I spent my very early morning in the Sinapore Airlines First Class lounge in SIN - before getting on the UA flight to NRT....
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 I spent my very early morning in the Sinapore Airlines First Class lounge in SIN - before getting on the UA flight to NRT....
But you would not be able to go into The Private Room which is only for SQ F pax. And interestingly the entire, nice SilverKris Lounge is only for ticketed C and F pax, but is not designated a Star Gold lounge. SQ operates a downgraded lounge for Star Gold. At least LH permits Star Gold into the Senator Lounge.

I believe that SQ's Private Room, TG's First Class Lounge at BKK and LX & LH First Lounges are all restricted to their own F pax (BA does similar with its Concorde Room).
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by seacarl
But you would not be able to go into The Private Room which is only for SQ F pax. And interestingly the entire, nice SilverKris Lounge is only for ticketed C and F pax, but is not designated a Star Gold lounge. SQ operates a downgraded lounge for Star Gold. At least LH permits Star Gold into the Senator Lounge.

I believe that SQ's Private Room, TG's First Class Lounge at BKK and LX & LH First Lounges are all restricted to their own F pax (BA does similar with its Concorde Room).
This one is not correct. Thai Airways First Class lounge is available for all Star Alliance departing First Class Passengers. The Thai Airways Royal Spa (massage) is restricted just to Thai Airways Passengers though.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But you would not be able to go into The Private Room which is only for SQ F pax.
So what? The point was that any *A F pax can access the SQ F lounge, and that statement is 100% correct.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
This one is not correct. Thai Airways First Class lounge is available for all Star Alliance departing First Class Passengers. The Thai Airways Royal Spa (massage) is restricted just to Thai Airways Passengers though.
Yes indeed. Just as with the SQ F lounge, all departing *A F pax can use TG F lounges.

The only F lounges that restrict access to *A F pax are the ones listed in WineCountryUA's post above.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Are there desks/carrels/booths in SFO GFL? I will have a conference call during long layover next week, and would prefer to use GFL since I'll have access. If not, how about SQ F lounge? TIA
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Are there desks/carrels/booths in SFO GFL? I will have a conference call during long layover next week, and would prefer to use GFL since I'll have access. If not, how about SQ F lounge? TIA
I don't think there are any carrels or really private area in the SFO GFL. There is a quiet room, but that isn't really where you'd want to do a conference call.

The SQ lounge is a general lounge without a s specific F area. I believe that during the times when SQ has a flight they discourage guests who are not traveling on SQ as the lounge isn't very big.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I don't think there are any carrels or really private area in the SFO GFL. There is a quiet room, but that isn't really where you'd want to do a conference call.

The SQ lounge is a general lounge without a s specific F area. I believe that during the times when SQ has a flight they discourage guests who are not traveling on SQ as the lounge isn't very big.
Thanks. Will likely grab a chair in the corner, use headphones with mic, keep it as quiet as possible, since in GFL my surroundings are generally quieter than anywhere else.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Are there desks/carrels/booths in SFO GFL?
The area at the bottom of the stairs upon entering the lounge is almost always empty. All the good stuff is in the back, and I believe there are some desks that look like they were staffed by agents in the good old days. I expect that you would be fine there if you can deal with the those transiting in and out of the lounge which would be a nominal distraction if you went to the wall away from the stairs. I also believe there is some space upstairs that is never used except, perhaps, for cases like this.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
This one is not correct. Thai Airways First Class lounge is available for all Star Alliance departing First Class Passengers.
I can confirm that. I use it all the time.

One little quirk. When I was SQ Solitaire that granted me access to all SQ first class lounges regardless of class of service. But not other *A lounges.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

Any idea when they changed? I used to fly SQ a lot. When you go into the SQ lounge, turn left for F, right for Business class.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada

I remember some private desk area's in the first sitting room on the left. No?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by #10
The area at the bottom of the stairs upon entering the lounge is almost always empty. All the good stuff is in the back, and I believe there are some desks that look like they were staffed by agents in the good old days. I expect that you would be fine there if you can deal with the those transiting in and out of the lounge which would be a nominal distraction if you went to the wall away from the stairs. I also believe there is some space upstairs that is never used except, perhaps, for cases like this.
Originally Posted by zoegksf
I remember some private desk area's in the first sitting room on the left. No?
Thanks for these tips!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I believe the answer is gonna be mixed, but I wanna ask the experts rather than get a denial from an agent and face that humiliation!

Award ticket

YVR-ORD-GRU (biz to ORD first to GRU) I should be able to use the GFL at ORD correct?

On the way back it's GRU-IAH-YYC-YVR (first to IAH, econ to YYC ,biz to YVR) will I be able to use the GFL at IAH? Or just the regular UC?

Thanks gang!

EDIT: Wow I just assumed IAH had a GFL based on it being a main hub for UA, just noticed on the website it's not listed.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I believe the answer is gonna be mixed, but I wanna ask the experts rather than get a denial from an agent and face that humiliation!

Award ticket

YVR-ORD-GRU (biz to ORD first to GRU) I should be able to use the GFL at ORD correct?

On the way back it's GRU-IAH-YYC-YVR (first to IAH, econ to YYC ,biz to YVR) will I be able to use the GFL at IAH? Or just the regular UC?

Thanks gang!

EDIT: Wow I just assumed IAH had a GFL based on it being a main hub for UA, just noticed on the website it's not listed.
IAH is a former CO hub and pmCO had no international first class seats at the time of the merger. Same with EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.