Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thepla
If I am in GLobal First and my wife and son are in coach can I bring them into GFL?
My brother and his wife were at ORD this week, she in NH F he in NH J and they were both allowed into the lounge.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
Flying out of ORD on LH F next week. Does anyone know what time the GFL closes? LH433 doesn't depart till 10.45pm and seems like all UCs close at 10pm.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: M&M: FTL; A3: *G; Hertz: #1 Club Gold President's Circle
Hello,

I'll fly LX F from SFO to ZRH with takeoff at 07:25 pm.

I have to leave my hotel room at 11:00 am. I might move a lot in the city before my arrival at the airport and I would refresh me before the flight.

Can you tell me if the showers of the United First Class Lounge at SFO will always be accessible to 04-05pm or if they are reserved for passengers in transit after an international flight?

thank you
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
NRT Question & meaning of longhaul international flights

I'm flying from HNL to NRT in GF on United 879 in GF, connecting to United 803, NRT to Singapore in GF. Then I'm returning on United 804 Singapore to NRT in GF and then leaving on United 78 in BF (only 2 class flight) to EWR.

I'm assuming I get access to the GF Lounge on my layovers at NRT both ways, but I wonder if there will be some trouble from an overzealous agent given that I actually am not flying from Asia to mainland US in GF on any of the flights (not sure what longhaul international means in this context). Anybody have a similar experience?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by HKG1111
Having used the UA FCL in HKG for the first time, here my +/-

+ very quiet (only 5 people inside)
+ friendly staff
+ shower available without waiting time

- food selection is worse than SQ C-Class lounge
- no proper working desks

- deisgn is a bit outdated and tired
Did you aware they have a cook-to-order menus just like the next door TG F lounge ?

There are working desk toward the back of the lounge, the desks are behind the wall, not facing the lounge.

Originally Posted by seacarl
You got it right. The UA GFL at NRT is as good as ANA's lounge, especially if you are there outside UA's afternoon peak. When I flew LH F out of NRT, NH handled the checkin and the woman insisted I go to the NH lounge. I was pretty disappointed. By the way LH used a gat which UA uses in the afternoons and the UA GFL would have been equally convenient.

Now if we are comparing the UC, then NH wins. Although I imagine the UC is more pleasant outside the peak time. Never been in it outside of peak.
No it is not, while NH F lounge is no LH FCL in FRA or TG F lounge in BKK, NH F lounge still have better food and more varieties than UA IFL at NRT.

Not to mention, NH F lounge showers now have the "Le Mondor" by shiseido shower kit (previous was Thann shower kit), whereas new UA doesn't bother with "kit" anymore compare to sUA.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 27, 2014 at 1:14 pm
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
I was denied access to the HKG GFL last week. I was flying TG HKG-BKK (in C, there is no F on that route) connecting to TG BKK-LHR in F. I didn't put up a fuss (I didn't have much time anyway), but was this correct?

Not life or death -- the TG F lounge in BKK was much better -- but?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by james84
Flying out of ORD on LH F next week. Does anyone know what time the GFL closes? LH433 doesn't depart till 10.45pm and seems like all UCs close at 10pm.
It closes at 10p but they'd likely be boarding by the time you hike to LH's gate (B17 IIRC). LH usually has good champagne so when I'm flying them in F I'm always waiting for boarding to start.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by release
Hello,

I'll fly LX F from SFO to ZRH with takeoff at 07:25 pm.

I have to leave my hotel room at 11:00 am. I might move a lot in the city before my arrival at the airport and I would refresh me before the flight.

Can you tell me if the showers of the United First Class Lounge at SFO will always be accessible to 04-05pm or if they are reserved for passengers in transit after an international flight?

thank you
Yes, there are showers in the SFO GFL to use.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I was denied access to the HKG GFL last week. I was flying TG HKG-BKK (in C, there is no F on that route) connecting to TG BKK-LHR in F. I didn't put up a fuss (I didn't have much time anyway), but was this correct? ....
yes

International First Class Customers

Customers have access to International First Class1 and/or any Star Alliance member carriers' own lounges.

Customer must present a boarding pass for travel in International First Class on a Star Alliance flight
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class
Customer must be a revenue customer
Customer is entitled to one guest

1 Except: LH HON/First Class Lounges in FRA/MUC; LX HON/First Class Lounges in ZRH/GVA; OS HON/First Class Lounges in VIE; TG Spa Lounge in BKK
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was properly denied access to the HKG GFL last week. I was flying TG HKG-BKK (in C, there is no F on that route) connecting to TG BKK-LHR in F. I didn't put up a fuss (I didn't have much time anyway), but was this correct?
Fixed that for you
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Fixed that for you
Hey, wasn't disputing anything, just askin'!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hey, wasn't disputing anything, just askin'!
Sorry couldn't resist the set-up

*A F lounge access only at the airport from which you're departing in F. UA is more generous to its own GF pax.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Yes, there are showers in the SFO GFL to use.
Incorrect. There are no showers in the GFL. There are showers landside at the Arrivals Lounge, but admittance is strictly controlled and limited to arriving international F passengers where SFO is the first point of entry to the US. I believe it shuts down around 12:30 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
There are showers landside at the Arrivals Lounge, but admittance is strictly controlled and limited to arriving international F passengers where SFO is the first point of entry to the US.
That's wrong. Arrivals lounge is open to business class pax as well.

I'm pretty sure there are showers at the GFL as well, but that's just based on reading this thread (as opposed to showering in the arrivals lounge as a BF pax, which I did three weeks ago).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Incorrect. There are no showers in the GFL. There are showers landside at the Arrivals Lounge, but admittance is strictly controlled and limited to arriving international F passengers where SFO is the first point of entry to the US. I believe it shuts down around 12:30 PM.
If you don't know something or never been there, I suggest you try to find that out before you make an incorrect assumption.

I have used the UA SFO IFL showers since 10 years ago when I flew SQ F SFO-HKG ! (when it was still using a 744 !) Do you want me to post a selfie photo that I took inside the shower room when I wore the bathrobe with the UA tulip on it as a prove ?

My very last time in the SFO IFL showers was flying PS F two year ago ! And they were still handing out those Murad shower kit ! I grabbed an extra one for my collection !

The only UA IFL without the showers are LAX, JFK, and IAD !

Also, you are incorrect with admittance rules of Arrivals by United. The rules are always as long as you are arriving UA metal international 3 class F or C, doesn't matter paid or upgraded or award. (upgraded C used to be not allowed)

Back then PMUA also had a card called Ameniti (do a search on PMUA forum you will know), where with the card you could pay $50 to get in to any Arrivals, but we got the card mainly for the generous amount of miles given.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 28, 2014 at 12:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.