Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I thought that FCL access was restricted to LH/LX F passengers (basically the same access restrictions as the FCT).

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Lounge-types-and-access
your corect.....*A FIRST CLASS passengers flying out of Germany use the Senator Lounge UNLESS THEY HAVE ARRIVED OR DEPART ON ANY LH OR LX LONG HAUL (then they can use the LH/LX First class lounges or FCT in FRA

***ALSO - Important to remember since there is so much confusion with all these stupid new names for classes. UNITED FIRST class passengers use the Senator Lounge while United Business Class passengers use the Business class lounges (BusinessFIRST is business class even though a lot of people dont want ot believe that. So if your on a 2 cabin sCO flight in BusinessFIRST then you use the Business Class lounge

(And yes, before someone points it out I know the correct name is United Global First but its still first class whatever name you use
Old May 30, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
SFO - United Club / GFL
ORD - United Club / GFL (it's in the C concourse, just to the left of the large customer service desk that's at the top of the escalators)
FRA - LH First Class Lounge unless you meet the entrance requirements for the First Class Terminal and have the time to make it over there. See the Lufthansa Forum for the master thread on this topic.

Normal rules allow for one guest, provided they are departing on a * A flight.
No problem using the LH First Class Lounge if your segment from FRA is a short hop (FRA-TLS) on LH? And is it actually nicer than the Biz lounge?

On our return, it will be CDG-ORD-SFO. I've been to the small-but-functional United lounge/club at CDG... is there something different for F? And on the way back, do we have access to the ORD F lounge, even though our final flight is domestic?

Thanks-

(And yes, I really will be in Y while my 19-year-old son will be in F. I've applied for miles-based upgrades into C; domestic legs cleared immediately but not yet for TATL. I need miles, he's on a saver award)
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:28 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by b8b
Coming back from FRA-SEA-SFO on LH in F and UA in F, but we just had a 3-hour schedule change (delayed) and are going to be in SFO for almost 6 hours now for our following domestic *A flight. Is it possible to have access to an FCL at SFO as *A Gold/First Class lounge on a same-day itinerary? If so, which one(s)?
Physical access does not appear to be an issue. SFO's website states:
"Transferring from Terminal 3 to the International Terminal
Passengers on flights arriving at Terminal 3 may transfer to International Terminal Boarding Area G via a connector walkway linking the two terminals. The entrance to the connector is located post-security in Terminal 3 near Gate 75, and the exit is located post-security in International Terminal Boarding Area G near Gate G92."
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:16 am

IFL access via domestic

I've got an international flight going into SEA, then connecting domestically to SFO. I've then got an overnight layover before another domestic connection. All legs are UA F. During some of the layover in SFO, I'd like to check out the IFL -- even though my incoming/outgoing legs are both domestic, can I switch over to the international terminal and get in using my intl F pass from earlier in the day?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 5, 2012 at 4:53 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:26 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Straight international to domestic no problem. Not sure when you have an intervening domestic. I'd guess they would let you in, but maybe someone who had done this can confirm. I've done the opposite Domestic > IFL > Domestic > International with no problem.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:02 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by 5khours
Straight international to domestic no problem.
Would that apply for my situation as well, flying LH FRA-SEA then UA SEA-SFO? Isn't same-day *A First Class international in-transit allowed to use another carrier's *A F lounge?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by b8b
Would that apply for my situation as well, flying LH FRA-SEA then UA SEA-SFO? Isn't same-day *A First Class international in-transit allowed to use another carrier's *A F lounge?
Same day GF boarding pass will get you in regardless of connections.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
***ALSO - Important to remember since there is so much confusion with all these stupid new names for classes. UNITED FIRST class passengers use the Senator Lounge while United Business Class passengers use the Business class lounges (BusinessFIRST is business class even though a lot of people dont want ot believe that. So if your on a 2 cabin sCO flight in BusinessFIRST then you use the Business Class lounge

(And yes, before someone points it out I know the correct name is United Global First but its still first class whatever name you use
This is not exactly true. If you are Star Gold you can use the Senator lounge no matter what cabin you sit in. If you are not Star Gold and in Business class, you will only be allowed in the Business Class LH lounge.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by b8b
Yes.. however there is no F lounge at SEA that you'll be able to use. You can use the United Club in either terminal N or B depending on where your SEA-SFO flight will depart from.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Yes.. however there is no F lounge at SEA that you'll be able to use. You can use the United Club in either terminal N or B depending on where your SEA-SFO flight will depart from.
I think he was asking about the F lounge in SFO, not SEA...that was my question as well (a domestic F connection after an earlier Intl F ticket). I still think the rules are unclear on this case -- I'm pretty sure in this scenario, SFO IFL access is NOT allowed according to *A rules, but United's own rules regarding GlobalFirst tickets seem somewhat laxer. I dunno...I'm still going to try next month, but I'm not going to be entirely surprised if I'm not let in at SFO.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
So based upon what I'm reading on this thread, can someone kindly confirm the following:

I am flying SFO -> LAX -> NRT. The first leg is in Y, the second is revenue business, but confirmed upgrade to GF.

I assume based upon what I'm reading that I could visit the IFL in SFO prior to the flight from SFO to LAX (although doubt I would given the distance to the domestic gates and the fact that the flight leaves around 8am). I further then assume I could visit the IFL in LAX prior to the departure to NRT.

Is that the correct interpretation? Would I be able to go to the domestic RCC at SFO (presume much closer to the departure gate to LAX) if I chose, holding my later day GF BP?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Silver
Award F ticket and Lounge Access

I searched the UA forum and could not find an answer.

My in-laws are booked on a one-way award ticket in F from SMF to IAD to FCO in Oct. Will they be able to use the Global First lounge in IAD? How about an arrivals lounge in FCO?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:51 pm

Answer to part 1 (IFL in IAD) is yes. Someone else can answer about part 2.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yes, Global First pax are entitled to arrivals facility access at FCO. I believe it is a day room at the Hilton on the airport property.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by EWR764
Yes, Global First pax are entitled to arrivals facility access at FCO. I believe it is a day room at the Hilton on the airport property.
In that case, will the OP get an invitation when checking in at the airport (SMF)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.