Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General the answers is ETCs can only be used for UA flights.

Below is a suggestion
Originally Posted by zrs70
My old workaround still works:

Use the voucher to purchase a changeable UA only ticket.

Then use the new ticket and change it to the flights your really want, including the non- UA metal ones.
related thread
Questions/Answers/Rules on Electronic Travel Certificates (vouchers; ecerts)
Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bioyuki
... There now exists a credit, but when I try to apply the credit, I'm being told that it can only be applied towards a United operated flight, not a United-marketed or codeshare flight?

Is this the case? ...
yes

... This makes no sense given UA makes money on the marketed flights and have a JV with LH...
UA makes the rules and those are the rules for non-refundable fares.
Old May 12, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Long story, we book travel through HRG, and a ticket had to be refunded. There now exists a credit, but when I try to apply the credit, I'm being told that it can only be applied towards a United operated flight, not a United-marketed or codeshare flight?

Is this the case? This makes no sense given UA makes money on the marketed flights and have a JV with LH...
That is right. But there is a workaround:

1) use the credit toward a Ua only refundable fare. The routing doesn't matter. Use it for lax-las.

2) once ticketted, you can use the new ticket toward the flights you want, including codeshares.
Old May 12, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes

UA makes the rules and those are the rules for non-refundable fares.
Sigh, and yet another reason why I avoid UA and/or agencies whenever possible
Old May 23, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Hello,

I've read completely though this thread, however I want to ensure that what I believe I am understanding, is actually what's being said.

I have a $700 USD United Airlines travel voucher that was issued in November 2015 that I received for taking a voluntary bump off my flight (in Chicago).

I live in Canada and I had been planning on using it to book via United for a multi-city (Canada) trip this summer (YVR > YHZ > YYZ > YYJ). As I have found out, and as you all know - that won't happen as it all goes via Air Canada & not United.

What I am reading however is that,
1. if I book an "Unrestricted Fare" flight (doesn't matter where),
2. pay any difference between the certificate & the fare (what I found about $50 USD),
3. once the "fake" ticket is ready to go I can
4. cancel it & get a full refund of the certificate + whatever I paid in overages as if I'd paid for it completely or,
5. if I cannot get a full refund (not the end of the world), I could rebook on Air Canada, WestJet, whatever I wanted really and I would have the full amount of the original, unrestricted ticket at my disposal

Am I understanding this correctly? I ask because otherwise I'm going to have a ticket for LAX > SFO (thanks to whoever mentioned it!), that I have absolutely no use for.

I thank you for taking the time to read & answer - much appreciated
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
the pin and/or last name you have entered is incorrect

Tried to use a VDB ETC this week and was told "the pin and/or last name you have entered is incorrect." Not voided or used or anything. Double checked the PIN, copied and pasted, typed by hand, did a dance, nothing worked. Called websupport and they had a heck of a time finding it. Checked different databases, I provided the flight, PNR, ticket number, and date of issue. Finally found it after 20 minutes.

What was the problem? A typo! I never received the automated email so I had asked customer care for the PIN via email. The last digit was a C but the correct letter was a G. CSR must have typed it out by hand???

Anyways, that's my cautionary tale!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Using E-Certificates on Itin with Code Share?

Hi -

is there a way to apply an e-certificate / travel voucher to an itinerary issued on 016 ticket stock that includes code shares?

I have found flights, that include an intra-european leg on LH both ways and cannot do it on the website.

Is there a hack? Should I just keep calling UA until I find someone who can help or is this positively not possible.

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What's the T&C of the voucher say?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
What's the T&C of the voucher say?
ETC T&Cs typically say no but with a bit of effort it can be done,
Originally Posted by zrs70

Then use the new ticket and change it to the flights your really want, including the non- UA metal ones.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post

I recently had a similar issue on Delta. I had voucher that required ticketing in person (something about the nature of that particular voucher - not even able to mail it).

I had to fly LAX-SEA-YVR. I get to the airport, and they tell me I am required to have my passport in order to process the ticket. "But I'm not traveling today. I'm just purchasing the ticket."

No dice. They required the passport. (And because I have no status on DL - in their eyes I am not a seasoned traveller - and they got pretty condescending.) They told me to go home and come back.

So I asked to purchase the cheapest domestic flexible ticket they could find. The agent first though I wanted to fly just LAX-SEA, and quoted me a $899 fare. But I insisted that one way LAX-LAS would be better.

The agent said, "But you need to get to YVR. Why not buy the ticket to SEA, then buy a separate ticket?"

Rather than talk her though the process, I told her I changed my mind, and that I just need to get to LAS.

So she processed the ticket, voucher and all.

Once finished, while walking to my car, I called Delta, gave them the PNR, and asked them to apply it to LAX-SEA-YVR. No change fee. $15 additional fare. I was finished before I reached my car.

I write this as an illustration that thinking outside of the box is a necessary tool when boxed in by these rules!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
ETC email missing???

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Tried to use a VDB ETC this week and was told "the pin and/or last name you have entered is incorrect." Not voided or used or anything. Double checked the PIN, copied and pasted, typed by hand, did a dance, nothing worked. Called websupport and they had a heck of a time finding it. Checked different databases, I provided the flight, PNR, ticket number, and date of issue. Finally found it after 20 minutes.

What was the problem? A typo! I never received the automated email so I had asked customer care for the PIN via email. The last digit was a C but the correct letter was a G. CSR must have typed it out by hand???

Anyways, that's my cautionary tale!
We were on a SFO-SYD in July which was cancelled. While we were rearranging our flights received e-mails from UA with an offer of $500 etc for each of us. Accepted, and noted down the numbers. Received confirmatory email shortly thereafter.

Now, back from Australia, we cannot find the emails in any of our computers. Can United "take back" or retract an email? Do we need to contact web support? I think if we have the numbers we are OK?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
... Can United "take back" or retract an email? ...
no (especially after you have read it). (there are methods for doing this but they operate different than normal e-mails)

... Do we need to contact web support? I think if we have the numbers we are OK?
If you have the PIN codes you are fine.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
no (especially after you have read it). (there are methods for doing this but they operate different than normal e-mails)
This. Typically, an email can be retracted on if the recipients are on the same server (i.e. United IT could retract an email sent to their employees that are using a United.com email address).

If you have the PIN codes you are fine.
This. With a PIN code and correct last name, you should be fine. Typically, when I receive one, I copy the PIN code and put it into a spreadsheet I keep, and don't go back and reference the email ever.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
This. Typically, an email can be retracted on if the recipients are on the same server (i.e. United IT could retract an email sent to their employees that are using a United.com email address).

This. With a PIN code and correct last name, you should be fine. Typically, when I receive one, I copy the PIN code and put it into a spreadsheet I keep, and don't go back and reference the email ever.
What is the PIN code? We copied the ETC number off the email. Is that the PIN, or is the PIN our account number? Sorry, its been a long time since we've had an ETC issued.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:25 pm

What is the PIN code? We copied the ETC number off the email. Is that the PIN, or is the PIN our account number? Sorry, its been a long time since we've had an ETC issued.
in the email there will be
Total Value: $xxx.00 Promotion Code: 16TCVA PIN Code: 12AB34CD56 Issued Date: 8/2/2016 Expiration Date: 8/2/2017
The PIN code recently has been a 10 digit alphanumber code
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:44 pm

in the email there will be

The PIN code recently has been a 10 digit alphanumber code
Mahalo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.