Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General the answers is ETCs can only be used for UA flights.

Below is a suggestion
Originally Posted by zrs70
My old workaround still works:

Use the voucher to purchase a changeable UA only ticket.

Then use the new ticket and change it to the flights your really want, including the non- UA metal ones.
related thread
Questions/Answers/Rules on Electronic Travel Certificates (vouchers; ecerts)
Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:52 am

Electronic vouchers: Can any be used on codeshare flights?

Someone wants to sell me one. He says yes.

Called United. Rep said no electronic voucher can be used on a codeshare flight.

This is for Air Canada.

Is it permitted to sell a voucher on here in case I am stuck with it?

Last edited by Brandi Murray; Feb 28, 2013 at 2:04 am
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brandi Murray
Someone wants to sell me one. He says yes.

Called United. Rep said no electronic voucher can be used on a codeshare flight.

This is for Air Canada. ...
the T&Cs suggest "some codeshares" but the reality is closer to none.

Originally Posted by Brandi Murray
...... Is it permitted to sell a voucher on here in case I am stuck with it?
Reminder - Please Do Not Post Offers for Miles, Vouchers, Upgrades, Status in this Forum.

Unask but will offer this advice, unless you know the person offering the voucher, there are significant risk buy blindly.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Don't buy it. But despite the T&Cs, united.com often will accept vouchers for a variety of codeshares, including Amtrak, as long as there is a United flight number.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: United, Starwood
Am I blind? I have an e-cert to use from Customer Care, have gotten all the way to the payment page, but can't find a place where I'm supposed to input the code. Only choices I see are credit card or paypal.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm not sure what kind of certificate you have. Start your search again by selecting "Deals and offers-> Promotional certificates" from the top navigation menu on the site. Yu should have better luck with that approach.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by askias
Am I blind? I have an e-cert to use from Customer Care, have gotten all the way to the payment page, but can't find a place where I'm supposed to input the code. Only choices I see are credit card or paypal.
if it is a cert with a PIN, then just above the credit card selection you will see "Redeem a travel certificate." Alternatively at the beginning, use "Advance Search" where you will find "Offer Code"
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by askias
Any codeshare flights involved? Usually, IME, these options will not display if there are any codeshare flights involved, even when codeshares seem to be allowed by lack of mention in T&Cs. All ecerts/TCVs I've seen have the codeshare restriction, however, for example, travel bank funds don't, and long story short, took me a week and no fewer than about 6 phone calls to be able to use travel bank funds on an itin with an NH segment, which should be allowed.

On one occasion though, actually, which I booked the night before leaving for Asia, booked a flight on the website with US segments, and it did seem to allow me to use a TCV. Though got the dreaded delay in processing your ticket email, and by time I landed in NRT, an email saying it wouldn't ticket. Had to call from the UC in NRT in which they explained I couldn't use it on a codeshare (T&Cs specify some codeshares allowed, but which one(s), who knows), and the agent was was just going to cancel the whole thing without just allowing me to pay for the full amount on my card (why, I don't know). Eventually was allowed to do that, now will have to use it for another trip.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Any codeshare flights involved? Usually, IME, these options will not display if there are any codeshare flights involved, even when codeshares seem to be allowed by lack of mention in T&Cs. All ecerts/TCVs I've seen have the codeshare restriction, however, for example, travel bank funds don't, and long story short, took me a week and no fewer than about 6 phone calls to be able to use travel bank funds on an itin with an NH segment, which should be allowed.

On one occasion though, actually, which I booked the night before leaving for Asia, booked a flight on the website with US segments, and it did seem to allow me to use a TCV. Though got the dreaded delay in processing your ticket email, and by time I landed in NRT, an email saying it wouldn't ticket. Had to call from the UC in NRT in which they explained I couldn't use it on a codeshare (T&Cs specify some codeshares allowed, but which one(s), who knows), and the agent was was just going to cancel the whole thing without just allowing me to pay for the full amount on my card (why, I don't know). Eventually was allowed to do that, now will have to use it for another trip.
I, too, am baffled as to which codeshares work and which ones can't. Last year I had some PMUA VDB vouchers that I used in person at the United ticketing center in NY Penn Station. Had put some AC codeshare flights from LGA-YUL on hold and went to see if they'd ticket using the VDB vouchers. Agent originally said it couldn't be used, but did kindly say that it's not really up to her - if SHARES accepted it and ticketed, then cool, if not, then it wasn't valid.

She input the voucher and voila, SHARES took it and spat out ticketed confirmations.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
I've had problems booking them in the past. Once I had to use the "pay by phone" option and have web support do it. This was the second time I'd used that cert (refund from an int'l trip being used for domestic). The second time, which was the third and final time I used the cert, did the "pay by phone" again and the web support agent this time walked me through through the payment process online again and that time it worked.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Still possible to use ETCs on any codeshares?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
It has been rare if ever to be able to use on any non-UA/UX operated flights. I think you will find they failure for all non-UA/UX operated flights.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
My old workaround still works:

Use the voucher to purchase a changeable UA only ticket.

Then use the new ticket and change it to the flights your really want, including the non- UA metal ones.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
Using United Voucher for SAS Flights

Hey all, I'm trying to book a o/w LHR-AMS trip for June, and I have a United "TCVA" voucher that I want to use. I can find an SAS "partner airline" routing on the United website, but when I go to pay, the option to redeem a voucher is unavailable. The rules state:

8) Travel permitted on flights operated by United and United Express. Certain codeshare flights may be valid for redemption.
Does anyone know specifically whose codeshare flights are permitted? Is there any way to book this using the United voucher?

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by gtolj2
Hey all, I'm trying to book a o/w LHR-AMS trip for June, and I have a United "TCVA" voucher that I want to use. I can find an SAS "partner airline" routing on the United website, but when I go to pay, the option to redeem a voucher is unavailable. The rules state:

Does anyone know specifically whose codeshare flights are permitted? Is there any way to book this using the United voucher?

Thanks!
No way, it has to be UA metal to use TCVA.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
There may be a workaround, though it's multi- step:

Part 1
A) online, do an award booking for the route you want.

B) you will have the chance during the booking process to purchase for cash rather than miles. Do this.

C) when you get to the payment page, choose to pay with cash at the airport. This will create a PNR and enable you to hold the ticket

Part 2
book a second online ticket, one that is flexible, and pay with your voucher

Part 3
Call United and give them the second PNR, the one you don't want. Tell them you want to cancel it and use the value toward purchasing the first PNR.

I can't vouch this will work. It is a great workaround when the actual itinerary has at least one UA flight. But the op wants a trip with no UA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.