Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General the answers is ETCs can only be used for UA flights.

Below is a suggestion
Originally Posted by zrs70
My old workaround still works:

Use the voucher to purchase a changeable UA only ticket.

Then use the new ticket and change it to the flights your really want, including the non- UA metal ones.
related thread
Questions/Answers/Rules on Electronic Travel Certificates (vouchers; ecerts)
Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Solely operated by UA/UX. No *A.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ballerinajz
Dose this certificate work on IAH/SFO - NRT - Asia cities flight ? obviously NRT-Asia cities segment is by ANA carrier. or it only works on United or U express flights ?
While the short answer and policy is no, there is a multi-step process the may work, as noted in this thread's wiki
Buy a changeable all UA ticket to anywhere using the ETC, either as a refundable ticket or in the first 24 hours (don't cut too close), change the ticket to the desired route which can use non-UA operated flights. Note the new itinerary needs to be normally purchasable from UA.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
Keep in mind however that in case of any irrops you will have tons of issues with your codeshare ticket in case you have used an ETC
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by schlang
Keep in mind however that in case of any irrops you will have tons of issues with your codeshare ticket in case you have used an ETC
Such as ?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:45 pm

You are unable to change it.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You are unable to change it.
not in my experience. What would be the reason for that challenge?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:39 pm

the system would not allow changes to the ticket. already happened to me
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
the system would not allow changes to the ticket. already happened to me
you got a bad agent then. There is zero reason why this would be the case. In irops most rules such as routing rules, carrier restrictions etc. become a mute point. I have had plenty of ETC-paid tickets with irop re-routing on e.g. LX w/o any issues whatsoever.
oopl likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I’m looking to book a RT flight BOS-FRA-DXB on Lufthansa, but through United so I can use my e-cert. Is this allowed using an ETC or does it have to be operated by United to use the ETC.

I also want to apply GPUs. Q-space is available on the flights, so it should be eligible. Is there a way to tell if the upgrade will clear right away?

TIA
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I’m looking to book a RT flight BOS-FRA-DXB on Lufthansa, but through United so I can use my e-cert. Is this allowed using an ETC or does it have to be operated by United to use the ETC.

I also want to apply GPUs. Q-space is available on the flights, so it should be eligible. Is there a way to tell if the upgrade will clear right away?

TIA
Have no idea to look at space for GPU clearance on LH flights. However, per the terms of the ETC, those don’t work if there is any non-UA flight in the itinerary. So no ETCs can be used.

Folks have tried workarounds, such as booking on UA metal and then making changes. I’ve never tried, but Issue here would be there is no UA metal to DXB at all.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
However, per the terms of the ETC, those don’t work if there is any non-UA flight in the itinerary. So no ETCs can be used.
What I find funny about this is that all of the ETCs I've been issued were from itineraries that had non-UA flights.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
... Folks have tried workarounds, such as booking on UA metal and then making changes. I’ve never tried, but Issue here would be there is no UA metal to DXB at all.
The UA booking does not need to be to the same routing.

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
see wiki of
Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...) for details but there is not absolute certainty -- nothing like PZ

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 13, 2019 at 6:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While the short answer and policy is no, there is a multi-step process the may work, as noted in this thread's wiki
Buy a changeable all UA ticket to anywhere using the ETC, either as a refundable ticket or in the first 24 hours (don't cut too close), change the ticket to the desired route which can use non-UA operated flights. Note the new itinerary needs to be normally purchasable from UA.
Sorry that this question is repeated, I think I understand your instruction but just want to double check with my specific itinerary.
My understanding is that once I've bought a 100% refundable fare, when changing to the desired route with a non-UA operated flight, the only restriction is that that new flight has to be available/purchasable from United.com - it can be with any S* partner, for any route, and it doesn't matter who markets/operates that new flight. Correct?

I'm planning to do the following:
  • Use ETC to buy a random 100% refundable fare (say, $500)
  • Change to BOS-FCO (Lufthansa rt) or ICN-HAN (Asiana rt) (say, $700 - I'll pay the fare difference $200 in cash)
Can someone please help confirm that this will work?

Second question:
I notice that on United.com some S* partner flights are way more expensive than if booked directly with the partner airline. Example: for BOS-FCO on LH rt: the same flight that costs $581 with LH costs $2180 on United.com
Whereas for ICN-HAN on Asiana rt, it's the same price $513 via both United.com and Asiana.
Any reasons why, and are there any particular airlines / regions / routes for which the United-partner fare difference is less than others?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have academic but very little practical knowledge of flight changes and residuals, so I wanted to run the following by those with more experience...

I currently have a United ETC that I would like to use toward a trip that includes non-UA metal segments. Obviously, this is not directly possible. However, I believe I can do the following:

- Use the ETC to book an unrestricted ticket on UA metal only, and then
- Change the ticket to my preferred itinerary

My questions are basically:

- Is this true?
- How similar does the ticket I book need to be? I should be able to do same O&D and same pax, which I assume is sufficient.
- If the change results in a refund, can I get this to the credit card used to pay the balance of the original ticket (instead of ETC)?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Looks like my post got scooped into this (very helpful!) thread, but just confirmed that this works.

Booked the ticket from A-B on UA metal (just used discount fares so I wasn't looking for a many-thousands refund to my card) and within 24 hours changed to A-B routing over partner metal. Used different actual fares, so I ended up having to win a protracted argument with the rate desk about how much the new itinerary should cost.. for some reason it was pricing with a higher R fare than the lowest applicable when the computer fared the change (loose speculation.. it took the lowest fare not containing the /PYUP fare designator) but when all was done I got a refund back to the card and went on with my business as usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.