Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from MileagePlus Program Rules
7. Accrued mileage, Premier (and/or Million Miler) status levels, Premier (and/or Million Miler) benefits, Premier Qualifying Credits and certificates do not constitute property of the Member and are not transferable except as set forth herein. Accrued mileage may be transferred to another MileagePlus account through United’s Transfer Miles Program. Members must comply with the Transfer Miles Program Terms and Conditions found on united.com. In the event of the death or divorce of a Member, United may, in its sole discretion, credit all or a portion of such Member’s accrued mileage to authorized persons upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to United and payment of applicable fees.
Reports are the administrative fee is $75 / $150. There is no longer a fee.

You will need a death certificate and signed (and notarized) affidavit attesting that you are the executor of the estate. Then you contact UA MileagePlus Customer Support..

The executor can designate multiple recipients.

While not formally allowed by the rules, it is also possible if you have the account holder's login information to use that account to spend the miles directly from the account.

Print Wikipost

Miles transfer / usage upon member death

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Aviator65
Hi all,
Not sure what to do/if this is the right forum, and apologies if this comes across rather disingenuous:
My grandfather passed 6+ years ago, and my family has periodically logged in every 18 months and kept the MP account active via the shopping portals, etc. so the points didn’t expire (and now, never will).

We’re not comfortable using his account to book award tickets, but are concerned UA may take away all the miles if we reach out (as we’ve kept the miles from expiring for so many years now). We have all the docs (death certificate, etc) but never considered/realized there was an ability to transfer them to another account. What would you recommend we do?

thanks for the advice-
I would go ahead and notify United to start the formal process of transferring miles. The may asks questions or they may just process the transfer after you submit the needed documents.
Aviator65 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Please let us know the current cost of the administrative fee.

My late 25½-year-old son had about 35K miles in his account. I am trying to decide whether to transfer them to his brother or my wife, versus just redeeming them directly for one of us.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 3:37 pm

Hi all,
Not sure what to do/if this is the right forum, and apologies if this comes across rather disingenuous:
My grandfather passed 6+ years ago, and my family has periodically logged in every 18 months and kept the MP account active via the shopping portals, etc. so the points didn’t expire (and now, never will).

We’re not comfortable using his account to book award tickets, but are concerned UA may take away all the miles if we reach out (as we’ve kept the miles from expiring for so many years now). We have all the docs (death certificate, etc) but never considered/realized there was an ability to transfer them to another account. What would you recommend we do?

thanks for the advice-
I'm so sorry for your loss. We went through this process a few months ago after my Dad passed in May 2020. We had no problems transferring my dad's miles to a new account we created for my mom. I reached out to United Mileage Plus to explain our situation. They sent me a transfer form labeled "Affidavit and Release." We filled it out, had it notarized and sent it in with a copy of the death certificate. The miles were transferred in 2 days. I hope the process is as smooth for you.
SPN Lifer and Aviator65 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Hi all,

thanks for the advice-
**** I don't have any experience with this, so maybe wait for others to chime in.

But I'm going to go against the transfer advice. 6+ years ago is a long time, I dont know if UA would look at your keeping them active as going against the spirit of the program.

Roughly (remember UA follows this forum) how many miles we talking about?

I'd just book tickets as you need them, or if it's enough.... just have everyone go somewhere and celebrate grandpa's life.
Xyzzy and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Any info about the current cost of the administrative fee?
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:34 pm

After calling United and explaining my family’s situation last spring, we were emailed a link to upload the required documents. There was no fee. The miles transferred almost instantly after the documents were uploaded.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, PanAmWT and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: United, Hawaiian
Worth it economically to transfer miles?

Hello all,

My mother passed away in August. She had 13,805 miles in her United account. What I'm wondering is if its worth it to transfer her United miles into my account? United mileage transfer policy reads, "Miles transfers cost $7.50 USD per 500 miles... Plus a processing fee of $30.00 per transaction." That means that we're looking at around $237 for the whole transfer. Heck, let's just round it to $250 in case there are any other fees lurking in there that I didn't see on United's page. The question is, is it worth it? Will the transfer fee be more than the value I'd receive from those miles? Or, would it be the other way around?

Thanks for any ideas or pointers. Mom used most of her previous miles to fly first class back to Cleveland in 2019 for Thanksgiving and visit her sister. The rest would have been to slightly offset a Hawaii run but Covid put an end to those plans.

Bob
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 757Forever
Hello all,

My mother passed away in August. She had 13,805 miles in her United account. What I'm wondering is if its worth it to transfer her United miles into my account? United mileage transfer policy reads, "Miles transfers cost $7.50 USD per 500 miles... Plus a processing fee of $30.00 per transaction." That means that we're looking at around $237 for the whole transfer. Heck, let's just round it to $250 in case there are any other fees lurking in there that I didn't see on United's page. The question is, is it worth it? Will the transfer fee be more than the value I'd receive from those miles? Or, would it be the other way around?

Thanks for any ideas or pointers. Mom used most of her previous miles to fly first class back to Cleveland in 2019 for Thanksgiving and visit her sister. The rest would have been to slightly offset a Hawaii run but Covid put an end to those plans.

Bob
Sorry for your loss. Hope your mother had a peaceful passing.

For those figures, I think there's no way it's worth doing. I struggle to better 1.2cpm in mileage redemptions currently. Historically, international partner first / business has been the best value, but who knows when that will be easily accessible again, and 14k miles doesn't make much dent for those redemptions. There's definitely no worth in paying to transfer them if you don't have a redemption ready soon.

You may find helpful ideas in this thread:
Miles transfer / usage upon member death
(edit add: recent reports are of fees being waived)
Old Feb 28, 2021, 3:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 757Forever
Worth it economically to transfer miles?

My mother passed away in August. She had 13,805 miles in her United account. What I'm wondering is if its worth it to transfer her United miles into my account? ...
Condolences on your loss

Answering your question, almost never is it worth it to transfer miles. In this case, you can buy the same amount of miles for about the same price.

HOWEVER, as been pointed out, UA will transfer the miles for free in the case of death of a close relative.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 28, 2021 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

This is an interesting way to help others dealing with difficulty that might be of interest for some.
How Unused Airline Miles Can Reunite Family With Terminally Ill Loved Ones
Crowe created Give A Mile, a nonprofit organization that connects travelers with hefty frequent flier balances with family members living far from loved ones with terminal illnesses. His organization partners with airlines to accept donated miles from travelers and provide them to families in need so they can travel and see each other.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2021 at 2:53 pm Reason: Added snippet as requred fy FT rule for external links
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our younger son died in January 2020.

On Sunday, 28 February 2021 my wife had a chat with UA via the app, notifying them of his death.

Within four hours they e-mailed her with a copy of the one-page fill-in-the-blank affidavit (plus signature page). The form needs the decedent's name, MileagePlus number, and amount of mileage in the account.

Also the names of one or two recipients, MileagePlus number(s), and amount to be sent to each account. (More than two requires a separate paper.)

The form is slightly confusing, and could be read to ask for the current balance of a recipient.

The form must be signed by executor, administrator, or "other authorized representative" — which covered my wife and me, since he had no substantial assets or probate — under penalty of perjury, in the presence of a notary.

We filled it out on Monday, 1 March 2021, had it notarized at Navy Federal Credit Union on Tuesday, and scanned it to a PDF file. We appended the death certificate, and compressed the file so it would be less than 1 MB.

At 7:30 p.m. we uploaded the PDF to the UA website, linked in the UA e-mail my wife received.

http://www.united.com/ContactMP

At 12:30 today, my wife received an e-mail that the miles had been deposited in my account, which they were.

There was no fee charged. (DL could learn from UA's compassion, as they do not transfer miles on death, so we will keep that account going until needed.)
Xyzzy, Flying Machine and Repooc17 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Our younger son died in January 2020.

On Sunday, 28 February 2021 my wife had a chat with UA via the app, notifying them of his death.

Within four hours they e-mailed her with a copy of the one-page fill-in-the-blank affidavit (plus signature page). The form needs the decedent's name, MileagePlus number, and amount of mileage in the account.

Also the names of one or two recipients, MileagePlus number(s), and amount to be sent to each account. (More than two requires a separate paper.)

The form is slightly confusing, and could be read to ask for the current balance of a recipient.

The form must be signed by executor, administrator, or "other authorized representative" — which covered my wife and me, since he had no substantial assets or probate — under penalty of perjury, in the presence of a notary.

We filled it out on Monday, 1 March 2021, had it notarized at Navy Federal Credit Union on Tuesday, and scanned it to a PDF file. We appended the death certificate, and compressed the file so it would be less than 1 MB.

At 7:30 p.m. we uploaded the PDF to the UA website, linked in the UA e-mail my wife received.

http://www.united.com/ContactMP

At 12:30 today, my wife received an e-mail that the miles had been deposited in my account, which they were.

There was no fee charged. (DL could learn from UA's compassion, as they do not transfer miles on death, so we will keep that account going until needed.)
I am sorry for your loss. I am glad UA did not add stress in the transfer of your son's miles.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:06 pm

Inheriting spouse's miles?

My husband recently passed away. He has about 1.7 million miles in his account that I would like to transfer to mine. From what I have googled, there is a form to be submitted along with a copy of the death certificate, plus a $75 fee. But apparently some agents will send the form, and others will say no. I was just wondering if anyone here has been through this, and if you had any luck. For now I can access his account and book flights for myself as I always have, but I worry his account will get shut down eventually.

Thanks for any help,
Virginia

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 31, 2021 at 10:17 pm Reason: Moved to subject thread
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Condolences on your lost.

The MP rules specifically call for a transfer on death and some have reported no fee

I would be surprised if you get pushback
In the event of the death or divorce of a Member, United may, in its sole discretion, credit all or a portion of such Member’s accrued mileage to authorized persons upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to United and payment of applicable fees.
Many in this thread have been successful and if an agent appears uncooperative, just say thankyou and call back to get a different agent.

Note -- your present approach, just continuing to access the account, has been used by others.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Airline_Brat
My husband recently passed away. He has about 1.7 million miles in his account that I would like to transfer to mine. From what I have googled, there is a form to be submitted along with a copy of the death certificate, plus a $75 fee. But apparently some agents will send the form, and others will say no. I was just wondering if anyone here has been through this, and if you had any luck. For now I can access his account and book flights for myself as I always have, but I worry his account will get shut down eventually.

Thanks for any help,
Virginia
Airline_Brat : Condolences at your loss. Take a look at this thread that your post is now home to and let us know if you have any additional questions.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.