Republic Airlines to Operate 32 Q400's for UA

Old May 14, 12, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Republic Airlines to Operate 32 Q400's for UA

Just what we needed...more of these super-safe prop planes...guess it's another change that I'll like...I'm betting the 4 additional that Republic has are the ones that were operating into ASE over the last few years as Lynx Air for F9. I SO HOPE that UA does not use these planes to fly into ASE. I probably don't have to worry. SMI/J will probably use them for hub-hub flights

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rep...ess-2012-05-14
Old May 14, 12, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
"The tentative agreement includes 28 aircraft currently in operation at Colgan Air and four aircraft currently operated by Republic in its brand division. "

It's not a material increase.
Old May 14, 12, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt World of Confusion, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by channa View Post
"The tentative agreement includes 28 aircraft currently in operation at Colgan Air and four aircraft currently operated by Republic in its brand division. "

It's not a material increase.
ANYTHING is better than Colgan's props. Really!
Old May 14, 12, 7:03 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

That should put a lid on the nay-sayers who claimed that everything will go FUBAR and avoid the Colgan flights at all costs, UA will not be able to find a new carrier fast enough to take over Colgan flights, etc.

Republic is a great regional with a pretty good track record, so UA made the right choice

Now, let's get back to refitting the Q400s with E+ and F
Old May 14, 12, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Colgan was rated as one of the 4 least safe airlines in the US, in fact many companies would not allow its employees to fly them (or any of the other 3). It looks like another of those (Great Lakes) will now be a non *A partner of UA as well
Old May 14, 12, 7:22 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Lets see how the transition goes first. Remember Republic is suing its pilots union over a website because it cant attract new pilots and we have been losing roughly 20ish a month without replacement. Also the pilots and the company can't come to an agreement on a contract and a strike is looming. So we will see how this plays out. It maybe a good starting point but hiring that many new pilots is gonna be hard to do.
Old May 14, 12, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cwe84 View Post
Lets see how the transition goes first. Remember Republic is suing its pilots union over a website because it cant attract new pilots and we have been losing roughly 20ish a month without replacement. Also the pilots and the company can't come to an agreement on a contract and a strike is looming. So we will see how this plays out. It maybe a good starting point but hiring that many new pilots is gonna be hard to do.
As I imagine Pinnacle will not have a need for Q400 pilots any more, it would seem they could hire a lot of the ex-Colgan pilots.
Old May 14, 12, 7:48 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by Bulldog83 View Post
As I imagine Pinnacle will not have a need for Q400 pilots any more, it would seem they could hire a lot of the ex-Colgan pilots.
I think its very ambitious to think we will be able to start transition in August. Pinnacle may not have a need for any of their q400 pilots however they will be laying off in seniority order not craft order so the last in first out will happen. We wont see very many of their higher time or older pilots. Both things required under the new "Pilot" guidelines (1500, ATP and over 23). Colgan was preparing to release a large number of pilots because of the new rules.

In my honest opinion until our contract issues are settled and the strike is put to rest we wont have the staff to cover these flights. We dont have the pilots to cover our jet flights we have now....
Old May 14, 12, 8:30 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
In the event of such an emergency, the flight attendant will simply make an announcement before take off...any pilots on board? Failing that, for a $60 co-pay, a general MP member can upgrade to the cock pit. This provides UA with some extra revenue and saves the cost of paying a pilot to fly the plane.
Old May 14, 12, 8:35 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy View Post
Just what we needed...more of these super-safe prop planes
Oh please. There's nothing inherently unsafe about props, unless you back into a spinning one. Fan inside the housing of a UA "jet" engine = prop outside the housing of a UA Express turboprop engine in terms of how it's driven and how it drives the plane. Q400s are way more comfortable than CR-anythings, even though both from Bombardier, and can't even compare to the awful CR2s still around, never mind the EMB120 Brasilias UA EX used in places like the PNW.

Colgan had a training, pilot rest, pilot certification issue. A tragic one, with Continental Colors on it as it killed 49 souls. But Colgan is dead, gone, and fired.

Alaska Air Group's Horizon Air subsidiary (now flying branded as Alaska Horizon), Frontier's Lynx (now shut down by Frontier owner-for-now Republic), Air Canada Jazz, and dozens of other Q400 operators have no problem with these planes. Yes, landing gear, SAS, years ago, SAS decided to ground them the way Mayor Koch grounded all the Grumman Buses. But nobody else has.

I'll take a nice roomy-for-regional Q400 flown by a competent carrier anyday on an up-to-500-mile hop, certainly on a 100-250, compared to an ancient beat up 737-500 or 737-300, any CR2, any Continental JungleJet/AAmerican RJ EMB145/135, or any ATR. Would I prefer a nice shiny roomy clean glowy-LED-lit Embraer E-Jet E170/175/190 - hell yeah. I'd also prefer a 777, or an A346 with the nice Lufty downstairs bathroom suites and lounge. But those aren't mission-appropriate.
Old May 14, 12, 8:40 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
EMIRATES IS SCOOPING UP THESE PILOTS FROM SMALL REGIONALS, RE TRAINING THEM VERY WELL. THEN WITH A NICE PAY BUMP, TAX FREE LIVING, FREE HOUSING, ETC IT'S A FAST ROUTE TO THE RIGHT HAND SEAT ON A 77W (which would take them YEARS ZTO ACHIEVE IN THE US). Of course they can't have a Union and for some, that's a deal breaker. They would rather work 18 hour days for half the pay AND have a Union THEN go to a company w good pay, a nice work and living environment and less hours BUT NO UNION. GO FIGURE?

I don't allow my employees to fly ANY regional prop aircraft. Uh uh. It's not the aircraft as much as I don't know who's flying it
Old May 14, 12, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
EMIRATES IS SCOOPING UP THESE PILOTS FROM SMALL REGIONALS, RE TRAINING THEM VERY WELL. THEN WITH A NICE PAY BUMP, TAX FREE LIVING, FREE HOUSING, ETC IT'S A FAST ROUTE TO THE RIGHT HAND SEAT ON A 77W (which would take them YEARS ZTO ACHIEVE IN THE US). Of course they can't have a Union and for some, that's a deal breaker. They would rather work 18 hour days for half the pay AND have a Union THEN go to a company w good pay, a nice work and living environment and less hours BUT NO UNION. GO FIGURE?
Its not just about the Union. Its about lifestyle, family, FREEDOM.... Not everyone wants to give up certain things to go fly a big plane for not really that much more money... Its not always about money... Not to mention having someone dictate your life to you... Dictate your spouses life to them.... Its hardest on the wives and children of the pilots.... No one really asks what they think... The housing isnt free and according to steps being taken by the US government that salary may no longer be tax free. Also there are the work rules like in the US... Actually there really arent that many since the people who make the rules own the airline...Its not a fast route to the "Left seat" it may very well be the right seat for life...

I don't allow my employees to fly ANY regional prop aircraft. Uh uh. It's not the aircraft as much as I don't know who's flying it
Thats sad... Do you know that Piedmont Airlines a wholly owned division of US Airways has pilots that have over 20 years with the company? Colgan has (had) pilots that were former airforce, former legacy, former foreign carrier pilots for whatever couldnt get a job anywhere else so they joined what they could get to requalify. Sad that you make such a blanket statement...

Last edited by cwe84; May 14, 12 at 8:58 pm
Old May 14, 12, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Whether the aircraft type is pure-jet or jet-prop is meaningless as to the qualifications of the flight crew. Carriers with sterling reputations like SkyWest, Air Dolomiti and Horizon operate props... is there any data to prove they inherently less safe or that their professional pilots are any less capable?

3407 was a horrific disaster which could have been averted had the PIC responded to the stall in the manner he was trained. As more facts from AF447 come to light, there are similarities between it and the Colgan crash, at least from human factors and training standpoints. AF447 may also implicate the design of the aircraft, something that has not been a major issue in the Buffalo crash. Yet the same derision for Air France and the A330 is simply nonexistent.

For that reason, it is wrong to extrapolate a single accident (by its very nature, a freak, tremendously unusual occurrence) to reach a generalized conclusion applicable to an entire industry. You may certainly choose not to fly on turboprops as a matter of preference, but there is no reasonable factual basis for the opinion that they are unsafe or that their crews are generally unqualified.
Old May 15, 12, 5:19 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Your employees won't be flying it anyhow; that's the pilot's job. Besides, who has the time/money to go around meeting/having dinner with/dating all of the pilots that might potentially be flying them around?
Old May 15, 12, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1P (1k ain't what it used to be)
Republic owns Frontier...

Not sure why UA would give business to one of its largest DEN competitors.

Search this Thread