Earning RPU on United

Old May 13, 2012, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Earning RPU on United

This is what it says on UA site:

"Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades when they reach 75,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 90 Premier qualifying segments (PQS), plus two more for each 25,000 PQM or 30 PQS earned thereafter."

If you're 1K in 2011 and on-track towards 1K in 2012, does that mean you get no RPUs from 0-75K miles in 2012 then you get 2 RPUs for each additional 25K PQM after that? Or, if you were 1K in 2011, do you keep getting 2 RPUs for each 25K that you fly in 2012?

Is this the same/different from how it was before $mi$ek took over?

I never before paid any attention to RPUs because under the old UA system, I could actually get upgraded > 70% of the time with CPUs so I never even bothered to use RPUs. Now, since $mi$ek has gutted the upgrade program and made CPUs nearly impossible to use, I'm learning that the only way to see the front of the plane more than once in every 20 or so flights is to either pay the upgrade fee or choose and book a flight that has RN availability and book the RPU into the RN bucket. Of course, there's always the ExpertFlyer waiting/monitoring game, but that's just not sustainable for someone who works for a living and also flies enough to qualify for 1K.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Old system: Only 1Ks earn CR1. Every quarter 10K EQM yields 2 CR1. Maximum 8 per year.

New System: Any elite earns RPU. 75K EQM = 2 RPU and every additional 25K EQM earns 2 RPU. There is no cap.

For people who fly between 100K-124K EQM, they lose 4 RPU: i.e. their earning is cut by half.

For people who fly between 125K-149K EQM, they lose 2 RPU.

For people who fly between 150K-174K EQM, they break even.

For people who fly more than 175K EQM, they gain more RPU.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by kb1992
Old system: Only 1Ks earn CR1. Every quarter 10K EQM yields 2 CR1. Maximum 8 per year.

New System: Any elite earns RPU. 75K EQM = 2 RPU and every additional 25K EQM earns 2 RPU. There is no cap.

For people who fly between 100K-124K EQM, they lose 4 RPU: i.e. their earning is cut by half.

Assuming flights were reasonably distributed across the year.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Wow. I had no idea it was this bad. So, as someone who is in the 100K-140K bracket, not only have my earnings been cut significantly, but also, I'm now competing with all fliers and not just with other 1K/GS. This is yet another one of $mi$ek's sneaky little changes that I'm only now starting to appreciate. And, since they are giving away premier status to anyone who purchases a card or signs up for the "challenge/match" it means it's even worse than if UA had granted this to all legitimate premier flyers who actually earned their status. It's no wonder upgrading has become so hard.

I appreciate your answer but there's one piece that is till not addressed.

If I was 1K last year, do I get 1 RPU for each 25K I fly in 2012? Or, do I get zero RPU until I reach 75K in 2012?
Old May 13, 2012, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu

If I was 1K last year, do I get 1 RPU for each 25K I fly in 2012? Or, do I get zero RPU until I reach 75K in 2012?
Bold above!
Old May 13, 2012, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You get zero until you reach 75k.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
You get zero until you reach 75k.
Bloody hell.

If he had said "hey, look guys - I need to make more money so I'm going to tear apart the airline as you know it and transform it into something that I think will get more bonuses for me" then at least we could have anticipated this.

Instead, for months upon months he looked us in the eyes and told us we were going to love these changes?

He is ruthless. I hate being lied to. I'm just now fully grasping the extent of the lies.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note

One small correction, cr1 earning was based in 10k bis in a quarter, not eqm, I believe, which led to the odd phenomenon that you could earn bis if you crossed a 10k threshold, regardless of whether you had earned that many in the quarter.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Wow. I had no idea it was this bad. So, as someone who is in the 100K-140K bracket, not only have my earnings been cut significantly, but also, I'm now competing with all fliers and not just with other 1K/GS. This is yet another one of $mi$ek's sneaky little changes that I'm only now starting to appreciate. And, since they are giving away premier status to anyone who purchases a card or signs up for the "challenge/match" it means it's even worse than if UA had granted this to all legitimate premier flyers who actually earned their status. It's no wonder upgrading has become so hard.

I appreciate your answer but there's one piece that is till not addressed.

It is by no means sneaky.

- 1Ks clear upgrades before platinums.
- It rewards high-value customers.

A very good change.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by blug
Sneaky is a word that can have all sorts of debatable implications, but this is nevertheless yet another change that negatively impacts the vast majority of 1Ks - no matter how you might try to spin it.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
Originally Posted by blug

- 1Ks clear upgrades before platinums.
- It rewards high-value customers.

A very good change.
LOL - VERY GOOD CHANGE - since when is devaluation a good change?
Old May 13, 2012, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This change was announced in Nov 2010 -- some 18 months ago
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...elopments.html

There was a temporary overlap of the old and new approach in 2011 for grandfathered 1Ks.
But in 2012, nada until 75K.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
I'm now competing with all fliers and not just with other 1K/GS.
Actually, only premier plats are added to the list, and only after they fly 75K in the year and then they have a prodigious 2 instruments. I think there will be many fewer RPU's out there and the competition for the 1K's will be reduced. I don't think you can get to Plat in a practical way with the credit card, and status matches should not be a factor.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
LOL - VERY GOOD CHANGE - since when is devaluation a good change?
It's a devaluation for 1Ks who fly just over 100K EQM. But it rewards Platinums as well as very high EQM 1Ks. It also encourages people to fly UA pass 100K EQM. I generally consider such changes to be good, or at least neutral, certainly not sneaky.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:57 pm

Making my wife a 1k as long as I am was pretty "sneaky" also, as it was really a pleasant surprise!

There are a lot of things that have changed for the worse, but a few RPU's, (basically 4 less per year), if one gets to 1k ain't a reason to flame about nearly everything and threaten to take your ball and go home, imo!

However, getting this upgrade thing brought front & center asap, and letting us know where we stand would be something to continue to holler about!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.