Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying UA ticketed Flight Segment(s) Out of Order? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show / Skipping / or Flying UA ticketed Flight Segment(s) Out of Order? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:08 am

You'll get miles for all segments actually flown. Just don't do it too often. (The definition of "often" varies a lot, but a handful of times or fewer a year should be fine.)
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
You can also call the day before and let them know you won't be on the final leg and they'll remove it, which will make the seat available for someone else. An agent told me they appreciate this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:11 pm

Airlines are beginning to sue passengers who skip the last legs of their itineraries.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/8407...cheap-flights/
The case was thrown out, but Lufthansa is appealing the judgement.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Airlines are beginning to sue passengers who skip the last legs of their itineraries.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/8407...cheap-flights/
The case was thrown out, but Lufthansa is appealing the judgement.
Yes, but. OP has multi-segment, multi-continent complex itinerary. It is by no means more expensive if last segment is excluded. Even RTW fare would be be less expensive with 1 less segment. So I see no cause for airline to be concerned and no basis for any claw back effort based on this case.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
You can also call the day before and let them know you won't be on the final leg and they'll remove it, which will make the seat available for someone else. An agent told me they appreciate this.
I wonder if doing that would immunize you from any airline claims you were evading fare rules.

Anyway, unless including the last leg would somehow make the ticket a lot cheaper than stopping where you actually plan to stop United wouldn't have a basis to claim you were evading fares, so there's no worry. The only time there's a plausible concern is as in the linked Lufthansa example, where you can save a lot of money by dropping the last leg.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
Yes, but. OP has multi-segment, multi-continent complex itinerary. It is by no means more expensive if last segment is excluded. Even RTW fare would be be less expensive with 1 less segment. So I see no cause for airline to be concerned and no basis for any claw back effort based on this case.
given the lack of detail on the itinerary, and even if you had that, lack of fare rules posted, etc, I’m not sure how you could conclude that it would be more expensive with vs. without the last segment. Fares are always O-D, and can be different for various reasons including fare environment, cities involved, competition, etc. there is no way to know which fare would be more expensive as airlines don’t price based on number of miles flown.

OP now has a segment which they are not planning on using. While OP will almost surely not have any consequences (as long as this isn’t a frequent habit), it’s likely not consistent with the fare rules. Calling into change it to terminate in a connection city would result in a change fee, as well as any fare difference (which might be cheaper, or might not). Technically, OP should change, but most people on here likely wouldn’t bother (myself included).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Technically, OP should change, but most people on here likely wouldn’t bother (myself included).
Assuming that OP is still planning to get back to that last city -- e.g., if it's home -- I'd at least call and find out if there's a fare difference. The change fee could be less than buying a new ticket.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by CIT85
US-NRT-GUM one way is much less expensive. You can arrange a multi month stop in NRT and it is still less expensive.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:51 pm

Goal is to get from AKL to BOS.
AKL-SFO-LAX ticket considerably cheaper than AKL-SFO, so I booked it. I'll have luggage, no way around that. (AKL-SFO-BOS wasn't even a consideration - crazy price).
Anyone see a reason why I can't claim my luggage at SFO, go through Customs, and then head to JetBlue terminal for my hours later SFO-BOS flight, skipping the SFO-LAX leg altogether? I'm Mosaic so have lots of options for the JetBlue flight home.
And since I'm flying business (Polaris) is there anyway to experience the SFO arrivals lounge too?
Without luggage, this would be so easy, but there's no way I can avoid checking luggage.
Worst, worst case is I fly the final SFO-LAX leg, then JetBlue LAX-BOS, but JetBlue SFO-BOS flights are pricing much lower than LAX.
Appreciate any insight.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by acker
Goal is to get from AKL to BOS.
AKL-SFO-LAX ticket considerably cheaper than AKL-SFO, so I booked it. I'll have luggage, no way around that.
Hope this is a one way ticket - because if r/t, the whole thing will be cancelled the minute you miss your second leg.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:04 pm

Yeah yeah yeah. O/W.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by acker
AKL-SFO-LAX ticket considerably cheaper than AKL-SFO, so I booked it. I'll have luggage, no way around that. (AKL-SFO-BOS wasn't even a consideration - crazy price).
Anyone see a reason why I can't claim my luggage at SFO, go through Customs, and then head to JetBlue terminal for my hours later SFO-BOS flight, skipping the SFO-LAX leg altogether? I'm Mosaic so have lots of options for the JetBlue flight home.
And since I'm flying business (Polaris) is there anyway to experience the SFO arrivals lounge too?
You should be able to do this. You reclaim your baggage at customs; just keep it with you instead of rechecking it. You should have access to the Arrivals lounge (landside) or the Polaris Lounge (airside) assuming your AKL-SFO segment is on UA metal, but I would only access the lounge if it's before you get offloaded from SFO-LAX.

Note that what you are doing is a violation of the Contract of Carriage and so, if UA cared to notice, they could try to sue you. However, doing it as a one-off, with SFO-BOS on B6, is extremely unlikely to draw their attention. Just a note to keep your head down.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by findark
You should be able to do this. You reclaim your baggage at customs; just keep it with you instead of rechecking it. You should have access to the Arrivals lounge (landside) or the Polaris Lounge (airside) assuming your AKL-SFO segment is on UA metal, but I would only access the lounge if it's before you get offloaded from SFO-LAX.

Note that what you are doing is a violation of the Contract of Carriage and so, if UA cared to notice, they could try to sue you. However, doing it as a one-off, with SFO-BOS on B6, is extremely unlikely to draw their attention. Just a note to keep your head down.
Many thanks for your input. If we didn't have luggage I'd ditch the last leg without a second thought. In the end, I found a decent SWA LAX-PVD fare so with my CP, it all works out. We'll flly the entire itinerary, AKL-SFO-LAX, and it's less jerking around.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA/UAL/DEL
Can I skip a flight on a mult-city Itinerary?

Sorry I searched, I'm sure the answer is in here but could not find it.
I'm booking the below in business class. There is no way I will make the LHR-ZRH segment. When I change it to the same flight the next day or even a later flight the whole itinerary doubles on google flights and United site.
The LHR-ZRH segment I can make is bookable separately for $120. Would UAL cancel the rest of my itinerary if I skip that LHR-ZRH segment? Thanks.

SFO-LHR United
LHR-ZRH Swiss
ZRH-TLV Swiss
TLV-SFO United

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 2, 2019 at 5:42 pm Reason: Merged into consolidated thread
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If it's simply a connection at LHR, and it's bookable, then you'll be protected as required. If you have a stopover, and you're saying you can't actually make the flight that you're planning to book, then you're gambling, at best. You might be able to invoke some version of flat-tire with a sympathetic agent and get yourself rebooked onto a later flight, but it's not guaranteed and I wouldn't personally take that risk. If you do, definitely don't just skip the flight - that'd be a no show, and you won't be coming home.

This leaves aside the the ethics question around knowingly booking a flight you won't make in order to save $$ -- that's an individual decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.