Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Repooc17
From my personal experience, I avoid mixing any personal and work travels...any adjustments from itinerary change repricing just make it wholly complicated from a settlement/reimbursement standpoint. Also, work has no business knowing what my personal itinerary is.

Personally, I would fly the two unnecessary flights, but that's just me. I am someone who has flown from SFO to YYZ to start the first leg of personal travel, which was YYZ to SFO. On a separate occasion, I replied to my employer N O (and nothing else in the reply) when they asked me to stop by SFO on my TPAC flight home to east coast, to close a M&A deal. I flew PEK to EWR as scheduled, and then separate EWR to SFO roundtrip when I was good and ready....
I second this. While it may be a waste of a work day, I wouldn't ever change my vacation ticket, at personal expense, just to not take a leg. I, too, have done some oddball things to fly home from a work trip, just to turn around and head to the airport for a personal trip. If this were two work trips, I would totally be changing flights to avoid flying home just to catch the first leg. In that case, I'm not paying out of my pocket for the things my employer wants me to do.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 4:22 pm

Ah!! The classic American WLB dilemma .. never ceases to amaze me!
Old Dec 7, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I agree that keeping personal and work travel separate is a good thing…hence the separate nested flights. But when you live in Hawaii, returning and stArting a separate trip is both time consuming and expensive. And nesting flights is what caused the issue OP is asking about.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cmculp
I agree that keeping personal and work travel separate is a good thing…hence the separate nested flights. But when you live in Hawaii, returning and stArting a separate trip is both time consuming and expensive. And nesting flights is what caused the issue OP is asking about.
In OP's situation, would think ex-PDX lowers the price of the vacation trip. If OP is okay with repricing, then problem solved - drop last segment to PDX, and reprice starting from SFO.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by malgudi (Post # 10)
Ah!! The classic American WLB dilemma .. never ceases to amaze me!
WLB = work-life balance
Kmxu and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:37 am

I have a flight booked from MSY to my final destination Montreal (YUL) via a tight connection in Chicago (ORD). I'm now thinking of wanting to spend a couple days in Chicago and there is a cheap flight back from ORD to YUL that I can book directly with United/AC a few days later.

Question: How much of a risk is there if I skip that flight to ORD-YUL - booked with mileage plus number - and fly *A quite frequently but have never skip a leg before purposely but definitely have missed flights either due to being late (Vegas late last year), poor/tight connections etc. and then rebooked a separate flight to my final destination without raising any red flags so far.

Planning to have no checked bags

Last edited by frustratinglytraveling; Jan 13, 2024 at 11:39 am Reason: proof reading and additional info
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frustratinglytraveling
I have a flight booked from MSY to my final destination Montreal (YUL) via a tight connection in Chicago (ORD). I'm now thinking of wanting to spend a couple days in Chicago and there is a cheap flight back from ORD to YUL that I can book directly with United/AC a few days later.

Question: How much of a risk is there if I skip that flight to ORD-YUL - booked with mileage plus number - and fly *A quite frequently but have never skip a leg before purposely but definitely have missed flights either due to being late (Vegas late last year), poor/tight connections etc. and then rebooked a separate flight to my final destination without raising any red flags so far.

Is this a round-trip or one-way to YUL?

If OW and not bags, you are generally OK. The worst case would be a schedule change or irrops and UA tries to route you thru a different airport. Then you will have to get you back route thru ORD.

For a round-trip, this is a problem an the return will be canceled
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

No risks.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
FWIW, if you have UA status, you can actually Same-Day Change (SDC) upon arrival at ORD and schedule your subsequent flight up to 24 hours later for free (depending on availability). The benefit is unlimited and you can keep doing so as often as you want, moving to progressively later and later flights. I've used this to have a several-day stopover in a layover city without issues (and then creatively add segments for more miles, at least back in the day when mileage was based on miles flown).

I do not believe this extends to *A status that is not with UA (e.g. Star Gold), and of course if there's a cheap ORD-YUL flight for your desired date, that may be preferable to the anxiety over having to constantly change flights and race to the airport when nothing later is available but if you do have status, it's a fun way to play the game in the right situation (and not violate the CoC, not that they'll enforce it strictly in this case).
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:19 am

No-Show leg of open jaw booking

Say my departure trip is from city A to city B, and my return trip is from City C to City D.
The departure trip involves a connecting flight that connects in city E. So we have:
Departure: A->E->B
Return: C->D
E->B leg is not on United (still booked through United). If I no show this leg, will they cancel the return leg? Will they even know?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:28 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jesusneedsme
Say my departure trip is from city A to city B, and my return trip is from City C to City D.
The departure trip involves a connecting flight that connects in city E. So we have:
Departure: A->E->B
Return: C->D
E->B leg is not on United (still booked through United). If I no show this leg, will they cancel the return leg? Will they even know?
Welcome to Flyertalk.
Yes and Yes.
You can book two one-way trips to avoid the potential cancellation.
Good luck.
SPN Lifer and JPG3392 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.