Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, there's a chance that you wouldn't be able to get your checked bag in SFO. How large of a chance, it's hard to say, but it's definitely nonzero. If you buy the ticket as discussed, neither LH nor UA is obligated to bring you to SFO. Suppose the TLV-SFO flight is canceled or delayed; UA can re-route you on TLV-EWR-SEA, TLV-FRA-SEA even TLV-EWR-SFO-SEA, in which case your bag is going on to SEA without you, as you'll re-check it at EWR and won't see it at SFO.
Perhaps I should have added, if there were IRROPS leading to arrival in SFO more than, say, 8 hrs late, going to SFO would essentially become worthless and Id just head home to Seattle. Seems like a win-win
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Normally in this situation I'd suggest scheduling the SFO-SEA flight to just under 24 hr the following calendar day to mitigate the impact of a delay causing a potential reroute (also possible that UA would actually check bags to SFO in this case?; others could verify), but it doesn't look like the early AM arrival timing of TLV-SFO would allow that.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
In which case you wouldn't have access to your bags at SFO. Exactly as I said.
there is no reason to spend $200 more because of a concern about irrops. when irrops occur, UA will roll out the red carpet to let you rebook on whatever new available flights you prefer, regardless of whatever flights UAs system automatically rebooked you on. just tell UA the exact flights you want. it would be pretty stupid to select new flights that create a checked baggage issue, so dont be stupid by telling UA you want such flights. if you have checked bags, tell UA you want rebooking on the next days flight, or the same day routing via EWR w/ an SFO overnight, or route via FRA so SFO remains first point of entry.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Colin
there is a zero percent chance United will decline an irrops request for rebooking on the next available flights as per original routing. zero. literally zero.
if the flight next day is available ... sure, UA will oblige. Ever seen sold out flights for days in particular when a cancellation happens? That'll mean you are left with an expensive choice (UA won't pay) to stay multiple extra days or take a re-route and then needing to deal w/ your bags. There is a non-zero risk. The chance is low, but far from zero ... I have seen! Assuming UA will allow non-logical re-routings (and eat the airport fees) involving partners when they have space on their own metal ... ugh ...
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icedancer
Perhaps I should have added, if there were IRROPS leading to arrival in SFO more than, say, 8 hrs late, going to SFO would essentially become worthless and Id just head home to Seattle. Seems like a win-win
If your intent is to spend time in San Francisco and then head back to Seattle, try pricing it out that way. Your fare may allow for a free/inexpensive stopover in SFO. Alternatively, if you only need one night in SFO, it won't create a stopover, per se, but if your stay in SFO is less than 24 hours you should get the same price as if you took the next flight to SEA (assuming there's availability in the appropriate fare class).
SPN Lifer and icedancer like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:56 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
2 Stops then reaching destination

YVR FRA PRG (off in PRAG) VIE

Want to book this as award travel. If I do not make it a RT but book the return as a one way, I don't think UA can do much about it. Carry on only. Never done this before, but UA's connection are in most cases lousy unless you are ready to shell out 200K+ Just looking for negative advice as to why I should not do this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo

Want to book this as award travel. If I do not make it a RT but book the return as a one way, I don't think UA can do much about it. Carry on only. Never done this before, but UA's connection are in most cases lousy unless you are ready to shell out 200K+ Just looking for negative advice as to why I should not do this.
The primary reason not to do this would be that UA well, LH, since this appears to be an LH itinerary has no particular obligation to send you to PRG. They can put you on FRA-VIE instead and since this trip is covered by EC.261, they very well might try to do so if FRA-PRG is cancelled or delayed.

In theory, UA could take much harsher action, but Ive never heard of them doing so for a one-off.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sfo
I don't think UA can do much about it.
If they wanted to, they could shut down yhour MP account and ban you from flying United. Hidden city ticketing is expressly forbidden by the CoC.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 6:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sfo

Carry on only.
carry on is crucial. Worst case you end up in VIE and a short train trip back to PRG

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If they wanted to, they could shut down yhour MP account and ban you from flying United. Hidden city ticketing is expressly forbidden by the CoC.
Possibility, but has that ever been reported on FT for an one-off case?? For repeated cases, yes but one-off??
There are a lot of things that could happen but don't in the real world.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
has that ever been reported on FT for an one-off case?? For repeated cases, yes but one-off??
Just because it's never been mentioned doesn't mean it's never happened, and to proclaim that it's 100% safe is completely irresponsible. Each person must decide in their own risk tolerance.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sfo

For clarification, this would be booked through UA but no UA flights at all, correct?

If you can save a boat load of miles, just book it.

You wouldn't want to know how many flights (many different carriers) I have "missed" over the years

If you really want a negative, I got a stern email from Brussels Air for missing multiple flights...go talk to UA for making EWR-BRU into EWR-BOS...mmmkay? For once I was legit and got a strongly worded letter
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
carry on is crucial. Worst case you end up in VIE and a short train trip back to PRG
THIS! Dn't overthink it.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just because it's never been mentioned doesn't mean it's never happened, and to proclaim that it's 100% safe is completely irresponsible. ...
And to proclaim it isn't, based on zero evidence, isn't that irresponsible.
Stroking fears of folks in legitimate cases of a missed connection or change of plans or this simple missed one-off situation about repercussion that will not happen is not helpful either. There is perhaps a potential discussion about the morality of this perhaps but until I hear of such severe repercussions in an one-off case, i will worry about other unlikely events.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2022 at 2:17 am
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:17 pm

And to proclaim it isn't, based on zero evidence, isn't that irresponsible.
Stroking fears of folks in legitimate cases of a missed connection or change of plans or this simple missed one-off situation about repercussion that will not happen is not helpful either. There is perhaps a potential discussion about the morality of this perhaps but until I hear of such severe repercussions in an one-off case, i will worry about other unlikely events.
What interest does UA have, financial or otherwise, if a partner segment is dropped from an award fight? Revenue, I get. But award, I don't see how it's worth the trouble. Is it clear that the CofC covers non-revenue travel? Are there any examples on FT of UA (or any airline) pursuing this for one-off award travel?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
What interest does UA have, financial or otherwise, if a partner segment is dropped from an award fight? Revenue, I get. But award, I don't see how it's worth the trouble. Is it clear that the CofC covers non-revenue travel? Are there any examples on FT of UA (or any airline) pursuing this for one-off award travel?
The US DOT has pretty consistently held that award tickets are revenue tickets (see, e.g., the handling for denied boarding compensation among others) and the UA CoC
Rule 3 Application of Contract
These rules constitute the conditions of carriage upon which UA agrees to provide Domestic and International Carriage and are expressly agreed to by the Passenger. These Rules are also the tariffs filed by UA in accordance with certain government regulations.
Note there's no reference to cash payment or distinction between a traditional or award ticket...

The "financial" interest UA would have is in whatever they have to pay the operating carrier for the reservation; the "other" interest would be the general integrity of their inventory management and ensuring to the extent possible no seat flies empty. Practically, however, if done once or infrequently it's unlikely to catch UA's attention -- its when it's done with frequency that the algorithms are more likely to perk up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.