Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Yes, if you don't get on the BRU-FRA flight the remainder of your itinerary will be cancelled. They will assume you are also not taking the FRA-EWR flight.

You should call to determine whether you can change or cancel the BRU-FRA flight beforehand and figure out the relative expenses involved.
Thanks. I'm able to adjust the itinerary online but it essentially tries to make me re-purchase the same FRA-EWR flight that I already have. Annoying.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dawn_patrol
Thanks. I'm able to adjust the itinerary online but it essentially tries to make me re-purchase the same FRA-EWR flight that I already have. Annoying.
that is what it will be. It will completely re-price it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
You’ve purchased the fare BRU-EWR. Changing it to connect in FRA the night before will change the fare to BRU-FRA-EWR, which is likely more expensive. FRA-EWR is a different market than BRU-EWR.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by dawn_patrol
Yes -- and that's the right thing to do as the pricing may be very different from FRA - EWR versus the ticket you had -- which was BRU - EWR....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Planning to fly UA/LH SEA-FRA-TLV-SFO-SEA, and it seems the pure RT is $200 cheaper than terminating in SFO on the return. Will there be any problem if I get off in SFO and throw away the last SFO-SEA segment? Is there any chance I *wouldn't* be able to get my checked bag in SFO? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by icedancer
Planning to fly UA/LH SEA-FRA-TLV-SFO-SEA, and it seems the pure RT is $200 cheaper than terminating in SFO on the return. Will there be any problem if I get off in SFO and throw away the last SFO-SEA segment? Is there any chance I *wouldn't* be able to get my checked bag in SFO? Thanks in advance.
If you don’t make a habit of it, then I doubt you’d have a problem. You’ll have to claim your bags at SFO and re-check after clearing CBP, so there’s really nothing stopping you from just taking your checked bag and leaving the airport.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Concur, don't make it a regular habit like multiple times in a row or in a year and you are fine. I think many of us have done it on this forum on an occasional basis and never been dinged at all.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any chance I *wouldn't* be able to get my checked bag in SFO? Thanks in advance.
Yes, there's a chance that you wouldn't be able to get your checked bag in SFO. How large of a chance, it's hard to say, but it's definitely nonzero. If you buy the ticket as discussed, neither LH nor UA is obligated to bring you to SFO. Suppose the TLV-SFO flight is canceled or delayed; UA can re-route you on TLV-EWR-SEA, TLV-FRA-SEA… even TLV-EWR-SFO-SEA, in which case your bag is going on to SEA without you, as you'll re-check it at EWR and won't see it at SFO.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, there's a chance that you wouldn't be able to get your checked bag in SFO. How large of a chance, it's hard to say, but it's definitely nonzero. If you buy the ticket as discussed, neither LH nor UA is obligated to bring you to SFO. Suppose the TLV-SFO flight is canceled or delayed; UA can re-route you on TLV-EWR-SEA, TLV-FRA-SEA… even TLV-EWR-SFO-SEA, in which case your bag is going on to SEA without you, as you'll re-check it at EWR and won't see it at SFO.
none of the above is true. assume the exact opposite and enjoy the $200 saving.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Originally Posted by Colin
jsloan is 100% correct - in the case of irrops, everything goes out the window - individual flight segments are not guaranteed, just origin and destination
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by United747
jsloan is 100% correct - in the case of irrops, everything goes out the window - individual flight segments are not guaranteed, just origin and destination
there is a zero percent chance United will decline an irrops request for rebooking on the next available flights as per original routing. zero. literally zero.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There are no guarantees. The carrier is responsible is to transport passenger to destination; just because the routing goes through SFO, does not mean it will go through SFO especially if IRROPS occur. Is it likely, no, but doesn't mean it won't happen.

If you are skipping the last leg, I would advise not to check any bags. I understand this is easier said than done especially for INTL flights. OP can take the risk, probably everything will go as planned, but there is a chance however small thing might go sideways.

there is a zero percent chance United will decline an irrops request for rebooking on the next available flights as per original routing. zero. literally zero.
What if OP need to get back same day?
jsloan, SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
There are no guarantees. The carrier is responsible is to transport passenger to destination; just because the routing goes through SFO, does not mean it will go through SFO especially if IRROPS occur. Is it likely, no, but doesn't mean it won't happen.

If you are skipping the last leg, I would advise not to check any bags. I understand this is easier said than done especially for INTL flights. OP can take the risk, probably everything will go as planned, but there is a chance however small thing might go sideways.

What if OP need to get back same day?
if UA cancelled TLV-SFO, UA would let you pick same day TLV-EWR-SFO-SEA or next day TLV-SFO-SEA. just use your words.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if UA cancelled TLV-SFO, UA would let you pick same day TLV-EWR-SFO-SEA
In which case… you wouldn't have access to your bags at SFO. Exactly as I said.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Bottom line if you want your best chance of jumping off at SFO DON'T CHECK A BAG and hope for no IRROPS. The few times I have done this I NEVER check a bag, always adds to the hassle factor.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.