Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread. The active thread is Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass

Chase in conjunction with UA, as a renewal benefit for certain UA MP-branded Chase credit cards, offer one-time United Club (UC) access passes. {Hyatt also offers similar passes for their top elites.} These passes offer one-time access to the UC (with any airline same day BP) on a space-available basis. No guest privileges. The pass is only for UA operated clubs, cannot be used at non-UA operated lounges.

Note: Due to UC renovations and/or Polaris lounge construction, club capacity at most domestic UA hubs is constricted. Leading to some access restrictions for one-time passes -- especially at peak times.
One-Time Passes can now be redeemed at all ORD club location within capacity constraints. Customers are encouraged to use the clubs in B and F concourses as the C concourse club is currently under partial construction, with limited space.
At the EWR clubs in the C concourse, one-time passes are not being accepted when the clubs are approaching capacity.
For SFO, there is no access near the G / international gates for one-time passes. They are being re-directed to the E/F gate UCs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need the actual paper one-time pass?
Technically, no. All you need is a picture/scan of the pass number and bar code on the back of the day pass. The lounge agent will manually type in the number or ask you to scan the barcode on the scanner. UA states
A valid mobile or paper United Club one-time pass and boarding pass for same-day travel OR
A valid 15-digit one-time pass number and boarding pass for same-day travel
Can I upload/store the one-time pass in the United app?
Sadly, you cannot upload/store paper passes in the United app. However, as of Summer 2017, all new passes issued by the Chase United Explorer card are now loaded directly into the United app.

Can I use these one-time passes at partner/contract/*A lounges?
No. These one-time passes are only used at actual United Club lounges world-wide. Any lounge identified on this page as being operated by "United Club" are eligible for use with one-time passes.

How many people can enter the United Club with one-time access pass?
One person per pass. Exception - UC policy is all children under 2 are not considered a formal guest.
A one-time pass admits one person, with no guests, to a United Club location. Exception: children under 2 years of age may accompany someone accessing a United Club location with a one-time pass.
Can I use one-time pass at multiple United Clubs on the same day?
No. You must surrender your day pass upon entering the club. If you plan to visit multiple United Clubs on the same day, you will need multiple day passes. Some clubs will allow re-entry and/or use of other UA Clubs at same airport -- inquire at the entry desk (it typically involves a stamp on your boarding pass). However, no way to use the same pass at a different airports.

Is a boarding pass required to use a one-time pass at a United Club?
Yes, a same-day boarding pass is required. It can be with any airline until Nov 1, 2019. "Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations."

Are in/out privileges allowed when using the one-time pass?
Technically, no. However, it is not out of the realm of possibilty if you ask the lounge attendant. YMMV, though.

Are minors allowed?
Yes, as long as they are accompanied by another person 21 or older. Remember, one day pass per person (lap child excluded).

Can I be denied entry into the United Club?
Yes. If an United Club is at-capacity, it will no longer sell day passes. It will also deny entry to those with one-time passes initially and other eligible travelers ( UC member, *G, premier cabin,...) could be delayed on entering once capacity reaches local limits.

Are expired one-time passes still usable?
Expired one-time passes can be used for a $25 admission fee, up to 30 days after the expiration date.

Can I give my pass to a family member or friend? How?
Yes. You can provide the physical pass to them. You may also provide them with the pdf version of the pass that Chase sends when your card renews, which they can print or scan from their phone. Finally, you can take a screenshot of the pass in the United App and email/message that to your family member. The pass will remain in your United App until it is used by someone else at a club, so it remains available for your use (unlike a physical pass).

I see these passes available for sell on eBay/Craigslist, ...? Are they valid? Is this safe?
It should be noted UA frowns on the third party trading, selling, or bartering of their coupons. As with any transaction of this type, it's always buyer beware; however, reports of issues are very rare.
The current going rate on eBay is $20-30 each for passes with a lengthy expiration date. Passes that expire in a few weeks can be had in the $10-15 range, sometimes even less as the expiration date creeps closer.

I cancelled my Chase United Explorer card. Are my passes still valid?
No. When you cancel your card, any unused one-time passes will be forfeited from your account--even if you printed out the barcode from the United app for later use. The time between card cancellation to pass invalidation is unknown; however, it is suggested that the passes aren't invalid until they disappear from your UA app. This is now an additional risk one needs to be wary about when buying one-time pass barcodes from eBay/Craigslist.

Entry is also available for $59 (as of 02/2016) at the UC itself or by purchasing within the United mobile app.
Print Wikipost

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeer0
Or flee to any other *A program. Works for me. Lounge Access>E+and super rare upgrades.

One simple reason the lounge are crowded is all the Explorer/Hyatt passes. That's an easy fix... UA's elites deserve access more than CC holders.
I'm glad that works for you. For me, E+ and (frequent) upgrades >> access to the United Club. If I wanted to use the club that badly, I'd buy a membership, which would pay for itself with just a couple of the E+ fees / P fares / TODs I'd otherwise pay. (Honestly, E+ by itself >> club access).

I was a President's Club member for a couple of years in the early 2000s. They were nice and quiet and provided space to sit and use my laptop; all of this was a contrast to the remainder of the airport. I've been in United Clubs recently. They now mirror the rest of the terminal; they're fine during off hours and crowded and loud during peak times. And I augmented my laptop with a tablet, so I can sit and watch a movie anywhere.

There's a reason that the United Club passes cost $20 on eBay.

BTW -- I understand that it's fashionable to blame the passes for the crowding, but I don't buy it for a minute. We're talking two passes per year per customer, with no guests allowed. The crowding comes because they've jammed together two incompatible business models: 1) lounge access for international premium cabin passengers / *G / UA Gold+ in international coach, and 2) paid subscriptions. You can fill (most of*) the clubs with either or those two groups of passengers. Trying to do both is straining the system.

Also, suppose that UA did allow its elites to use the clubs on all flights. Who do you think the club members are? I sincerely doubt that there are many United Club members who are UA Silver or below. (OK, maybe some 50 PQS silvers or something). If you're not flying enough to reach UA Gold, you're probably not flying enough to justify an annual subscription to the United Club. So, now they're going to get any number of cancellations, meaning that not only do they have to serve many, many more members (there are a lot of UA elites -- just look at the boarding group 1 line, and then remember that Gold is in group 2), they have to do so on lower revenue.

* They might have to close some of the outstation clubs like AUS if they were to eliminate paid memberships.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Also, having been in the ATL UC, you can not see the entire club from the entry desk, it could have been fuller than you were aware or the agents may have know they were expecting a new wave of valid customers or ..... but it does not really matter.
Hah, imagine if he had actually been let into the club... We might be reading a complaint about how small it is, or how it doesn't have a full bar, and how crowded it is.

For those who haven't been to the ATL club, it's a very small club. Beer and wine are self serve, with the beer on tap. The club is all one room save for the small seating area across from the entry desks. There's no quiet to be had in this lounge since the food and drink area is along one side of the room, and the restrooms are in the rear.

I've also noticed that this club doesn't seem to turn away people who want to pay for entry or have one-time passes even when the club is near capacity. I've witnessed one guy who had a "shaggy" appearance (for lack of a better term) pay the $59 and was disappointed to see that only beer and wine was available and not a full bar. I've also heard (and had conversations) with frequent fliers that are along the lines of "You know you're in a Delta hub when THIS is all they have in a United Club"
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I thought I read somewhere that there is a one-month grace period for expired passes. I can now vouch that is not the case.

Per the lounge gatekeeper, it must be a valid pass that scans correctly into the system. That is the only way Chase will pay United for each one-time pass used.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I thought I read somewhere that there is a one-month grace period for expired passes. ....
You are thinking about ETCs.

Expired UC passes (in the past) have had a 6-month post expiration discount admission $25.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
But even then, the 6-month post expiration discount is an unwritten rule, so if it's ever rescinded, we have no room to complain.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by diburning
But even then, the 6-month post expiration discount is an unwritten rule, so if it's ever rescinded, we have no room to complain.
Written or not, UA can rescind anytime. BUT while the discount is offered, it is a partial benefit for some.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm glad that works for you. For me, E+ and (frequent) upgrades >> access to the United Club. If I wanted to use the club that badly, I'd buy a membership, which would pay for itself with just a couple of the E+ fees / P fares / TODs I'd otherwise pay. (Honestly, E+ by itself >> club access).

I was a President's Club member for a couple of years in the early 2000s. They were nice and quiet and provided space to sit and use my laptop; all of this was a contrast to the remainder of the airport. I've been in United Clubs recently. They now mirror the rest of the terminal; they're fine during off hours and crowded and loud during peak times. And I augmented my laptop with a tablet, so I can sit and watch a movie anywhere.

There's a reason that the United Club passes cost $20 on eBay.

BTW -- I understand that it's fashionable to blame the passes for the crowding, but I don't buy it for a minute. We're talking two passes per year per customer, with no guests allowed. The crowding comes because they've jammed together two incompatible business models: 1) lounge access for international premium cabin passengers / *G / UA Gold+ in international coach, and 2) paid subscriptions. You can fill (most of*) the clubs with either or those two groups of passengers. Trying to do both is straining the system.

Also, suppose that UA did allow its elites to use the clubs on all flights. Who do you think the club members are? I sincerely doubt that there are many United Club members who are UA Silver or below. (OK, maybe some 50 PQS silvers or something). If you're not flying enough to reach UA Gold, you're probably not flying enough to justify an annual subscription to the United Club. So, now they're going to get any number of cancellations, meaning that not only do they have to serve many, many more members (there are a lot of UA elites -- just look at the boarding group 1 line, and then remember that Gold is in group 2), they have to do so on lower revenue.

* They might have to close some of the outstation clubs like AUS if they were to eliminate paid memberships.
You make good points. It's a broken system with the paid memberships. But on the other hand, look at AC. They have the same memberships, and have no problems letting their elites use lounges.

As for my weighting, upgrades out of SFO are very tough unless you're Plat/1k/GS and even then not on all routes. I'd only be making gold, so for me it's almost a non factor. At a less premium home airport, I can see how you'd value that though. At SFO, the upgrade list can easily be >50 people on transcons or hub to hub routes.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:01 pm

You make good points. It's a broken system with the paid memberships. But on the other hand, look at AC. They have the same memberships, and have no problems letting their elites use lounges....
It is generally believed UA (& DL, AA) have a larger population of elites -- in absolute terms and percentages -- then other airlines.

Additionally the USA domestic market is much larger other domestic markets (China is 1/2 USA and # 3 India is much smaller).

The combination of these two would create a very different situation in the USA domestic market place for lounge access. Out of USA domestic hubs - probably 1/3 and more of the aircraft would be domestically eligible. The lounges would need to be nearly as large as the present public areas -- not a realistic scenario.

This is easily seen with the much smaller lounge usage at many international lounges (of course places like, LHR, FRA, NRT, HKG, ... are fairly active serving a large number of carriers -- but other major city airports are much more lightly used)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 2017 at 11:20 pm Reason: more
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for my weighting, upgrades out of SFO are very tough unless you're Plat/1k/GS and even then not on all routes. I'd only be making gold, so for me it's almost a non factor. At a less premium home airport, I can see how you'd value that though. At SFO, the upgrade list can easily be >50 people on transcons or hub to hub routes.
Fair enough. However, I still suggest that E+ is worth more than lounge access, and UA agrees. Lounge access, including the initiation fee, is $600 per year for a general member. Global E+ access for a traveler plus a companion, including the initiation fee, is $949 per year.

Anyway, it's a moot point, because obviously each of our strategies is working well for us. :-)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At SFO, the upgrade list can easily be >50 people on transcons or hub to hub routes.
And you think all those passengers should get free access to the UC? More than 50 pax per domestic flight at SFO?

As WineCountryUA has explained, your suggestion is totally impractical.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Okay, per above, I accept that I was being entitled and didn't deserve club access on those expired passes (but I maintain that passes shouldn't expire and that if ever there were an exception to be granted, it's the one for the 1K/GS who has an expired pass and who will be there for only 30 min).

Here's a new fun one:
I tried to use one of my non-expired passes in IAD, and I was told "club is over full; we can't accept this". Some other random dude walks in and offers to pay $59 and is allowed in. This seems wrong. (But I acknowledge that it's their terms).

I wandered further through the terminal to a different IAD lounge and got in.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
I get so tired of hearing that. Luckily, Priority Pass has upped their game with partnering with airport restaurants and lounges with their voucher program. Better value. Better drinks. Better food. Screw the lounges!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BankerManUSA
I get so tired of hearing that. Luckily, Priority Pass has upped their game with partnering with airport restaurants and lounges with their voucher program. Better value. Better drinks. Better food. Screw the lounges!
Thanks for the heads up on the Priority Pass expansion! Denver, which is a frequent destination, has always been a hole WRT lounge access. No longer.
It appears (quick search) that PP is using the restaurant voucher approach to fill holes like Denver. No changes (again, quick search) at airports with significant airline lounge participation.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As a paid member, he can use the United Club with a boarding pass on any airline. (The same is true when using a one-time pass.)

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
What about flying Aer Lingus from T2 @LHR but using one of my complementary UA 1-time visit pass from Hyatt? The link only states same day boarding pass and to me is a bit vague whether this situation is OK.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by headinclouds
What about flying Aer Lingus from T2 @LHR but using one of my complementary UA 1-time visit pass from Hyatt? The link only states same day boarding pass and to me is a bit vague whether this situation is OK.
The one-time passes can be used at anytime (subject to capacity controls/over crowding) as long as you have a boarding pass for any airline, departing or arriving within 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.