Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Answering my own post here, I got the dreaded SSSS for the second flight from LHR in a row. Odd.
Similar here. Second consecutive international arrival into the US. In May from DUB and last week from LHR. Two domestic trips in between and got Pre as usual, and the two departures from the US too.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
"SSSS" status is not determined by United or the airline, suggest looking into the discussion in Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads] in the Trusted Travelers forum
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Flying SYR-IAD-FRA-DEL-LKO on UA/LH/9W. Have a new passport. First tried to OLCI on web and got this message: "We need to verify your passport information before we can issue a boarding pass. At the airport, you can scan your passport at a kiosk for verification." I was able to verify the new passport on the app, but when trying to OLCI after that I'm getting: "You must present proof of a visa or other eligible documentation at the airport before a boarding pass can be issued." Not sure what visa they need to verify (Indian?). The annoying part is I can't pick LH seats and I imagine good seats may be gone by tomorrow.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smxflyer
Flying SYR-IAD-FRA-DEL-LKO on UA/LH/9W. Have a new passport. First tried to OLCI on web and got this message: "We need to verify your passport information before we can issue a boarding pass. At the airport, you can scan your passport at a kiosk for verification." I was able to verify the new passport on the app, but when trying to OLCI after that I'm getting: "You must present proof of a visa or other eligible documentation at the airport before a boarding pass can be issued." Not sure what visa they need to verify (Indian?). The annoying part is I can't pick LH seats and I imagine good seats may be gone by tomorrow.
Well since a visa is required for India they will need to check it.

I can always pick seats within 24 hours of departure on LH but never after check in when the first flight is on UA.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM

I can always pick seats within 24 hours of departure on LH but never after check in when the first flight is on UA.
Wasn't sure if UA would be the one to verify that since LH is the carrier taking me to India. Hmm, on LH.com it isn't letting me pick seats despite not being able to check in on UA.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For destinations that required a visa, I've always had the document check on initial check in.

Try the LH app. For some reason, LH's website has always been flaky for me.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

For destinations that required a visa, I've always had the document check on initial check in.

Try the LH app. For some reason, LH's website has always been flaky for me.
Exactly. You can scan a passport via the app and supposedly it remain on file (it did not in my instance five years ago, doing better now), but there is no way to verify a visa @:-)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: CX Gold
I received the information that "Your documentation must be verified at the airport before a boarding pass can be issued" despite that I've scanned my passport using the United app. Does it just mean that my passport was not verified successfully, or can it imply that a visa is needed?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where are you going?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Bringing up this old thread.

So for India, do they still require airport verification before issuing BPs. I ask since India has ETAs now (for tourist, at least), thought maybe they would be able to issue BPs through OLCI by now. But maybe not?

Also, for LH, do you mean 24 hours prior, or 23 hours - which is when LH OLCI typically opens. I'll be flying via UA/LH as well to India, but even if I wait until the last second to check in at the airport, will still be over 23 Hours ahead of LH segment (2 fairly long layovers before my LH flight). I understand I should get seats for the LH flights auto-assigned to me at check in (though I'm not quite clear if that would happen if I use the app to OLCI, or if that would happen when agents do the doc verification at the airport). I assume the travel authorization for an e-visa is good enough for UA/LH?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
As a nice datapoint.

Previously getting the "This is not a boarding pass. You are checked-in" message (either requiring a document check or SSSS) I would not really be checked in when departing the EU and placed on the Upgrade Standby List for a connecting domestic flight.

Today I am getting the TINABP message and am on the list for my domestic connection; so it seems some improvements have been made (or there's yet another reason why I'm getting the TINABP ).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by drowelf
In case you don't know, its often indicated by printing SSSS on the lower right corner of your boarding pass. I got an extra stamp too, from Canada TSA, that had to verified at the gate before I could board.

So now I'm really confused as to why I could not get a Boarding Pass during OLCI, unless its all related to this random selection process.
I think you've nailed it. You couldn't get a boarding pass during OLCI because you were marked as SSSS. Had you been an individual with mal-intent, and noticed the SSSS, you would've canceled your flight and rebooked so that you weren't subject to mandatory extra scrutiny.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I've had two recent trips to Germany -- both times, the outbound went off without a hitch, but on the return, I was SSSS'd on both in Frankfurt. The first time around I could only get my intra-Germany BP online and had to wait until I checked in at the airport to get the onward segments, but this last time I was able to get GER-FRA-USA boarding passes on the LH app the night before, with the FRA-USA showing SSSS.

I'm not sure why I'm getting SSSS'd. Unfortunately in both instances this also meant that my Trusted Traveler number was removed from my reservation and I did not have PreCheck when arriving in the US. Frustrating to say the least...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you have an overnight connection the first time?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Did you have an overnight connection the first time?
Nope -- both were same day TXL-FRA-SFO. Almost exactly the same flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.