Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I have suspicions that in the majority of cases those segments are marked as "checked in" (despite the "you are not checked in" messaging but whats really going on is boarding pass issuance is inhibited.
Aye.
Instead of "You are not checked in" the message should technically more accurately read "You are not completely checked in".
(Understand why they don't actually write that of course, as it would potentially just add to the confusion...)
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It has been reported the attempted checkin still sets the sequence number, so that will not be an issue
Well, (semi-)unfortunately, I cannot tell from this experience. I cleared off the hidden waitlist at T-23h.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It has been reported the attempted checkin still sets the sequence number
I am very skeptical of this information. I recently checked in for an international flight, with an originating flight from an outstation to a hub to an international destination. I could not check in online at T-24 (normal for this expat returning to my foreign residence).

I checked in at the counter at T-90 min (showing my permanent resident visa to a UA agent for the 30th? time). I received sequence #65 for a 70-seat E175. I was #98 for the subsequent intl flight for which I had attempted to check in at T-29 or so (a 737). I was far enough down the u/g list where I don't think the check-in time was going to affect me, but I can't imagine those sequence numbers reflect my attempted checkin.

I have done this exact flight many times, attempting to check in at exactly T-24, and as I look over my sequence numbers, I see sequence numbers far towards the capacity of the aircraft.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 6:52 pm

I'm connecting on to Brussels Airlines on the same UA issued ticket, got the "this is not a boarding pass" during online check in. Is this because they need to verify my (US) passport for entry to Ghana?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Miler, Bonvoy Titanium, occasional AA Gold
This is not a boarding pass

Flew ORD-CDG on UA, OLCI with no problems, TSA Pre all good out of ORD.
When I went to check in for return flight IN SAME PNR, got the message "This is not a boarding pass. You are checked-in but we are unable to provide any boarding passes for your itinerary via united.com" and then tells me to go to kiosk. ALSO -- travelling companion IN SAME PNR did OLCI with no problem.
Is this an SSSS? Never had that before and nothing's changed in my profile AFAIK
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by 60614
Flew ORD-CDG on UA, OLCI with no problems, TSA Pre all good out of ORD.
When I went to check in for return flight IN SAME PNR, got the message "This is not a boarding pass. You are checked-in but we are unable to provide any boarding passes for your itinerary via united.com" and then tells me to go to kiosk. ALSO -- travelling companion IN SAME PNR did OLCI with no problem.
Is this an SSSS? Never had that before and nothing's changed in my profile AFAIK
Yes, very likely SSSS, in my experience anyway. For CDG, you might want to head to the gate a little early, since they do security at the gate(s).
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM Miler, Bonvoy Titanium, occasional AA Gold
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Yes, very likely SSSS, in my experience anyway. For CDG, you might want to head to the gate a little early, since they do security at the gate(s).
Yes exactly as you described. It wasn't worth losing sleep over (which I literally did). Had to check in with gate agent (Gold, so lines weren't bad) and everything the same until I got to the gate and a private security contractor swabbed EVERYTHING -- clothes, shoes, electronics, inside of my carry-on. My first time as an SSSS-er. Hate to think what would've happened had I failed that. Still don't know why.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
. My first time as an SSSS-er. Hate to think what would've happened had I failed that. Still don't know why.
There is a random "selection" element to "SSSS"
Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...ding-pass.html
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes exactly as you described. It wasn't worth losing sleep over (which I literally did). Had to check in with gate agent (Gold, so lines weren't bad) and everything the same until I got to the gate and a private security contractor swabbed EVERYTHING -- clothes, shoes, electronics, inside of my carry-on. My first time as an SSSS-er. Hate to think what would've happened had I failed that. Still don't know why.
Blame it on hair gel. Back when TSA was swabbing hands, mine would set off the alarms. TSA would ask "Do you use hair gel?", "Yes I do". Apparently hair gel would set off the detector. Problem was, I don't use hair gel...
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat | *G
Originally Posted by TomMM
Blame it on hair gel. Back when TSA was swabbing hands, mine would set off the alarms. TSA would ask "Do you use hair gel?", "Yes I do". Apparently hair gel would set off the detector. Problem was, I don't use hair gel...
And shoe polish. TSA pulled me aside one time for shoe polish and the machine did not like it at all. Since then I don’t polish my shoes right before heading off to the airport.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ROCUAflyer
And shoe polish. TSA pulled me aside one time for shoe polish and the machine did not like it at all. Since then I don’t polish my shoes right before heading off to the airport.
Probably why a lot of airports have a shoe shine vendor after security.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by emcampbe

So for India, do they still require airport verification before issuing BPs. I ask since India has ETAs now (for tourist, at least), thought maybe they would be able to issue BPs through OLCI by now. But maybe not?

I'm also wondering the same thing. Flying EWR-BOM this month.

I know in the past, when I flew LAX-NRT-SGN (or any destination in Vietnam), they wouldn't issue me a boarding pass until I went to the ticket counter and got my visa checked. But, India does eVisas now... should I just print out the approval email I got from Indian immigration?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Checked in for United flight today, received boarding passes for the domestic Transcon and the transatlantic on UA metal. The final leg ZRH-BCN on Swiss I didn’t receive a boarding pass. Is this because Swiss has a 23 hour check-in period. I didn’t think it would be an issue as it’s all on one ticket issued by United. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Any issues checking in at the gate for an outstation-hub-EU trip? Flying in J, but it would seem weird to have to re-check in at EWR to get my onward boarding pass. If so, can it be done without leaving airside?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iplaybass
Any issues checking in at the gate for an outstation-hub-EU trip? Flying in J, but it would seem weird to have to re-check in at EWR to get my onward boarding pass. If so, can it be done without leaving airside?
On all UA itins, no. Even with partners, generally no. The OP seems to have a special case. Sometimes the partner will re-issue the BP at the gate. But on a single ticket there should be a reason to go airside. Sometimes you may need to go to a transit desk/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.