Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Old Mar 19, 19, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus View Post
I received the information that "Your documentation must be verified at the airport before a boarding pass can be issued" despite that I've scanned my passport using the United app. Does it just mean that my passport was not verified successfully, or can it imply that a visa is needed?
Neither. I recently received the TINABP message even though my passport was already scanned and verified on a prior trip (though it was not the first choice listed in my profile). No visa was required for this country. However this is the second time that this has occurred when I have an international connection at ORD.

My conclusion is that I will receive the TINABP message when (1) the first flight is a domestic connection, because UA does not want me to start my journey without verifying my passport and/or visa and/or (2) the country has a visa requirement (same rationale) and/or (3) At checkin, I select a passport that is not the default choice on the app.
Old Mar 20, 19, 5:46 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Just had the "this is not a boarding pass" occur with on-line check in for CDG-SFO tomorrow. This hasn't happened to me in years. Anything to worry about or just SSSS or random app problem?
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:31 am

Old thread, but likely same problem:

I found it was my travel agent had a slightly different combination of first name + middle name/initial + last name than my United MP profile.

Agent fixed my Sabre profile, matter fix.

Though if you are a SELPAX/SSSS -- which seems to happen more often on flights INTO the US than within or out, it may still happen.

It bites when you are trying to score a CPU based on your check-in time.
Old Apr 6, 19, 2:03 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
So had this on my LHR-IAH flight today and got the SSSS. For the domestic leg I asked TSA to check me to stamp the IAH-SAN flight and they told me to go and get a new BP and there will be no issue with boarding. When I did this in SFO last time I was sent back to TSA for the additional security even though I had a new BP.

Fingers crossed it works for my flight tonight. Personally I would rather they just did the additional security check but they seemed reluctant.
Old Apr 6, 19, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
For the domestic leg I asked TSA to check me to stamp the IAH-SAN flight and they told me to go and get a new BP and there will be no issue with boarding. When I did this in SFO last time I was sent back to TSA for the additional security even though I had a new BP.
I have to say that I did not understand your statement. What is this about asking TSA to stamp the boarding pass?

I had SSSS this week on FRA-ORD. When I arrived at ORD, I asked the UA customer service agent to reprint a boarding pass after unchecking me. They confirmed that my GE number was on the reservation. My new boarding pass had the TSA PRE.
Old Apr 6, 19, 10:54 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
I have to say that I did not understand your statement. What is this about asking TSA to stamp the boarding pass?

I had SSSS this week on FRA-ORD. When I arrived at ORD, I asked the UA customer service agent to reprint a boarding pass after unchecking me. They confirmed that my GE number was on the reservation. My new boarding pass had the TSA PRE.
Sorry for any confusion.

I did what you did this trip in IAH but the BP needed to be printed before I went through security/TSA. Last time in SFO I had the UC I SFO reprint the BP and when boarding the plane I was refused as I needed to have the TSA stamp for the more detailed search. Fortunately the gate was near security but i was the last pax to board the plane even though I had been in Group 1.

So if you have the SSSS on the international leg, you need to get the connecting domestic flight BP reprinted at CS/ticket counter BEFORE going through security state side else the SSSS taint stays for the domestic leg.

​​​​​​​(It is unusual for me to have the BP for the domestic leg reprinted if the originating carrier is United). For the most recent trip the BP never appeared on the app.
Old Apr 7, 19, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
So if you have the SSSS on the international leg, you need to get the connecting domestic flight BP reprinted at CS/ticket counter BEFORE going through security state side else the SSSS taint stays for the domestic leg.
​​​​
That makes sense since the objective is to pass through a line that goes fast, not have to remove shoes, jackets, baggies, computers. And the most important thing: not to have to go through the nuddie machine. Reprinting the boarding pass after going through security defeats the purpose.
Old Apr 9, 19, 4:46 am

Programs: Continental
Ssss at ams

Got the Ssss today for flight back to sfo.
So far nothing different, went through security and passport control no problem. Will there be additional screening at the gate?
I asked the person at the check in counter if they do it like they do it at FRA with a separate area near the gates, she did not know what I was talking about.
Old Apr 9, 19, 6:38 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by hockey7711 View Post
Got the Ssss today for flight back to sfo.
So far nothing different, went through security and passport control no problem. Will there be additional screening at the gate?
I asked the person at the check in counter if they do it like they do it at FRA with a separate area near the gates, she did not know what I was talking about.
Yes, additional security check at the gate. They will swab electronics and your shoes. Once done they put a stamp on your BP..

Sometimes there is a pat down.