Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Pretty standard occurrence for me when continuing on LH or SK.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:21 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
This happened to me, in AMS transferring from UA to SK, got the same message, just walked over to the transfer desk in AMS and BP was issued immediately. I find this also happens sometimes UA to LH in FRA or MUC, again I just go to transfer desk and get the BP. I find it not a big deal, but the ad's by the airline for code sharing about seamless travel is definitely not true.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: United 1K
These seems to be true for every partner - PATHETIC. Even LH - I wanted a different seat and was told that I had to either talk to an LH agent in the lounge or wait until I got to MUC.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Pretty standard occurrence for me when continuing on LH or SK.
Yeah I wouldn't expect to be able to check-in on united.com for a flight operated by another carrier. It will almost always be an airport check-in or transfer desk situation. Not a really a big deal IMO.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Departing from the US, I also have never been able to get my SK or LX intra-Europe connecting flight BP issued by UA, whether through united.com or at the airport with an agent. Even if united.com says you have to see an agent at your originating airport, they won't be able to issue you a BP if it is a UA agent. I've tried both at the check-in counter as well as in the United Club.

I've always had to wait until I got to the city where the codeshare partner departs from (AMS, ZRH,...), to get the onward boarding pass at a transfer desk. At that point they reconfirm your checked bags, etc.

Strangely, when checking in from the other direction (e.g. checking in with LX in Europe), I am able to get LX to issue my UA boarding passes all the way through my final destination in the US...
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfo
This happened to me, in AMS transferring from UA to SK, got the same message, just walked over to the transfer desk in AMS and BP was issued immediately. I find this also happens sometimes UA to LH in FRA or MUC, again I just go to transfer desk and get the BP. I find it not a big deal, but the ad's by the airline for code sharing about seamless travel is definitely not true.
If UA won't issue the LH BP you can avoid the transfer desk by doing OLCI directly with LH.

However, on my last UA-LH connect UA was able to issue the LP BP with no problem, and LH actually accepted it as is. In the past they've always wanted to reprint it at the lounge/gate wherever I was connecting.

UA at AMS has always been spotty for OLCI, even for a UA flight, but since I generally stay at Schiphol my last night I just stop by the chicken and print it the night before. Usually works, but seemingly randomly sometimes it won't.

I've had very bad luck with LH checkin on an ITIN booked on 016 stock. Neither OLCI or the machine at the airport works, so I need to go to an agent who then seems to spend more than the usual amount of time typing away.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Let me add some info. Online checkin got my BP's for all of the UA flights, BOS-SFO-ORD-LHR. It only gives me the "This is not a boarding pass" issue for the SK flight (LHR-CPH). Do you think the "this is not a boarding pass" will be good enough for the transit in LHR? I'll only have that until I can change terminals, re-clear security and get to the transfer desk.

Maybe, I might have to clear UK immigration & customs to go airside for SK check-in? This is all on the same 016 ticket stock.

Originally Posted by og
Are you in an exit row seat for LHR-CPH?
Nope. Just a regular economy seat. I'd previously called SK to get a seat assignment.

Originally Posted by aindfan
I don't have personal experience traveling on SK, but are you able to check in for LHR-CPH on the SK website using your SK PNR? (That's what I would have tried on LH.)
I tried. But, it didn't work. Said that I needed to wait (still 24+ hours before the SK flight).

Originally Posted by raybolt
I had that note for a trip earlier this year EWR-ua-NRT-nh-HKG for the NH flight. The agents at EWR couldn't do anything about NH BPs and said I had to wait until the xfer desk at NRT.

-dan
Odd. The couple of times I've flown NH (booked as a UA codeshare), the kiosk has even given me a BP. It doesn't scan at the NH gate though. NH has to re-print one to get it to scan.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
These seems to be true for every partner - PATHETIC. Even LH - I wanted a different seat and was told that I had to either talk to an LH agent in the lounge or wait until I got to MUC.
Same thing here ... UA will issue my BP for LH upon upon kiosk, but will give me and my companion random seperate seat assignments, even on an empty LH flight ... I call LH and they won't change it, can't go online to check in on LH's flight because ticket issued by UA, so I can't change the seat assignment ... told that the only way to change the seat is when I arrive in FRA or MUC; ridiculous.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TexasMatthew
Same thing here ... UA will issue my BP for LH upon upon kiosk, but will give me and my companion random seperate seat assignments, even on an empty LH flight ...
Um, LH seat assignment seems to be working again (IIRC the thread is on LH forum), so you should be able to assign your seat prior to checkin. I was able to do that for my flight using UA miles.

Of course, going OT here, as it's not UA Int'l checkin
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I am at the airport now for my BOS-SFO-ORD-LHR-CPH flights. UA staff at ORD can't check me in for the SK flight because it is booked as a code share. They say that if it was booked as an SK flight they could check me in and print a BP.

I hope that LHR transit lets me through to the transfer desk with just an itinerary print out.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:52 am
Suspended

Ran into this a couple of weeks ago even worse it wouldnt allow me to even OLCI w/o getting the BP. I was flying on 1 UA flight no others, was told my PP and info needed to be checked and enetered into the system. I asked if the system changed since Jan, was told no , so I said my PP was swiped twice in Jan when I flew NY-SGN and back only on UA

Got to EWR and the agent only looked at my PP to make sure it was me and no different then looking at anyone elses, the kyosk went thru its thing no different then any other time.

My patience is wearing very thin, now if they can only locate my bag from yesterday YYZ-EWR which AC says they passed off to UA but UA left it or sent it somewhere
Old May 5, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, KE Morning Calm, Hertz Gold, SPG Plat
OLCI not working with international segment

I have a EWR-ICN tomorrow and when i just tried to check in, it says check in is not complete and I must check in at the airport to verify my passport.

So I'm still not checked in and my name is not showing up on the upgrade standby so when I called UAL helpdesk, they said there's nothing they can do when i asked them if they can split the flight between domestic and international.

This is not the 1st time i am traveling with this passport and I don't know why they are not letting me check in.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 5, 2014, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Happens pretty regularly if you read this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-checkin.html
Nothing you can do ... except get to the airport in a timely manner.
Old May 5, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Passport or Visa may Need Verification

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Happens pretty regularly if you read this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-checkin.html
Nothing you can do ... except get to the airport in a timely manner.
I agree to get to the airport timely. Have you presented your Passport to UA in the recent past? Or have some need for a Visa? If so, you need a UA Employee to verify the same (Thus the message you have received from OLCI) Its simple, just check in as normal at the Airport, You can even check in at a Kiosk. A Pop up will appear as to what need to be verified and an Agent will come to your Kiosk (verify the Documentation) Swipe their Card and viola. Your all set.. Hope this helps and Safe Travels
Old May 5, 2014, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You don't provide the name of your departure airport, but simply build in the time to physically check in with an agent based on your knowledge of that airport or the recommended check-in time. The counter agent will verify your passport and possibly other documents such as a visa if you are required to have one.

Presuming everything is in order, this should add about an extra 30 seconds to the process. If it isn't in order, you won't be flying so it really doesn't make any difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.